PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use instagram for their business?

on_my_own
04-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Like the title says, anyone here use instagram to try and promote their business? Do you find it helpful? I just created an account and wanted to see if anyone here uses instagram also for their business.

RayC
04-27-2014, 01:21 AM
I started one about 7 months ago (STUDIOSIGNS). We're a sign company and a picture of our work is worth a thousand words so it's a great media to showcase our current and past projects. In addition I love how quickly and easily the photo editing filters can enhance the pictures. On top of all this I can post simultaneously to our business FB page.

All said though, it's a learning process - to see what works and doesn't work, how to grow followers that are decision makers... etc. Business-wise, we got inquiries for signs but that's about it.

What do you think of it so far?

on_my_own
04-27-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm trying to figure out how so many businesses end up with 50k plus followers and are only following a handful. I've seen this with many users on instagram. How are these brands getting literally a thousand followers a day and they aren't following back? Is there some trick?

Freelancier
04-27-2014, 08:42 AM
The "trick" is to have 100,000+ followers on another social media site and then entice them to follow you on Instagram as well.

On the other hand, the real trick is converting those followers from lagan to treasure... from dead weight to actual paying customers.

shadojake
04-28-2014, 10:31 PM
I have not gone over to instagram. Honestly, I am not sure what it's all about except to send pictures, but to whom? How do I get them to others? I have had a hard time getting followers at twitter so it is making me think twice about instagram.

I would appreciate tips as well on both twitter and instagram.

JJT99
04-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Instagram like other social media sites is useful but only if you use it properly. Like RayC says for him a picture is a useful marketing tool, however for some businesses uploading regular pictures wouldn't really add to the company.

Afua
04-30-2014, 05:54 PM
What kind of business do you have? It works well for some businesses, not so well for others.

on_my_own
04-30-2014, 09:09 PM
What kind of business do you have? It works well for some businesses, not so well for others.

Its a clothing business aimed at a specific niche. I have only seen a few other companies with a similar niche and they all do heavy marketing on instagram with customers wearing their apparel. Just wondering what would be a good way to get started. I have an instagram account with my logo and inventory is ready to go. Now I just need to start somewhere and get the word out.

RayC
05-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Its a clothing business aimed at a specific niche. .

Some keys to gaining followers on Instagram are:
1) Get exposure with hashtags that relate to that picture. In your case if the picture is of an evening outfit the tag could include: your company name, LOCATION - city you're in (if you have a storefront. If not, use popular cities or locations where that outfit would be popular. i.e. #lasvegas #nyc...), the BRANDS in the pictures,...etc. Then include some emotional words (like #need, #want, #hot...). I like to include popular tags along with random/silly tags to keep things light.
2) Ask customers permission to 'model' for you, then tag them in that post (to tag a person, use "@". For example "Our lovely customer of the day @onmyown is sporting this HOT new sundress by @roxy..."

If you're not sure where to start, go to 'Explore' and search for 'Tags' people use - I'm in the sign industry so I'll check out (signs, windowgraphics, vehiclewraps,...etc) and also things I'm interested in (nature, beach,...).
Follow people you like... see tags they use, how their 'home page' looks - usually businesses will keep a similar look throughout to build their brand/image.

Here are a couple clothing boutiques that are GREAT with their feeds - theshoplaguna & islaboutique. I highly recommend you checking them out!

Now... get posting and have fun! Cheers!!

on_my_own
05-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Some keys to gaining followers on Instagram are:
1) Get exposure with hashtags that relate to that picture. In your case if the picture is of an evening outfit the tag could include: your company name, LOCATION - city you're in (if you have a storefront. If not, use popular cities or locations where that outfit would be popular. i.e. #lasvegas #nyc...), the BRANDS in the pictures,...etc. Then include some emotional words (like #need, #want, #hot...). I like to include popular tags along with random/silly tags to keep things light.
2) Ask customers permission to 'model' for you, then tag them in that post (to tag a person, use "@". For example "Our lovely customer of the day @onmyown is sporting this HOT new sundress by @roxy..."

If you're not sure where to start, go to 'Explore' and search for 'Tags' people use - I'm in the sign industry so I'll check out (signs, windowgraphics, vehiclewraps,...etc) and also things I'm interested in (nature, beach,...).
Follow people you like... see tags they use, how their 'home page' looks - usually businesses will keep a similar look throughout to build their brand/image.

Here are a couple clothing boutiques that are GREAT with their feeds - theshoplaguna & islaboutique. I highly recommend you checking them out!

Now... get posting and have fun! Cheers!!

Thanks for the awesome tips. Hopefully I can find a few popular people on instagram to wear my stuff and get some exposure that way. Thinking of trying to get people to wear my stuff and use my hashtag so I can repost on my instagram account

v.conway222
06-05-2014, 09:27 AM
To be successful at social media, you have to notice the benefits of streamlining content. By this I mean that what works for you on twitter, won't necessarily work on linkedin. The same applies when choosing which platforms to use - instagram relies solely on the aesthetic, so products such as clothes, makeup and hair. I would say to go for it! You really have nothing to loose - just be careful not to bombard your subscribers. There is nothing worse then finding your feed clogged up with posts from the same user; this will come across as spammy.

BVN101
10-25-2014, 06:39 AM
I think IG is awesome to use as a "look behind the scenes" thingy.

The way you can easily add hastags is by downloading the app TagsForLikes. (I'm not affiliated in any way)
You just set up your hashtags and copy paste them every time you post a picture/ video. Huge time saver!

Hope this helps you out a bit!

Good luck!

Yoav
11-06-2014, 04:09 AM
Creating a IG portfolio to your business is important when your looking to expand the traffic on your site and to create affiliation between your awesome company and the costumers that doesn't know you at all.
that said. IG wont help you convert traffic to sales, and will need weekly updates of quality photographs. There is nothing more sad then a dead IG page with your company name on it..

My advise:
Find a graphic or photography student that want's to do it for his CV. and just supervise him, every one win.

Hope I helped
Yoav

Marktwayn
11-08-2014, 07:31 PM
The Best tip I have to offer is interact with your targeted market. Like their images, comment on their photos.
Most businesses who have an image to keep like a clothing brand don't really follow a bunch of people in hopes to get followers due to it looking really desperate.
Interaction is key in my opinion. That's one reason i have multiple accounts with 10k+ followers and my main account with 23k followers and 0 following.

shrinkme
11-09-2014, 05:43 PM
I use instagram to collect photos taken with my iPhone. Then I may use the photos I take as part of my business, blog, or not at all. It depends how good the photo is and what I need a photo for.

I do have my own photo on my instagram and point it to my website.

onegoodman25
03-28-2015, 04:57 PM
I created an account, but haven't started using it until yesterday, i think it is necessary but you need to keep up with it

99social
10-22-2015, 11:33 PM
I think Instagram can be incredibly instrumental for businesses that are within certain niches - fitness, fashion, art, networking, etc. These audiences can be reached easily through the Instagram app and if you are able to put together an attractive looking graphic, you'll do all the better. Post consistently and follow large accounts that are also within your niche and comment on posts.

grigorieva27
12-19-2015, 08:33 AM
it is a social network in which many young people are registered. I think that it serves as a great way to advertise, especially if you sell smth the majority of population use

Ola Rybacka
12-28-2015, 07:00 AM
Instagram is the place where I can post pictures which are associated with our niche and help me build consumer perception, because all of them are built in a similar way.