PDA

View Full Version : call back which is someone elses fault

huggytree
03-12-2009, 06:02 PM
i installed a toilet for a customer 4 months ago...it developed a problem after the homeowner had someone else install a water softner...

this toilet im finding has a fussy problem with debris in the water. I feel when they drained her water lines to install the water softner they either got some debris in the lines or some gunk broke lose....either way the toilet is now taking 5 minutes to fill...it should be their job to bleed out all the air in the lines and make sure everything is working properly.....but because i installed the toilet 4 months ago I have to be the one to fix it....that is if i want future business from her...

Part of the problem is the fussyness of this toilet..so im partially to blame..im considering not using it anymore because of the same issue....i know exactly what the problem is....

i could fight it out with the water softner guys....but they'd just blame me... since i want her as a future customer i have no choice but to eat the call back costs..i am 100% sure in my decision of taking the call back..it just hurts

anyone else have these problems? any suggestions?

im going to let her know it was probably caused by the other guys and let her know next time its the other guys repair

Steve B
03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure I'd make the comments at the end about it being the other guy's fault - unless you realistically think this might happen again. Why spoil the goodwill you are giving?

thx4yrtym
03-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't mention that the toilet is fussy. She might wonder why you used it.

It's fortunate that you know exactly what's wrong with it so the repair shouldn't take as long as it might otherwise.

For the cost of gas to get there and back it sounds like you have an opportunity to really impress this woman.( I'm assuming you are the one going back so that's really the extent of "call back costs" isn't it?)

Best of luck,

rezzy
03-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I think its one of things you will just grin and take care of. I think its just the cost of business. Although it may hurt to go back and correct, the customer will always like that you went out of your way to help them.

Escpcially since you know this is a problematic toilet. Dont start a flame war, just correct the issue and move on.

Spider
03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
I agree with the above - this is a goodwill trip, because yours is an excellent company, you are an excellent plumber and you look after your customers. Either don't mention or otherwise make light of who was really to blame.

Be sure to give her a handfull of business cards for her to pass on.

This is how you build raving fans!

huggytree
03-12-2009, 07:33 PM
she is already a repeat customer and may use me for a $15,000 whole house remodel she's planning....so seeing her again can only help me....

i may try to pull the screen out of the toilet...i really like that model and wish they wouldnt have changed the design...i complained to the manufacturer...i may try to get them to give me a replacement fill valve for free with each toilet..i can put the old style fill valve in....when products change these days its usually cheaping them out.

i wont complain to her...your all correct about turning the situation negative with extra comments...she is my favorite type of customer...she has tons of money and even gives me an extra $20 for a tip each time i show up......i have her on my schedule for when im in the area...so it will take 10 minutes and probably 10 min. of drive time.

Spider
03-12-2009, 09:21 PM
she is already a repeat customer and may use me for a $15,000 whole house remodel she's planning....so seeing her again can only help me.......Then be grateful for the opportunity of proving to her once again how great you are! Carry a small box of choclates with you.

orion_joel
03-13-2009, 01:04 AM
For 20 minutes time to fix it is hardly worth your time to even consider quibbling over doing the fix yourself. I mean you will probably spend more then 20 minutes arguing about it if you even try to shift the blame, better to take it as a goodwill gesture and be done.

huggytree
03-13-2009, 09:19 AM
spider...does anyone want candy from their plumber?...people make faces sometimes when they shake my hand(their thinking...."i have to go wash my hands now. i touched a plumber")......im always clean when i show up, but ususally leave dirty.

Patrysha
03-13-2009, 10:17 AM
The problem I would have with candy from a plumber is not the cleanliness factor, it's more about getting chocolate from somebody that is not family at a non-gift giving occasion.

Hubby gives me candy...cool :-)

Random man gives me candy...weirdness...

Spider
03-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Okay, then, some other little gift.

orion_joel
03-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Maybe something small sent afterwards, even if it is chocolate or candy. Doing it through the mail afterwards, kind of disconnects the weirdness i would think.

Spider
03-14-2009, 02:34 PM
When you have finished, leave a "Thank You" greeting card with a chocolate heart, on the kitchen counter. She can throw it away after you've gone, but the thought is still true and will be appreciated.

Besides, chocolate left on the pillow distinguishes the best of hotels. How many plumbers do you know who would do something similar?

That's one way to stand out from the competition.

huggytree
03-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Radio girl....she's my age and not bad looking.....the husband has already come home and said ' i leave you for 1 hour and come back and theirs a man in my house with you!'

i dont think gifts would be a good idea...

i may send movie tickets for both of them though!....we'll see how it goes.

she should have hired me for the water softner and this wouldnt have happened....i cant compete with water softner companies since they arent plumbers...

huggytree
03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
did the repair today..took 5 minutes....homeowner offered money...i said no (of course)

thank you for your business is what i said!