PDA

View Full Version : Legal representation. Covering my business and myself!

thedude2014
04-25-2014, 02:28 AM
Hello all,

I am in the planning stages of opening a business. I have a few legitimate legal concerns to address before making this a reality. Hopefully, I can express those simply. Please let me know if further explanation is needed.

I plan to sell or rent an electronic device for home entertainment purposes. I had originally only been concerned with the legality of the product itself, but have now turned my concern towards protecting my business and myself in the unfortunate circumstance that my product could to cause personal or property damage. I assume that some type of legal protection should be in place and also an insurance policy of some type. The detail of this process has me at a loss.

Also, after I have filled with the state (LLC) will that also provide me with certain protects from the concern state above?

Any direction in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Freelancier
04-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Talk with your business insurance agent.. you're looking for general liability coverage. If you're mass selling to everyone with no customer interaction to limit its usage or installation, you'll want a really high liability amount; otherwise, you might be able to get away with $1-2 million. Also talk with your attorney about creating a limited warranty and other clauses you can include in the packaging so that you can theoretically limit your liability.

thedude2014
04-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Great! Thank you Freelancier for the direction. Would I also be seeking Product Liability Insurance? I'm still in the infant stages of planning for my business. I have contacted several lawyers in my area, but my focus was more on patenting my product. In your opinion, what kind of legal representation should I be seeking?

Thanks!