PDA

View Full Version : I-9 question- acceptable documents

rmrittersr
05-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Is an employee Id an acceptable document for I-9 purposes? We hired a lady who works for our local school district. She brought in her BC and employee ID to fill in her I-9.

vangogh
05-11-2014, 01:56 AM
I had no idea so I searched Google. I didn't spend a lot of time looking through the results, but I did check the Wikipedia page on I9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-9_%28form%29). It lists what's acceptable ID. I don't see an employee ID listed, but Wikipedia isn't the final authority.

Out of curiosity wouldn't what qualifies as acceptable IDs be listed on the I9 form or in the instructions for the form?

tallen
05-11-2014, 05:25 AM
I would think that the school employee ID does count, so long as it has her photograph, and is current. See the I-9 instructions List of Acceptable Documents -- List B item 2 or item 3.

gracie92010
08-15-2014, 12:10 PM
From what I see on the acceptable document list, List B states as #3. School ID card with photograph and List C #4. Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or territory of the US bearing an official seal.