PDA

View Full Version : Is this how FB works?

on_my_own
05-02-2014, 09:21 PM
I never had a FB page, but I want to create one for my apparel brand. I created a personal account with my name, age, etc. And from there, I created a business page. Is this how it works or should I have been able to just create a page solely for my business and not have to go through the personal info. I ask because everytime I log in, I only want to be taken to and work off of the business FB profile, but it always starts with my personal profile, which I can care less about. Also, when I sync up my instagram to post on FB, I'm afraid it'll post to my personal page instead of my business page.

Harold Mansfield
05-04-2014, 12:13 PM
I never had a FB page, but I want to create one for my apparel brand. I created a personal account with my name, age, etc. And from there, I created a business page. Is this how it works or should I have been able to just create a page solely for my business and not have to go through the personal info. I ask because everytime I log in, I only want to be taken to and work off of the business FB profile, but it always starts with my personal profile, which I can care less about. Also, when I sync up my instagram to post on FB, I'm afraid it'll post to my personal page instead of my business page.

You need a personal account to admin a business page. There used to be a way to just get the business page, but the functionality was limited. Not sure if you can anymore.

Going to your page every should be fairly easy. When you log in check the box that keeps you logged in, go to you page as a admin. When you are done, don't switch back to your personal account or log out. Just close the page. When you go back to Facebook you should already be logged in as the page.

Sorry I can't help with Instagram.

DennisChang
05-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Yes, this is how Facebook works. You always log in to facebook with your personal account, as facebook page doesn't have password authentication. It is easy to switch to your facebook page admin once you log in.

Joseph A. Norcross
05-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Yeah I found that Facebook was fairly straightforward once you got through some of the confusing menu options that they managed to implement in the last few years. Honestly, whoever decided upon that interface in the last few updates deserves to be taken out back and given a whipping.

KristineS
05-14-2014, 11:21 AM
I agree that having to create a personal profile to create a business page is annoying, but it is what Facebook requires. I just decided to use the personal page I was required to create to network with people in my industry. That seems to work pretty well. Also, there should be an option on the lefthand nav of your home page which will let you click on whatever business pages you've created. Once you're there, there should also be a place where you can click that will allow you to post and like as the page rather than as your personal profile.

JohnBay
05-15-2014, 05:13 AM
Hey,

I was facing the same problem. I am really not that much of a facebook fan but I guess it is kind of stupid to not use it since it is free. I wasn't sure about having to register a private profile first but now that I'm reading it here it seems obvious. Thanks for that! I guess I'll be joining facebook then... great... :/

Damon the Marketer
05-20-2014, 02:50 AM
Any business owner who's playing around with social media (one of the lowest ROI-generating mediums out there) is wasting money. If you have to use it, outsource it. You should be spending your time on the activities that actually make money: marketing and doing (e.g., fixing cars for mechanics).

KristineS
05-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Any business owner who's playing around with social media (one of the lowest ROI-generating mediums out there) is wasting money. If you have to use it, outsource it. You should be spending your time on the activities that actually make money: marketing and doing (e.g., fixing cars for mechanics).

I would argue that social media is marketing, and that authenticity is part of the social media mix. Outsourcing social media may well backfire, as the person you're outsourcing the work to will not know your company as well as you will. Social media will not, it's true, work for everyone, but I can't think of any type of marketing that is universally successful. I also think there's a difference between "playing around" with social media and getting serious about it. If you are just fooling around and posting irregularly and not putting any thought or planning into what's being done then, yes, moving to something else might be beneficial. If, however, social media is part of your marketing mix and is treated as such, and if you've done the necessary market research and are strategic about who you follow/friend, social media can be successfully used by many businesses.

MakingItNow
05-24-2014, 02:07 AM
With a FB business page, you do need a personal account. With a business page, you can actually delay posting time and date to ensure that you have new content for as long as you would like. I try and stretch mine out two weeks at a time. This ensures a social presence without the daily grind of social media. I do not recommend outsourcing, but that's my personal opinion.

For those who say that it's a waste of time, I disagree even if hardly anyone looks at it depending on the type of business you have. I consider Facebook an assurance for any potential customer, including B2B sales. I'm in the window covering business. I keep a link on my website to both FB and G+, they both get views, and customers I meet talk about seeing "this or that" on my posts. I also get reviews on both which a HUGE plus.

However, taking action such as "e.g., fixing cars for mechanics" is the best practice for most traditional business types. If you are looking for B2B sales, which I assume you are, you might want to roll up your sleeves spend your time approaching retailers. Stick to FB automated post (post-delayed) for now. All opinion.

shadojake
05-26-2014, 06:19 PM
While many people can go overboard on social media, I believe it can be a useful tool in a "toolbox" of many tools. I use facebook as a way to post photos of my most recent work (custom coasters, trivets, etc.).

I also use it to have interaction with (potential) customers who do not live in my immediate area. I communicate things like upcoming craft shows, posting pics of us and our booth at craft shows as a reminder to come out and let us meet each other, etc. I find I get enocuragement from all the "reaches" I see on my business page. It is one way I know others are seeing my work, well beyond what I could tell by who comes by our booths at shows.

Cassandra
07-01-2014, 04:24 AM
This is how it works, however knowing this already I went and created an additional "personal account" for business, and created my facebook page from there. My personal page still holds my first and last name, but it gives me the ability to "friend" other like-minded business associates, network with them, post interesting things to my personal profile about business, without annoying my friends and family with all my business postings, and my products; and without annoying my facebook fan page with all my posting about business when all they want to see is my product.