PDA

View Full Version : Printing Magazines

Blessed
03-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Um, Steve's.... this might not be in the right category so move it if necessary (thanks!)

Mainly I want to know if any of the printer's on the forum do magazines.

Also - has anyone ever used Print Pelican before? If so - what is their quality like?

And finally... one of my new clients prints a monthly magazine, they are unhappy with the current printer so I'm looking for a new printer. I know lots and lots of local printers but none of them can touch the price that my client is currently paying for this magazine - primarily because magazine printing isn't what any of them specialize in! So... if anyone has a recommendation I'd appreciate it.

thanks!

Steve B
03-04-2009, 06:11 AM
I'll send you a PM with the contact #'s for the printer for our magazine.

We had a global bid with over 30 companies and they were in the top 3 on price. They have been excellent to work with. It is Freeport Press of Ohio.

You will need a printer that specializes in magazines. They buy the paper in huge quantities and can bid the price cheaper. Your customer will also have to consider the location of the printer versus the mailing target because shipping cost to the appropriate postal drop will be a factor. There were several magazine printers in Florida, but the shipping to KY was more costly than the shipping from Ohio.

Blessed
03-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks Steve - I thought about just PM'ing you because I like the quality of the magazine you do but decided to see if anyone else had something to say too :)

Vivid Color Zack
03-04-2009, 06:33 PM
You will need a printer that specializes in magazines. They buy the paper in huge quantities and can bid the price cheaper. Your customer will also have to consider the location of the printer versus the mailing target because shipping cost to the appropriate postal drop will be a factor.

Good points. I would probably go with Steve's recommended printer that they seem happy with.

Magazines are essentially still produced on the same presses as most offset work is done on, so you don't really NEED to find someone whose specialty is magazines. Just someone who has experience running them. Most catalogs are printed using a web press (think bass pro catalog or victoria secret catalog, entertainment weekly) whereas the sturdier magazines (VOGUE, BIKE, or anything with a perfect bind instead of saddle-stitching) are probably printed with offset presses and sturdier paper/better print quality.

Be careful with perfect binding (if that's the route you're going) and make sure the place doing it is competent, poor binding can mean pages fall out or pages creeping a little bit. Be sure you're happy with the printers samples.

Are you making a catalog or a magazine?

Blessed
03-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Hi Zack!

It's a saddle stitched monthly magazine at this point. I'm familiar with web and offset printing... I was the senior pre-press person at a printing company for 7 years :)

Any printer can produce it, but to get the right price I need someone who specializes in this type of thing. I have talked to one local printer that I've never done any work with and they can meet the price the people have been paying so... I'm getting some samples tomorrow we'll see how they look!

Steve B
03-04-2009, 08:37 PM
The heck with the PM. In case anyone else wants a good magazine printer, here is a contact at Freeport Press. Tell them Steve from Bluegrass Values sent you.

LFritter@freeportpress.com

Lee Fritter-740-658-4073

They print on a web press and do lots of "coupon" magazines.

Blessed
03-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks Steve!

Vivid Color Zack
03-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Hi Zack!

I was the senior pre-press person at a printing company for 7 years :)

oops, forgot that's who you were, I'm pretty sure I knew that already :)