PDA

View Full Version : Donating percentage of sales

cocoy
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
I volunteer at a local no profit dog and cat rescue shelter. I've been thinking of donating a percentage of my sales, not profit, to this organization. I already give personally, but figured it would also advertise the shelter with my business. Donations are low with the economy and this is a 100% donation run group.

I usually give potential customers a little folder packet with some samples and a little sales letter when they call asking for more details about the service. Anyway, I'd like to add a page saying "a percentage (I haven't decided the amount yet) of the sale will be donated to support the shelter, blah, blah, blah"

Or even just add a little note on the invoice. "Thank you for your business. A percentage of this sale will be donated to...."

I'm not using this to try to "sell" my business. I spend every Sunday at the shelter doing maintenance and such. So this is really a big part of my life.

And maybe add a line on my website also.

Can this turn off some customers? Or keep them from coming back?

Just need some feedback and suggestions. Thanks.

Patrysha
03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I personally think tying into a non-profit organization is a great idea. It adds a feel-good factor to every purchase and can make a difference in competitive markets.

It's hard to say about customer perceptions...some will think it's just another sales ploy or gimmick...but it likely won't offend them to the point you lose customers (which can be the case if you're donating to something controversial). It can lead to customer loyalty depending on how passionate your customers are about a cause.

Something like this can get you great free press :-)

vangogh
03-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I have a hard time seeing how anyone would get turned off by your helping a dog and cat rescue shelter. That would say a lot more about them than you in my opinion.

In general any time you show support for an organization you run the risk of offending those against the organization, but also gain the benefit of having those who support the organization be much more inclined to support you as well. An easy example would be support of a political party. Half the country will support you and half will turn away.

Hard to see how support for dog and cat rescue could upset anyone. If anything I would think it would lead to more pet owners and pet lovers wanting to support you.

cocoy
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
That's what I'm debating. I was wondering if the cause may turn off people. I dunno. My service has nothing to do with pets. I deal with engineer and architecture firms and real estate agents.

vangogh
03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I can understand not wanting to offend, but caring about pets is one of those universally supported things. One thing about supporting a cause is that while you may turn off some you also make another group more passionate about you. In some ways it's a lot like choosing a niche market. Sure it eliminates some from becoming customers or clients, but it also helps you stand out more to certain groups. Since you're never going to appeal to everyone why try.

In the case of supporting an animal shelter I really can't see anyone getting turned off by it. Some won't feel the same passion for it you do, but it's one of those causes unlikely to turn anyone away. How many people do you know would support non-rescue? And how many of those people would you really want to have as clients? I highly doubt you'll lose business over this, but any business you might lose is probably business you wouldn't want anyway.

Dan Furman
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM
I disagree - I probably would not do this.

I know it's fine when, say, Citibank says "a portion of this goes to xxxx", but when I see a smaller, more personal business do this.... I dunno, I just don't like it as much. I almost want to say "your causes are your business, not mine."

Maybe it's because on the smaller, more personal level, I find someone making me aware of their charity stuff/causes a little preachy (regardless of the cause.) I know you don't mean it like that, but it's how I, as a customer, take it. Can't put my finger on exactly why, but it does turn me off a little, even if it's a good cause (like yours is - big shelter fan here.)

Just my .02. I really can't see this helping you, and I can see it hurting you in perception a little.

Edit: I am usually for something that makes you "unique" and gives you some personality, even if it offends certain people, etc. But this is something I see as unecessary.

vangogh
03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Interesting. I guess it wouldn't bother me as long as it wasn't costing me more or asking me to contribute. I think the "a portion of..." wouldn't feel that way, but now that I think about it I can see your point.

Another thought is what's the reason for adding the note to the invoice in the first place? If it's just to tell people you donate money I don't see the advantage. If it's to inspire more passion with pet owners and lovers then I would think it would help make them more loyal to your business. I still don't see anyone being offended by the specific cause, but maybe like Dan some would be turned off by the note about any cause in general.

I still think even that would be the exception, but maybe it's me looking at this through my eyes and knowing it wouldn't bother me at all.

KristineS
03-04-2009, 03:56 PM
We do something similar with one of our companies. A portion of our profits go to support conservation and hunting education. People really seem to like that idea.

Personally, it wouldn't turn me off to see someone do this, and I'd probably trust it more from a smaller company than I would a big one. So I'd say go for it.

cocoy
03-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I see what Dan is saying. That's why I don't want to do something that seems like an "In your face" method.

Maybe even just a link on my site to the shelter's at the bottom of the page saying, "XXX supports XXX"

cocoy
03-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Another thought is what's the reason for adding the note to the invoice in the first place? If it's just to tell people you donate money I don't see the advantage.

I was just throwing out my ideas and thoughts. Mostly without thinking about it first. That's why I ask you guys. :)

vangogh
03-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Just curiosity on my part. I think as long as you write the line well it shouldn't come across as in your face marketing. Does it belong on the invoice? Maybe not. A link on your site, sure. Even a dedicated page on your site with organizations you support would be fine.

The advantage and disadvantage is really the same. Risk turning some people off while making some other people feel more passionate about you and your business.

Dan Furman
03-04-2009, 08:29 PM
We do something similar with one of our companies. A portion of our profits go to support conservation and hunting education. People really seem to like that idea.

If they are a hunting company, that makes sense. But if they aren't, it's probably not a good move.

Dan Furman
03-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Just curiosity on my part. I think as long as you write the line well it shouldn't come across as in your face marketing. Does it belong on the invoice? Maybe not. A link on your site, sure. Even a dedicated page on your site with organizations you support would be fine.

The advantage and disadvantage is really the same. Risk turning some people off while making some other people feel more passionate about you and your business.

I guess part of it is I generally don't like it when someone - anyone - in a face to face situation, starts discussing their causes. It's one step under religion and/or politics to me. I'm not interested, I don't want to join, etc etc. So, a bit of that negativity is there when a smaller business supports a cause.

I don't mind it when McDonald's does it, because I don't talk to "McDonalds" (etc). It's way removed from me. But a small business where there's a personal relationship? I see it as a negative, because of what I said above.

Now, again, this goes by business. If this was a dog food business, you bet saying "we support the animal shelter" is a good move. If it's a shooting range, saying "we support the NRA and/or gun safety" is fine. But that's because 99.9% of your customers will already agree with you.

vangogh
03-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Dan I do see your point. I'd feel differently if I walked into a store and the owner started talking about all the causes the business supports. For me seeing one line on an invoice wouldn't bother me, though it could if the cause being supported was something I was against.

In this case I don't see pet rescue being a controversial issue and I think the single line likely wouldn't offend, but I do see how even it could turn some people off so there is a risk. It's probably something better left off of an invoice and maybe placed somewhere else.

Dan Furman
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
In this case I don't see pet rescue being a controversial issue and I think the single line likely wouldn't offend, but I do see how even it could turn some people off so there is a risk. It's probably something better left off of an invoice and maybe placed somewhere else.

That's it - I don't see the advantage to doing such. And I see the disadvantage, not because of the particular cause, but just because it's any cause. To me, it's a bit preachy, even if it's not meant as such.

vangogh
03-04-2009, 11:43 PM
That makes sense. I'm not sure what the value gained would be so why bother. I doubt it would have great consequences, but with no real benefit why risk losing anyone.

In all honesty it would be a better strategy if the cause was something people felt passionate about for and against. Imagine the cause was the NRA. You'd anger a lot of people to the point where you'd never hear from them again, but you'd also create some very passionate people who probably would support you just because you do support the NRA. You're not going to please everyone no matter what so if you can stand out in front of one group even if it costs you another group it can be a good marketing strategy.

KristineS
03-05-2009, 01:10 PM
If they are a hunting company, that makes sense. But if they aren't, it's probably not a good move.

Dan,

The company is a hunting products company. I was just using that as an example.

Dan Furman
03-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Dan,

The company is a hunting products company. I was just using that as an example.

Yup, that makes a lot of sense then :)

kml9870
03-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I can see both sides of this one. I think if you mention it once somewhere in your materials it's fine, but I wouldn't put it on more than a one time item that your customer receives. I think putting a small mention of it in your company description and then not mentioning it anywhere else would say that you care about this cause while not being "in your face" about it to your customers.

P.S. Kristine....I would be more likely to do business with you over someone who didn't say they promoted conservation & hunter's education....we are avid conservationists/hunters in my family :)

vangogh
03-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Kandi your PS shows exactly how this can work. At the same time there's someone out there who feels the opposite and it shows how it can backfire. In the end it depends on your marketing strategy.

KristineS
03-09-2009, 12:33 PM
It also depends on how sincere you are about it. We have mentioned it briefly on our blog when we were first thinking about making such an arrangement. I don't even think it is in our About Us statement at the moment, but that needs to be updated.

I think customers can tell when a company is just doing this sort of thing to look like a "good" company, and when they're doing it because it is part of the core principles of those who run the company. You perceived motivation can be a big factor in whether or not your gesture is a plus or a minus for your company.

KristineS
03-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Kandi,

I work with and talk to a lot of hunters and anglers and outdoors people. They're good folks, who care a lot about conservation and preserving our natural resources for future generations.

It's a world I didn't know a lot about until I took my present job, but I'm so glad I'm a part of it now.

vangogh
03-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I think customers can tell when a company is just doing this sort of thing to look like a "good" company, and when they're doing it because it is part of the core principles of those who run the company. You perceived motivation can be a big factor in whether or not your gesture is a plus or a minus for your company.

That's a really good point. If everything you know about a company shows they waste resources and are polluting more than most, yet that company tells you it donates a % of profits to environmental concerns, it comes across as hollow. It's not just about who you give money to, but about who you are as a company.

billbenson
03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Just a comment on a couple of special interest groups and the reaction they bring from me. NRA; I used to be a member, but I'm really tired of special interest groups, even ones I by and large agree with. PETA; I'm an animal lover. PETA uses strategies that are far to extreme. Same is true with greenpeace. So I'm both an animal lover and someone that likes to shoot guns. Still the above "charities" are a big turn off.

One thing you could do is put a poll on your web site or blog to get a feeling where your customers stand on particular charities?