PDA

View Full Version : Business Course- Your opinions wanted

IT-GUY
03-11-2009, 08:53 PM
As a student I received the offering below in my email. I don't check my school email very often. So I missed this session. I'm wondering what you guys think of this, from what they say here? The website seems to be NxLevel.org They probably will repeat these courses if they have good attendance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Small Business Success Starts Here!
Small Business Planning & Management Course Being Offered

in partnership with Ivy Tech and theHoosier Heartland Small Business Development Center, begins another series of its NxLevel Small Business Planning & Management Courses.

The course is divided into 2 sections:

Section I -
"What's your big idea?; 4 steps to test the feasibility of your business idea," forthose thinking about starting a business or expanding an existing one.

Section II -
"Business Planning & Management," for those who have completed Section I or want toprepare a business plan for start-up or expansion. This course also prepares participants for the upcoming SUCCEED business planning competition!

The Courses will be held Thursday evenings from 6:00 - 8:00 pm, running February 19th through April 30.

There is a $69 fee for Section I and a $169 fee for Section II, or a total fee of
$199 if attendees sign up for both sessions.

Persons interested in these courses must register NOW to attend ONE of the FREE orientation meetings being offered.

huggytree
03-11-2009, 10:03 PM
i took a business coarse at the local tech college...worthless..they were run by business owners, but were so generic that it had no value..the title should have been 'should i go into business'.

most of the class was wasted on questions about people just 'thinking' about the possibility and not serious about it. the little they taught was so basic and vague that it had little to no value

all the business books i read have been garbage too....the books are all about theorys and big ideas...none will say..do this and this and this.....so vague that it almost means nothing

starting a business is rough for a while....you have to start from scratch with no help (normally)

recommendation- look for a mentor..someone in the same business who will teach you...i found someone...he got me 1/3 of the way there...this web site got me 1/3 more...and the last 1/3 i figured out over 8 months of part time.

to start a business without knowning how to run a business takes ALOT of sitting and thinking..working through the problems, coming up with new ideas, having a plan and another plan when that one fails.

vangogh
03-11-2009, 11:48 PM
For $69 you could always take Section I and see. Worst case is you're out $69 and you've wasted half a day.

I mostly agree with huggy about these classes. I took a few myself through the SBA and didn't really find them valuable. I won't knock taking courses though since their value can be highly dependent on both the teacher and the student. But it really depends on the specific class and how much you know going into it. Some people also do better in a classroom environment than others.

Books are actually a good way for me to learn. I like getting the theory and then experimenting with the practice on my own. I think you learn the most with a healthy balance of theory and practice.

If you can find a mentor that can be a great way to learn the ins and outs of your business, but a good mentor may not always be easy to find.

Again with the class I wouldn't expect to come out of it knowing everything you need to be in business, but it's not really a lot of money if you don't mind taking a chance. Even if you only learned one or two things it's probably worth the time and money. One advantage to taking classes is the networking you might do. Very dependent on who's in the class, but through some continuing education classes here I landed my last job through another student and also got my start in my current business by working for someone who had been one of my teachers.

IT-GUY
03-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Yep. I think I agree with you two. It seems a few years back I went to a SBA meeting here in my own town. Their 'big idea':) was to teach us how to write a business plan. It was free, and I suspect that this course offering could be about the same old crapola.

I'm not saying a written business plan is bad. I'm sure it is needed if one needs to get a bank loan to get started. But I will start out small, and at my age probably never become a business with a lot of employees etc.

Huggy, you're man after my own heart. My dad was a contractor. I actually worked for him to earn money to go to college. He had men working for him until he died. I saw some of the ups and downs of a family-owned business. In my mind I can not imagine him ever taking a business course, or ever having a written plan. His plan was simple. Work, pay your men, collect payments, pay taxes, stay out of jail.:D

nealrm
03-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I would say the course are worth about the same as the money and time you put into them. For a good course, $69 is not much and 4 hours is even less. Since you are a student, I would look into (or stay with) take business course at you school.

KristineS
03-12-2009, 12:35 PM
$69 isn't that much and attending the class simply for information isn't the only reason to attend the class. You might meet someone who can give you advice or provide support. Alternatively, the class might have valuable content. Even if you only get one good idea, it's probably worth it to go.

IT-GUY
03-12-2009, 11:16 PM
(This was in Word, didn't come out so good here, but you get the idea)

NxLevel
BUSINESS PLAN SYLLABUS
Spring 2009

Ses-sion Date NxLeveLSession NxLevelGuideChptrs Topic Assignment
1 Mar 12 1 & 2 1,2,3 Introduction, Overviews, Planning and Research(Guest Speaker: SBDC & Ivy Tech) Complete worksheets Section:1-9; 1-11; 1-13; 2-17; 2-21
2 Mar 19 6,9 34-35 Books, Records & ControlsFinancial Statements Complete Worksheet 6-75; 6-79 Complete pro-forma Balance Sheet and Income Statement
3 Mar 26 7 & 8 36-38 BudgetingSales ForecastingFixed AssetsCash Flow Analysis(Guest Speaker-Banker) Finish Worksheet 7-85; 7-89;7-91;7-93;7-95Write start up costs, capital equip-ment list, and personal financial statement; cash flow analysis
4 Apr 2 3 Part IV:13-19Part V:20-23 Legal StructureManagement TeamHuman ResourcesRisk Management(Guest Speaker) Finish Worksheets 3-27; 3-29; 3:31; 3:33Write Management Plan
5 Apr9 4 24-26 Marketing ResearchProducts & ServicesCompetitive AnalysisCustomer Profiles Finish Worksheets 4-47; 4-50; 4-51Write Market Analysis
6 Apr 16 5 27--30 Marketing Strategies:Location/DistributionPricingPromotional Strategies Finish Worksheets 5-57; 5-61; 5-63Write Marketing Strategy part of business plan
7 Apr 23 11 31-3340-41 SalesOperationsExecutive Overview Customer Service Finish worksheet 5-71Memorize Power StatementWrite Operational section of PlanDraft Executive Overview & Cover Pg
8 Apr 30 10 39 Sources of funding Executive Overview PresentationsEvaluations Presentation of Certificates

IT-GUY
03-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks Neal & Kristine,

I posted their syllabus above. There are 8 sessions. They don't say low long each one is.

I actually have mixed feelings about it.

Also, I just realized, I don't know if this is the $200 package or what. I don't think all of that would be included for $69. I need to email them and get them to clarify how they break down section 1 & 2. Hmmmmm....

Ivy Tech has a course which is an intro to business admin. I have their course outline, also. However, it is a PDF and I don't have software that will break it into text so I can post it on this forum.:rolleyes:

billbenson
03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
If you want to convert a pdf to word, someone posted this link last november and it worked well: Convert pdf to word - Convert pdf to doc - Convert online pdf to word (http://convertpdftoword.net/)

Also, if you want to get rid of the Word formatting, copy and paste it into a text editor such as notepad. It should get rid of all the formatting in the document.

As far as the class goes, I had a business class in Engineering school and the instructor and class were great. Its kind of the luck of the draw. If the class is running now, why not talk to the instructor and see if you can sit in on a class? IMO you can learn something from just about any class. Even if it's all theory, it gives you a basis to apply it to what you want to do. I took differential equations in college. I never used it for work, but I learned a lot that I applied to other things.

vangogh
03-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Its kind of the luck of the draw...IMO you can learn something from just about any class. Even if it's all theory, it gives you a basis to apply it to what you want to do.

There's certainly a luck of the draw element. Some teachers are good and some not so good. Some classes are filled with students at the same level and move at your pace, others don't

It's also important to realize that with any learning, school included, you tend to get out of it what you put into it.

IT-GUY
03-13-2009, 10:36 AM
COLLEGEWIDE COURSE OUTLINE OF RECORD
BUSN 101, INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS
COURSE TITLE: Introduction to Business
COURSE NUMBER: BUSN 101

CATALOG DESCRIPTION: Examines the American business system in relation to the economic society. Studies business ownership, organization principles and problems,management, control facilities, administration, and development practices of American business enterprises.

MAJOR COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Upon successful completion of this course the student will be expected to:
1.Identify the social, legal, and economic challenges of the business environment.
2.Illustrate the impact of ethical practices on business performance.
3.Differentiate between the legal forms of business ownership and organizational structures.
4.Describe the marketing mix/marketing concept.
5.Examine the principles of short- and long-range financial planning.
6.Explain the importance of purchasing and production and their impact on the success of an organization.
7.Describe the characteristics of the franchising industry.
8.Explain the importance of computer knowledge on the success of the organization.
9.Explain the impact of international trade on American business.
10.List and describe the human resource functions in business.
11.Explore career opportunities in business.
12.Identify the functions of management and their role in business.
13.Discuss communication and its effect on the business environment.

COURSE CONTENT: Topical areas of study include -
Business environment Operations Planning
Marketing Finance Organizing
Information systems Accounting Leading
Business ownership Ethics Controlling
Ivy Tech Community College1 BUSN 101

IT-GUY
03-13-2009, 10:45 AM
The above post is Ivy Tech's 'Intro to Business'.

IMHO, if I am going to take a business course of any kind, I think that one would be the better choice. Partly, because it is in my town so no driving. Secondly, because it looks more 'complete'. And another good reason, I am old enough that tuition is free. Only the books have to be purchased. I buy them form Amazon and still save about half. I'm a very frugal guy.:)

Anyone agree or disagree?

vangogh
03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
In town and free tuition would be enough for me. Is this course a once a week over the semester of is it still a one day thing? Just curious because of the books. If it's a one day course the books are likely more recommended reading, but a semester course you'll likely use the books.

IT-GUY
03-14-2009, 07:55 PM
In town and free tuition would be enough for me. Is this course a once a week over the semester of is it still a one day thing? Just curious because of the books. If it's a one day course the books are likely more recommended reading, but a semester course you'll likely use the books.

Oh, no not just a weekend course. It is a 3 credit-hour, full semester course. I did edit out a little before I posted the info. Sorry for the confusion. We have an Ivy Tech in our town. It's not someone coming in and doing a quickie presentation.:rolleyes:

Also, the other one is more than a day. But I am leery of it. It is associated with Ivy Tech, but not an official course. It appears to be 8 sessions. I never really found out what the $69 buys me. Probably just a teaser to get you to spend the $199 more, so I think I will pass on that one.

vangogh
03-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I thought this was a full semester course, but I figured I'd ask just in case. Seems like a good deal. It's not going to cost you anything. It's nearby. And there's enough time to get something out of it. You'll also be there long enough to potentially make a few connections.

While it is a class think business while you're there. If the opportunity presents itself to network take advantage of it.

bwat05
03-15-2009, 08:28 PM
I have had a few basic small business courses in the past.
I don't think that I really learned a lot from the textbooks themselves. However, some did have interesting case studies that the class would get into.
Also, usually there would be a couple of successful small business owners in the class who were there to learn the official fundamentals of small business management.
There presence usually spurred good practical conversation; and a decent instructor will relate those individuals' experiences to the syllabus.
In that respect, I enjoyed the courses for the most part and did get something from them.
I am slowly gearing up to start a business so I will hopefully be back in the classroom soon to gain whatever knowledge I can.

fountainhead
04-12-2009, 10:44 AM
it sounds funny that you need to spend around $199 for just a day, if you can get the idea that they want to teach you for free, there are lots of good articles to read on and there are lots of opportunities you can grab to start your own business and experiment on ways that will lead you to success, I prefer going to academies rather than paying just for one session and after the session you will found out that you are disappointed with what you have undergo for a day.