PDA

View Full Version : Anybody having a vegetable garden?

Steve B
03-03-2009, 03:24 AM
I was curious if there were any experienced vegetable gardeners here?

We've made a couple of really bad attempts the last two years, but this year I'm determined to keep the weeds at bay and see better results. Weeds and Deer have been our problems, but I put up a 6 foot fence last year (still had a deer jump in) and my kids are old enough to help with the weeding this year. I've also read a couple books on the subject this winter.

I'm ready for Spring.

thx4yrtym
03-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Steve,

We have been gardening on a small scale for many years. Weeds are not an issue for the most part as we cover the ground with either black or red fabric. We plant tomatoes , cucumbers, peppers, zucchini,asparagus, summer squash & herbs. The first three in raised beds. the fabric eliminates the weeds. The red might be too hot for your area unless you have a bit of shade.

What would you like to know?

Steve B
03-03-2009, 07:23 AM
One of the books I read was about raised beds (and not tilling the soil every year to allow the worms to make a permanent home). I'm going to try that this year. I also learned a lot about putting companion plants together that I didn't know last year.

I never saw red fabric for sale anywhere. But, wouldn't the black get hotter than the red?

thx4yrtym
03-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I would have thought so too. The red doesn't let the water through as well as the black.
Get the beds ready now and put down the fabric. It will warn the soil so MAYBE you can plant sooner.

If you are going to put in raised beds, I would put probably dig down 8 inches, remove the dirt, lay down the best garden fabric I could find and then put the soil back in and then add soil to an inch from the top, using plenty of amended soil. the garden fabric will help hold back the roots from trees and shrubs in the area. This will save you back breaking work year after year after year:):).
Every year I wish I had done this.:(

This year I'm going to start making compost tea and using it on the garden. Looking forward to puttering with that.

KristineS
03-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm going to try container gardening this year. I got the seeds already, just have to get the rest of the stuff.

I'm pretty excited about it.

Blessed
03-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Garden? You mean where you plant stuff and it grows and you get to eat it?

I plant flowers, does that count?

I'd actually love to have a garden and am thinking about trying the container thing this year - my backyard is blessed with lots of trees, which means lots of shade, which means it is an awesome place to spend a summer day but no garden can happen back there and hubby thinks the city might complain about us growing corn, tomatoes and cucumbers in the front yard.

Good luck with your garden! We enjoy the fruits of my Sister in Law and Mother in Law's gardens!

Steve B
03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
I've got 3.5 acres total - with about 1/8 of an acre way in the back in a sunny spot where I plan to have the garden. Several years ago I ran a water line back there because I lost a bunch of stuff I planted just before a drought. Last year I lost a lot due to the deer - so I put up a fence. I've got everything in place - except for the hard work. This year I'm determined to do better.

bizcard
03-20-2009, 08:31 AM
I hope you guys used organic fertilizer. Eating vegetables grown with synthetic fertilizer is not healthy at all.