PDA

View Full Version : Blogging Tips To Take You To The Next Level

vangogh
03-09-2009, 08:10 PM
A month or so ago I started a thread linking to tips for new bloggers (http://www.small-business-forum.net/blogging/946-resources-tips-new-bloggers.html). My thread linked to a post of links at ProBlogger.

Darren recently finished a series of posts (http://www.problogger.net/archives/2009/03/10/blog-tips-for-bloggers-who-have-been-around-a-while/) for bloggers who are a bit past the new stage and are looking to take their blogs to the next level. I've been reading the posts as they've been published the last few weeks and it's Darren's usual great advice.

The link above will take you to a page linking to all the posts in the series.

An easy tip is to look over your blog to see what you've been doing well (lots of search traffic, most comments) and do more of that.

Have any tips you can share for growing a blog past the initial stages?

rezzy
03-10-2009, 09:54 AM
I will have to take a look at those tips. I have been trying to find my voice for blogging. I know I need to write more informal, but its hard to make the change.

vangogh
03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
It takes a lot of practice so don't feel bad if it doesn't come right away. Try writing the way you talk. Hear a sentence in your head and write it the way you hear it instead of trying to force the sentence into some idea of what it should be.

greenoak
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
those are such great tips...im trying to do as much as possible...
.mine is so mixed up....reaching out to both retail and wholesale and different style categories too... i cant ever seem to stick to one great narrow niche..
..but last weekend probably 6 customers said they read my blog...thats hppening a lot now....so thats pretty nice...
ann

vangogh
03-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Ann you really don't have to stick to a narrow niche. Ideally your topic is broad enough to give you lots of things to write about while still having some central theme. Your topic should be antiques and you can write anything you want about them. Topics like how to find them. How to know when an antique is worth a lot. How to recognize a fake. You can talk about the history of different pieces of furniture or furniture makers. Since you run an antique business you can also write about business, though your business posts should still likely be geared toward an antique business.

You can also go off topic every once in awhile. On the 4th of July feel free to write about the 4th of July even if that post has nothing to do with antiques.

Your theme is antiques, but you can write about them from any angle you want.

fountainhead
04-12-2009, 11:05 AM
at first I was really confused on how I can increase the visibility of my blog, but all through the way I learned from other bloggers as well, through commenting on other blogs, posting on squidoo, using social bookmarking sites etc, those are just few ways that helped me a lot.. by the way I visited the link and I'm really impressed with the information I got there.

elsoft
05-01-2009, 06:00 AM
I was looking for something like this.I am happy to find this site with a lot of information.Its going to take a couple of weeks for me to get through.But Iam sure its going to be worth the read.Thanks for sharing Vangogh.

vangogh
05-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Glad to share the link. ProBlogger is a great blog to read if you want to learn more about blogging. I would highly recommend subscribing to it.

KristineS
05-01-2009, 01:09 PM
I think the biggest tip is just keep at it. Keep trying things and see what works and what doesn't.

Also, make sure you make connections with other bloggers. Half of generating traffic is making connections. You can't just put a blog up and sit back and wait for it to attract readers, you have to let the readers know you're there.

elsoft
05-02-2009, 08:47 AM
I have bookmarked the url Vangogh.And I am going to read it for the next few days,the content is so much and to try to experiment with them as Kristine suggests.Its going to fun for some time from now on.

vangogh
05-02-2009, 01:42 PM
It's definitely worthwhile to read ProBlogger. You can probably start with the series of posts I linked to at the start of this thread and in the other thread I mention. When I first started blogging I spent a few nights reading through ProBlogger posts and it helped me better understand what blogging was all about.

Darren usually has great advice.

One thing to remember about blogging is there aren't always hard and fast rules. Think of them more as guidelines. You don't have to do something because someone says it worked for them. Read the advice and apply what you think will work best for you.

stu gray
05-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I've been going thru Darren's 31 Days to Build a Better Blog (http://www.problogger.net/31-days-to-build-a-better-blog-join-9100-other-bloggers-today/) this month, and it has been killer stuff.

I haven't applied each of the days topics yet, but the beauty of it is that I can go back to the individual posts if I miss something.

(I believe he also has it set up so you can start anytime, which I think is terrific...!)

vangogh
05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I signed up for it too, but haven't had a chance to keep up. I'm saving all the emails and posts though so I can run through it at my own pace. Maybe more of a 60 days to a better blog.

Darren has run this before, though I believe he updated things this time around. And of course he has great advice outside this specific series.