PDA

View Full Version : Ebay reports hacking. Change your passwords.

Harold Mansfield
05-21-2014, 10:16 AM
I thought Ebay was one of the most secure sites online. I guess there is no such thing anymore.
Ebay is reporting that they were hacked and passwords compromised. Ebay is also Pay Pal.

I'd change all of your passwords immediately:
eBay hacked, requests all users change passwords - CNET (http://www.cnet.com/news/ebay-hacked-requests-all-users-change-passwords/)

Freelancier
05-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Well, no, eBay is not PayPal, although eBay, Inc. OWNS PayPal, they are definitely two separate organizations with their own databases.

Harold Mansfield
05-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Well, no, eBay is not PayPal, although eBay, Inc. OWNS PayPal, they are definitely two separate organizations with their own databases.
So you're saying even though they are part of the same conglomerate that they are likely using 2 completely different security protocols?

Freelancier
05-21-2014, 05:36 PM
So you're saying even though they are part of the same conglomerate that they are likely using 2 completely different security protocols?

They'd have to be... PP is a lot closer to the banks than eBay, so they get a LOT more scrutiny in their systems... think of eBay like you think of any other PP vendor. It's bad for eBay, but might not have anything to do with PayPal.

coltkilla
05-21-2014, 10:58 PM
uhoh.:(

I just started an Ebay business.

Yes I will change immidiately

Victor Grimsley
05-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Everything can be hacked. Doesn't matter what is it. The main question is about ebay reaction and actions that would be done to remove such a negative result.

coltkilla
05-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Everything can be hacked. Doesn't matter what is it. The main question is about ebay reaction and actions that would be done to remove such a negative result.what about Facebook.Have they improved their security in recent years?

billbenson
05-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Ebay was down earlier today. At least I couldn't get in