PDA

View Full Version : Copywriting Quiz

vangogh
03-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Found this copywriting quiz (http://www.grokdotcom.com/2009/03/09/how-persuasive-is-your-online-copywriting-quiz/) at GrokDotCom. It's not an easy quiz, but it does touch on some good points and is worth taking.

It's only 10 questions so shouldn't take you too long.

seolman
03-10-2009, 01:01 AM
well...after taking the quiz and scoring so badly I promise never to reveal the score ever...I realize my career in copy writing is a bust! :p

vangogh
03-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Funny. I did pretty good. I missed one question because I misunderstood that I could choose more than one answer. I do have the advantage of reading the GrokDotCom site and reading all, but one of their books.

I liked the quiz more because I thought it served as a good teaching aid than anything else. There were a few things you could learn right away, but even more you can learn how much there really is to copywriting.

Dan Furman
03-10-2009, 01:25 AM
I strongly disagree about one of the FAQ things... I don't care if the questions are answered within the text, a FAQ is a great selling tool. Done right, there is no downside to a FAQ.

I got 7 totally right, and would have had nine if I didn't goof up and choose more answers (like Steve, I didn't pay enough attention that I missed some of the instances where you could pick more than one.) The FAQ one I got wrong, because I disagree with it - in fact, in my mind, THEY got it wrong :)

vangogh
03-10-2009, 01:36 AM
The FAQ one was interesting. I can understand their points about the FAQ not linking back to sales pages and how if the questions are answered within the sales page it can help drive sales. I'm not sure you can't create a good FAQ page though. If you link out from it to your sales pages you already get past one of their objections and you can still answer questions within the sales copy while having the dedicated FAQ page.

seolman
03-10-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm a hopeless copy writer and I would do well to begin reading the GrokDotCom site that's for sure.

vangogh
03-10-2009, 02:14 AM
It's a good site and I do recommend their books. Inexpensive and quick reads with lots of good info.

Steve B
03-10-2009, 04:15 AM
I gave up after the first question. I disagreed with their answer. They said the two things that a website "can" do - versus the two things a website "should" do. A website "can" do all four of the answers listed. I guess I'm too literal.

vangogh
03-10-2009, 11:53 AM
This may seem like a subtle distinction, but the question was web page and not website. I agree with their answers too. The page doesn't qualify the visitor. That happens off the page. I suppose you can make an argument for it being able to convert a visitor, but really all any web page does is have content someone wants or has a link to content they want.

rezzy
03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I took the quiz and learned some new terminology that I need to learn more about. I did fairly well. When the answer was to select all of them, I would only select one or two.

When I get a moment I will check the site out Steven, I noticed you keep singing their praises. :)

I just found this post that was intersting: http://www.copyblogger.com/write-with-confidence/

Business Attorney
03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
You got 7 questions out of 10 correct.

I did OK at the beginning but fell down at the end...

Better not give up my day job.

vangogh
03-10-2009, 01:01 PM
That's ok David. The world needs attorneys too.

Bryan I do like the site, though I think I liked the books better since they put everything right in one place. The books are really compilations of articles I think. CopyBlogger is another great site. When you see advice there that makes sense to you try incorporating that little bit of advice into your writing for a few weeks. After awhile it becomes habit. You do that with a few different tips and look back after a few months and your writing will likely have improved.