PDA

View Full Version : Finishing job before estimated time

cocoy
03-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Say you're not too busy and you finish the job way before your projected date do you send it off to your client right away or wait until you're closer to the date?

Will this give them a different expectation for the next time?

Thoughts?

huggytree
03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
why wouldnt you send it when your done?

i mail all invoices the next day!....the quicker i send it the quicker i get the $

thx4yrtym
03-09-2009, 05:36 PM
I would send with an explanation that the schedule of other work allowed you to devote a lot of time to their project and you finished before you expected.

This way they don't come back and suggest that because it took you half as long that you should halve their invoice.

Best of Luck,

vangogh
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Depends on the client and the project. You can create unrealistic expectations in the client's mind for the future. The next time you tell them 2 weeks they might hear 2 days. I think Gregg's suggestion is a good one where you do deliver early, but let the client know it was an exception. Maybe you can say another client changed their deadline which freed up some time.

Usually I prefer not to deliver too early, but rather a little early. Still keeps the client happy, but doesn't change expectations too much.

Blessed
03-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Usually I prefer not to deliver too early, but rather a little early. Still keeps the client happy, but doesn't change expectations too much.

This is what I try to do too. If I deliver really early I also include a disclaimer so that the client knows that it is an exception rather than the rule. I do have a couple of customers that I never deliver more than a day or so early for. I'd rather have something done and sit on it for a couple of days than create unrealistic expectations for future work.

Steve B
03-10-2009, 04:10 AM
It depends on what type of work you do. I wanted to see what type of business you had, but you don't have anything in your signature. You may want to add a link.

cocoy
03-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I provide CAD (computer aided design/drafting) services. Probably the same type of "environment" as the graphic designers or web designers on here.

I guess it's different in your line of work where the client actually sees you working.

vangogh
03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah it would be different if your business was working directly in front of a client. Kind of hard for them not to know when you're done when you're fixing something at their house. At the same time finishing early when installing a plumbing fixture won't create the same kind of expectations as finishing early getting design drawings to them.

Dan Furman
03-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I provide CAD (computer aided design/drafting) services. Probably the same type of "environment" as the graphic designers or web designers on here.

I guess it's different in your line of work where the client actually sees you working.

I would hold it, and like Steve said, deliver a "little" early. I have found that even with an explanation, delivering too early creates an unrealistic expectation.

billbenson
03-10-2009, 01:56 PM
I agree with Dan. If you are a plumber and finish in half the time (hours worked), then something is wrong with your estimating process. If you finished in half the time because a builder got new construction up so you could finish the job earlier, you are a hero but worked approximately the extimated hours so that's a pretty good reason to show the customer the amount you are charging makes sense.

Lets say you are a web programmer. You make an extimate to do a project, but after the fact you find a script that cuts your work in half. You might want to tell the customer and give it to him for less, as it took you less time. You explain that this won't happen every time. Or you have a cancellation that allows you to finish a project earlier. I'd sit on that one a while so you don't give the customer false expectations on the next project.

It seems like most of these situations should be avoidable through good estimates.

huggytree
03-10-2009, 02:48 PM
the customer doesnt know how many hours are devoted to the project, so getting it done early is a good thing...not a partial money back thing......id impress them and give him the product...sure let him know its unusual and not the norm....i only see positives by delivering early...id sure be happy with anything to be early....

vangogh
03-10-2009, 05:30 PM
There's a big difference in telling a client their project will be done in 3 weeks and delivering 2 days early or 20 days early. A few days early and you look great. A few weeks early and the next time out your client will be upset when your 3 week project finishes in 2 weeks.

bizcard
03-20-2009, 08:27 AM
There's a big difference in telling a client their project will be done in 3 weeks and delivering 2 days early or 20 days early. A few days early and you look great. A few weeks early and the next time out your client will be upset when your 3 week project finishes in 2 weeks.

You always look good to a client if you deliver on time or a few days before deadline.. but delivering to a client too early can have drastic effect, the next project that the client will provide, he/she will expect you to deliver it early too.

vangogh
03-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah. I wish that didn't happen and realistically it won't happen with every client, but it definitely does with some. It doesn't matter whether you make it clear it was a one time exception. It creates unrealistic expectations for the next job.

seema
03-30-2009, 04:50 AM
I will send it on day when i finished the project without waiting to last date. It will definitely increase faith of the client in our work. And also this time could be utilize for other project. And also get money soon.