PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Watching the Olympics?

KristineS
08-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm sad to say I really have no interest in the Olympics. I feel as though I should, but I really don't. Is anyone here watching them? Have there been any great moments?

orion_joel
08-11-2008, 01:57 AM
Don't worry to much Kristine, i have no real interest either, i mean i have watch more shows about how they built all the big new flash airports and stadiums and such then anything to do with the actual sport.

Steve B
08-11-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm not watching. I only watch stuff that I've recorded on TIVO - so programming the Olympics would require an extra step. I'm also not a big fan of China - so I guess there is a little boycot in me also.

Paul Elliott
08-11-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Olympics or of China, though I do listen to the news reports of the highlights.

Paul

vangogh
08-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I haven't gotten into it either. I might end up watching before it's over. I usually do watch some of it. Over the years though it seems to be less and less about the best amateur athletes in the world competing for the joy and more and more political. It's not the same as I remember when I was a kid.

KristineS
08-12-2008, 07:59 AM
I feel that way too. It used to be more about pride in your country. Now it seems like it's all about politics and making stars and endorsements.

vangogh
08-12-2008, 10:11 AM
I did end up watching last night after seeing this thread. I wasn't paying much attention, but it was on in the background.

KristineS
08-12-2008, 10:22 AM
I still haven't turned it on at all. Most of what I know I know from reading the news online or seeing someone talking about it on Plurk.

vangogh
08-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Over the years I don't get excited about it when it first starts, but there's always a night where there's nothing else on and I watch. By the end I do tend to be watching more. I'd hardly say I'm into it though. It was on in the background last night. I knew what was going on, but wasn't really watching.

Coach Morse
08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I have been watching the Olympics and have to say, so far they have been terrific!

The American athletes have put on stellar performances. Many new world records are being set.

One of the best moments so far was the Men's 4 x 100m swim Final. The U.S. men were up against the favored French team who, a day earlier, said they would smash the Americans. As the final swimmers dove into the pool, the French had a one second lead and looked to take the gold for sure, but the 32 year old American anchor (oldest on the team), chased down the Frenchman to out touch him at the wall by .07 sec. ..... Watching this history unfold was thrilling and inspiring! :)

I highly recommend tuning in...

vangogh
08-12-2008, 12:58 PM
George the swimming is what's pulling me in. I didn't see the relay, but heard about it and saw highlights. I think what Michael Phelps is hoping to accomplish is special and will build drama with each gold he wins.

I do in general like the events at the summer Olympics. I"ve been following the women's softball team for a couple of years and am curious how the men's basketball team does.

Even though it's hard for me to get as excited as I used to about the games, I still seem to get pulled in after a few days.

Coach Morse
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
George the swimming is what's pulling me in. I didn't see the relay, but heard about it and saw highlights. I think what Michael Phelps is hoping to accomplish is special and will build drama with each gold he wins.

I do in general like the events at the summer Olympics. I"ve been following the women's softball team for a couple of years and am curious how the men's basketball team does.

Even though it's hard for me to get as excited as I used to about the games, I still seem to get pulled in after a few days.

Don't forget beach volleyball... what guy doesn't like watching women's beach volleyball? That'll pull you in in a matter of seconds! :D

vangogh
08-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Well that goes without saying doesn't it. :D

KristineS
08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Personally, I like Men's Diving. Half naked, muscular men. Can't beat that.

billbenson
08-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I heard the opening ceremonies were spectacular as well. I haven't had the time to watch any of it though.

Spider
08-16-2008, 04:33 PM
I haven't watch the Olympics for years - since I have lived in the US, in fact. The trouble is, I have had the privilege to watch the Olympic broadcasts in some pretty small countries - ones that maybe had one or two contestants. As a result, the TV coverage was of the *whole* games.

In contrast, the TV coverage in the US is appalling, and this year seems to be no better. The bits I have tried watching (before switching off in disgust) are only of matches that include an American, and only the American constestant is discussed by the commentators. I watched a particular track event yesterday, where the American was running around 5th. There was the occasional mention of #1,2,3 and 4 - hardly any mention at all of any of the others - and all talk was about the American. As they approached the finish, the American started to make some ground and gained a couple of places. The commentators were getting all excited, regardless of the fact that the Kenyan in the lead was increasing his lead. At the finish, the camera zoomed down the American and totally ignored everyone else. You'd think the American runner was the only one competing.

Terrible sportsmanship, in my view. But there was a nice movie on another channel!

Marcomguy
08-16-2008, 07:05 PM
I pay occasional attention to the Olympics. But looks like a lot of other folks are tuning in, according to this (http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6586947.html).

Just seems like the Olympics has become all about the show and the marketing. Sport has taken second place.