PDA

View Full Version : Import taxes fees?

rymngh
05-15-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm currently experimenting on a order fulfillment business. I am living in Philippines and want to sell in United States. So I want to ship some of my products to a US fulfillment warehouse. And they will fulfill my orders for me.

But I don't know the import taxes that I need to pay. I asked a customs brokerage and they told me that I need to pay this:

A) Customs Brokerage Fee: USD125.00 per entry (out port clearance)
B) Single Entry Bond Fee: ?
C) Documentation Fee: USD40.00 per shipment
D) Import Duties: At Cost (based on U.S. Customs Tariff Schedule)
E) U.S. Import Tax - Merchandise Processing Fee: USD25.00 (estimated)
F) Courier Fee: USD25.00 per run
G) FDA Fee (if applicable): USD25.00
H) FDA Prior Notice Filing Fee (if applicable): USD50.00 per filing

Are those really required to import a product in United States? If you are the one who's importing a product, which of the letters above you should pay to successfully import a product? Because I'm planning to ask my friend whose currently living in United States to clear the taxes for me. So I want to know which are required and which are the fees to the customs brokerage.

And if you know a cheaper customs brokerage, please tell me!

Fulcrum
05-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Exporting into the US is very cost prohibitive for a small company. I looked into it last year and was told that unless I was sending a 53' trailer, it can be a money losing proposition. There are people who do it, I just haven't figured out how high their margins are to make it work.

Paul
05-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Exporting into the US is very cost prohibitive for a small company. I looked into it last year and was told that unless I was sending a 53' trailer, it can be a money losing proposition. There are people who do it, I just haven't figured out how high their margins are to make it work.

I had imported some commercial kitchen equipment from china. i don't remember everything but those fees look about right. I don't recall any import tariffs. The most expensive part was the actual overseas freight and the local freight (drayage). The broker fees were not much of a concern compared to the value of the items. If you are going to do this continually you can aget a blanket customs certficate..It is good for a year I think. In general unless you are importing large quantities or large items like I did it may not be worth it.

What is being imported. FYI a little tip I learned. Let the exporter arrange the shipping. At least for me, from China, it was much less expensive than letting the U.S. broker do it. They can ccordinate it better.