PDA

View Full Version : ignore poster option

BradMajors
05-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Please add the option to ignore (never appear) all postings by certain members. Other forum sites have this option and it is useful for pruning out the members who never post anything worthwhile.

Wozcreative
05-03-2014, 05:10 PM
That would defeat the purpose of a conversation. Why not just "skip over" that person's opinion?
If you block someones posts on the board.. we run into the issue where you may jump to a bunch of conclusions during a topic that someone you blocked wrote.

BradMajors
05-03-2014, 05:50 PM
If you block someones posts on the board.. we run into the issue where you may jump to a bunch of conclusions during a topic that someone you blocked wrote.
Exactly. That is the purpose of the ignore option. Ignore means ignore.

Brian Altenhofel
05-03-2014, 07:50 PM
That would defeat the purpose of a conversation. Why not just "skip over" that person's opinion?

As someone who runs a reasonably-sized online forum (3M+ authenticated views/mo), I disagree about that being a real issue. The posts from the ignored user still show in the thread - they are just collapsed giving the user the option to read the post. Typically when they see the OP as a post by a user on their ignore list, they back out of the thread. When replying to other users, most people actually use the quote or multiquote buttons (and the user can't ignore what has been quoted). Posts that are made in reply without a quote tend to feel out of context, and a user who has ignored someone in the thread will often look at the previous couple of posts by the ignored user.

Also, at the forum that I run, less than 0.05% of users even use the ignore option, but 95% of the ignore lists are the same.

vangogh
05-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Just a suggestion, but maybe you want to spend a little time here getting to know the community before suggesting we make changes to suit you. Have you even been here long enough to want ignore people?

BradMajors
05-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Just a suggestion, but maybe you want to spend a little time here getting to know the community before suggesting we make changes to suit you. Have you even been here long enough to want ignore people?
You have no idea how long I have been reading this forum.

Unfortunately, there is no "ignore" option so that you can not ignore my posts which seem to upset you.

Freelancier
05-04-2014, 07:36 AM
You have no idea how long I have been reading this forum.

You want something of value from the forum's managers, but you are -- so far -- not contributing anything of value to them. I'd say the odds are low of you getting anything you want.

vangogh
05-04-2014, 04:35 PM
You have no idea how long I have been reading this forum

That is true. Also I apologize if my post above came across as rude. I didn't mean it that way, but can see how it might read that way. All I'm saying is to see this from our perspective. As far as any of us know you're new and one of your first posts is to ask for changes to something no one has ever had an issue with up till now. The general unwritten rule around here is to think what you can contribute before thinking about what you can take. Someone new asking for changes comes across as being more in the latter group. I'm not suggesting you are in that group. It's just that it comes across that way when someone's first posts are asking us to make changes to the forum.

I never use it but, I thought the ability to ignore some users already existed. I checked and as far as I can tell it does. Look under your Settings. There should be something to Edit Ignore List.

MyITGuy
05-04-2014, 08:58 PM
I never use it but, I thought the ability to ignore some users already existed. I checked and as far as I can tell it does. Look under your Settings. There should be something to Edit Ignore List.

Its also present when you click on the users name/view the profile of the person you want to ignore.

vangogh
05-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Oh yeah. Now that you mention it I have seen it there. It really isn't anything I use, though I'm probably the one person here who can't really ignore anyone.