PDA

View Full Version : This was Brilliant I think

cbscreative
08-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I actually was going to post this on the old forum, but since I never did, now I can post it here. Because of things like DVR (or PVR or TiVO), I seldom get to see the commercials unless I am watching a show while it airs or something from a recording captures my attention.

A while back, I caught an ad campaign I thought was brilliant. Applebee's restaurant has this campaign where you can capture video of your group having fun at their restaurant. From what I could tell, winning entries could be featured in a commericial and there may have been some other prizes involved.

When I saw it, I had to admire the creativity and sheer brilliance. First of all, it gets their customers enthusiastically involved. Second, think of all the groups that would show up to videotape the experience, all the while patronizing the restaurant. Applebees wins twice. They get several groups celebrating at their restaurant, and they get lots of real video to choose from to feature in an upcoming commercial.

Personally, I already like Applebee's. For a large chain, I think they do a good job and have good food (not always the case so I like supporting the local non-franchise). With all the lame marketing out there, I couldn't help but admire this one, and I think on some scale, every small business could learn something from this.

This is not just about food or restaurants, I hope this discussion opens up to exploring how you can effectively market your business.

KristineS
08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Lots of companies do this now. One television show that has capitalized on this phenomenon brilliantly is the Colbert Report. They get people to send in videos on various subjects, or to take their raw footage and incorporate it into a video. They've generated quite a bit of buzz for the show that way.

cbscreative
08-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm not too concerned that others are using this approach, I just think that the underlying concept is being under utilized, but of course too much of the same thing is not effective either. The thing I admire about it is that is invites participation from customers. While so many advertisers are stuck in the past, those who are looking at interactive approaches are the ones who win. The bottom line is...engage your customers. Get them to become your source of referrals. This cited ad campaign is geared toward doing that.

Marcomguy
08-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Sounds like a great campaign. I also like the idea.

Online video is so hot, if there's any way you can incorporate video in your marketing, you should do it.

ErinWrites
08-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I agree that more and more, video seems the way to go.

In a year or two I'm going to revamp my website and update my whole brand identity. Since I enjoy speaking, I might just convert my more well-read articles into topical video segments on my site, instead of articles - to help out my business clients.

I'm a strong believer in the visual medium. And now that technology on most systems can stream video so quickly, I think it's well worth it to use this powerful approach to really connect with your customers.

I think a warm, engaging, informative video - done well and professionally executed - can tug the heartstrings more than any words can. And I'm a writer! Lol...

:-) - Erin

the goat
09-01-2008, 12:10 PM
While so many advertisers are stuck in the past, those who are looking at interactive approaches are the ones who win. The bottom line is...engage your customers. Get them to become your source of referrals. This cited ad campaign is geared toward doing that.

How long until this is referred to as Marketing 2.0?

KristineS
09-01-2008, 03:27 PM
How long until this is referred to as Marketing 2.0?

In some places it already is.

Ad-Vice_Man
09-01-2008, 06:07 PM
so this forum could reasonable be called SBF 2.0?

My son could be Eric 2.0?

This would eliminate alot of hassle in naming things.

the goat
09-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm going to start calling buffets restaurant 2.0 :D

KristineS
09-01-2008, 10:01 PM
I think the 2.0 thing has been overdone a bit now. It's like any buzzword. People start picking it up and then it gets overused and they move on to something else.

Paul Elliott
09-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Watch the first few minutes of the Jimmy Kimmel Show. He is incorporating ads into a lead-in comic skit. It's so corny its funny! . . . AND . . . you remember it! :D

I suspect it doesn't get knocked out by the TiVos of the world.

Paul