PDA

View Full Version : Seeking an SEO expert.

RFHII
04-22-2014, 04:04 PM
I will cut thru the BS.

I have a site start up that is a little over 2 years old. I have spent countless hours on youtube watching SEO tutorials. It mine as well be in Latin, Its just foreign to me. Even with 18 + years working for myself in the internet industry.

My start up has a solid business plan. I have a ran small scale test IE: PPC and email and I have proven that my numbers far exceed what I have within my business plan. The 3rd part of my "marketing" is SEO. And not being able to get a grasps of it.

Thank you for your time.

Harold Mansfield
04-22-2014, 04:37 PM
I will cut thru the BS.

I have a site start up that is a little over 2 years old. I have spent countless hours on youtube watching SEO tutorials. It mine as well be in Latin, Its just foreign to me. Even with 18 + years working for myself in the internet industry.

RFHII,
I had to remove the partnership/job offer from your post as we don't allow that. And yeah, You Tube is full of videos full of outdated information.

Pretty much everyone here understands your frustration with SEO. It's not easy.
How about we start with any specific questions you may have. I'm sure there are many of us who can answer them.

If you want to post a link to your website, that would also help get some suggestions flowing of where you are missing opportunity or need to make changes.

I know you may be burned out on it, but I'm a firm believer in teaching people at least the basics, so that they have a better understanding of what to look for when partnering or hiring people.

RFHII
04-23-2014, 01:19 AM
I totally understand, and 100% agree with you. You cant learn anything if you dont try and make those mistakes. I know the basics I have been in the internet industry for 18 or so years as a web designer, with dozens of websites that I own and operate, that are basically sitting on the back burners for my current project. Which has been up and running for 2 years, and 5 years of researching and researching and researching and even more researching before even getting to this point.

I dont have time to be burned out. This project is taking every hour of my life 7 days a week 12-18 hours a day.

I wasnt sure if I could post a link. But here it is. AbilityJobsPlus.com - Is a job site dedicated to help disabled people find quality employment.: Home (http://www.AbilityJobsPlus.com)

Does anyone know of SEO tutorials and books that are up useful to the current century. I Have read dozens of books and its all trash for the most part.

Not sure I can ask this and will try any SEO's want to walk me along. Just need some guidance....Ill do the work. I am not sure what I have plugged in the site is doing any good. Also any free SEO audit websites / services anyone may know of would be very helpful.

Thanks Harold,

Brian Altenhofel
04-26-2014, 12:05 AM
The blogs on Moz: Inbound Marketing and SEO Software, Made Easy (http://moz.com/) are pretty good. Rand does a good job, too, of explaining stuff in his Whiteboard Friday videos. About half the time, it's somewhat basic stuff, while the other half can get fairly advanced, but he explains why you should and shouldn't do certain things and the effects of certain algorithm changes.

mcarter024
04-30-2014, 08:29 PM
I have to second the Moz suggestion.

I like to check out Black Hat World (http://www.blackhatworld.com/) to get "the other side" of the coin as well. I've found ideas on there that aren't black hat, but more in-depth knowledge about possible changes I was going to make to a website that provided clarification for me.

vangogh
05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm a little late to this party, but it's pretty easy to see why your site doesn't gain a lot of search traffic. To be brutally honest, as the site is constructed, it never will. To be even more brutal honest, it shouldn't. There's no reason why it should rank for anything. There's no reason why any human being would want to visit it. You have absolutely no original content on the site. You're pulling in the same job listings as hundreds if not thousands of other sites.

When someone lands on your site about all they can do is fill out a form (which probably limits how much any search engine will ever crawl the site). I filled one out as though I was looking for a job here where I live. The company that's offering the job ranked #1. Monster.com ranked #2 and #3. Why do you think you would ever outrank either of those sites? Also the job listing in question has nothing to do with disabilities of any kind, which is surprising given your site.

Original content is hard to create. I get that. That doesn't mean you can skip that part. You have what's called a thin content site and people don't want to see sites like that in search results. If you can offer something of value beyond the same database listings as everyone else you might get traffic. If you're just presenting the database listings there's no reason to visit your site.

SEO is not about tricking search engines into choosing your site over another. It's not about finding the right place in your code to use the right word or phrase. I see people saying all the time that seo is hard to understand. That's only if you think it's about searching for the secret ranking formula. Here's how easy seo can be.

1. Build the best site you can for real people
2. Promote your site to real people

Of course there are more things you can do, but until you've done the above those things are irrelevant.

I don't know if you've done anything about #2, but looking at your site I know there was no consideration given to #1. Your site is supposed to be about helping people with disabilities find work. Did you put time into making the site more accessible to people with disabilities? Did you check to see if people with disabilities refer to themselves as disabled? Do you offer information to help people with disabilities? Can you come up with even a single reason why a real person should visit your site over any of thousands of other sites that list the same job offers?

I'm sorry for being so brutally honest, but I am being honest.

singhabhishek251
10-07-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm a little late to this party, but it's pretty easy to see why your site doesn't gain a lot of search traffic. To be brutally honest, as the site is constructed, it never will. To be even more brutal honest, it shouldn't. There's no reason why it should rank for anything. There's no reason why any human being would want to visit it. You have absolutely no original content on the site. You're pulling in the same job listings as hundreds if not thousands of other sites.

When someone lands on your site about all they can do is fill out a form (which probably limits how much any search engine will ever crawl the site). I filled one out as though I was looking for a job here where I live. The company that's offering the job ranked #1. Monster.com ranked #2 and #3. Why do you think you would ever outrank either of those sites? Also the job listing in question has nothing to do with disabilities of any kind, which is surprising given your site.

Original content is hard to create. I get that. That doesn't mean you can skip that part. You have what's called a thin content site and people don't want to see sites like that in search results. If you can offer something of value beyond the same database listings as everyone else you might get traffic. If you're just presenting the database listings there's no reason to visit your site.

SEO is not about tricking search engines into choosing your site over another. It's not about finding the right place in your code to use the right word or phrase. I see people saying all the time that seo is hard to understand. That's only if you think it's about searching for the secret ranking formula. Here's how easy seo can be.

1. Build the best site you can for real people
2. Promote your site to real people

Of course there are more things you can do, but until you've done the above those things are irrelevant.

I don't know if you've done anything about #2, but looking at your site I know there was no consideration given to #1. Your site is supposed to be about helping people with disabilities find work. Did you put time into making the site more accessible to people with disabilities? Did you check to see if people with disabilities refer to themselves as disabled? Do you offer information to help people with disabilities? Can you come up with even a single reason why a real person should visit your site over any of thousands of other sites that list the same job offers?

I'm sorry for being so brutally honest, but I am being honest.

I completely agree with you and understand the SEO but I was unable to check the website that you all are talking about, maybe the link has been removed. I too think that the website will not work as whole at first place if you do not have original content for your visitors with the latest launch of Panda it has been even tough for ranking any website with duplicate content. You need to change your strategy and work about the contents. There are some SEO willing to rank these kind of websites also and I am sure they can rank also, but your website will be penalized in next phase you will end up loosing your money as well as website.

CoolHandCol
11-18-2014, 04:49 AM
I just looked at your website - you need a new designer. And some decent content.