PDA

View Full Version : advertising at a local golf course

huggytree
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
i got a letter in the mail today that im interested in.

its a local golf course which is selling signs on the course...1 per hole

its a 9x26 sign for $250-300

only 1 from each type of business will be allowed..

first off its cheap.....2nd its my type of customers....3rd they are relaxing/not in a hurry and may be more likely to read the sign over & over

im probably going to go for it...$300 a year....why not...if i get 1 good job it will be more than worth it....

im considering what it should say to have max. impact...

since its local im planning on putting that im local on it...im not sure how much i want to say.....something memoriable....

otherthan miniture golf ive never played...is there a better hole than others? what should i look for...depending on placement is there a reason that one spot would take longer and give me a better shot of being read over & over?

is it a good idea?
any good / different advertising idea's?

Steve B
02-28-2009, 01:50 PM
It's probably a good idea. Compared to other marketing - you'll probably be hitting a relatively small group of people. But, the are likely a good market for you. You might want to include your picture to really make it look personal and local.

Some golfers get drunk while they're playing. So, early might be better. They may not be able to read by the 17th hole. Some also will only play nine holes if they don't have much time, but they can usually start at either the 1st or 9th hole. I might go for the ninth hole if it were me.

nealrm
02-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Let see - It's cheap, it hit your target market, has decent traffic and good viewing time/rate.

This sounds like a no brainer to me - Go for it.

huggytree
02-28-2009, 01:59 PM
how about i get the #2 hole and my slogan is

'proud sponsor of the #2 hole" ?

too crude or funny ?

nealrm
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
It's never good to advertise in a manner that could offend someone. My general rule is all ads should be G rated. (unless your business is not G rated)

Steve B
02-28-2009, 02:10 PM
That was worth throwing out there for our benefit, but I agree with nealrm.

I don't even thing you should have a message - it will make it too hard to read. Maybe just your Company, name logo, and phone number.

I did a similar banner that hangs in the gym of one of the local high schools. I kept it simple, but still wish it were even more simple. I included both the phone and the web address. Next year I may drop the phone number so the web address will be easier to read from a distance. It's hard to decide which one to drop, but if they can't read them one of them has to go.

FYI - it's been up all year and nobody has called me because of it. Don't expect any direct sales, but it will help with name recognition long term.

huggytree
02-28-2009, 02:28 PM
i think my slogan is crude, but wont it make people remember me?

when i go to networking events i always use the tag line 'im #1 in #2' ...it gets everyone laughing and people always come up to me afterwards to joke about it...

its probably a few knotches down on the crude ladder i agree....i still think its border line being too crude....

the golf course probably wont accept it anyways.

they may only allow my name...i dont do it unless i get a phone number...i may choose my website address since its easier to remember.

nealrm
02-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Face to face conversation is different than wording on a sign. When you are face to face you can adjust your presentation to meet the atmosphere. Examples: A conversation that is appropriate in a bar would not be appropriate at a church function. Jokes that are funny with the guys may not be funny when the children are around.

Also, it's not being remembered that's important. I can think of several ways that will guarantee you are remembered. Several of them are not good. The important things is to have you and your business remembered in a positive manner.

Steve B
02-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm leaning toward keeping just the web address on mine since putting both phone and web requires both of them to be too small to be read from a distance. In my case, the distance is probably more of an issue than it is for you. They have to be able to read it from all the way across the gym.

Again, I agree with Nealrm - you can get away with things in person you can't get away with in writing.

vangogh
02-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Given you'll be in front of your target customer and given the cost is only $300 it certainly seems worth trying. Whether it's effective or not I'm nor sure, but it won't cost much to find out. Even one customer from it is well worth the price.

As for where to have your sign, if it was me I'd want my sign to appear immediately after the easiest hole on the course. Golf can be a very frustrating game and the last place you want to be is right after the hardest hole on the course. You could end up being the sign people use to break their clubs over. Hard to know which is the easiest hole without playing the course, but if you can find out that's probably the best location. Have people be in a good mood when they see your sign.

Potential downside: The only negative I'm seeing is if people on the course have a negative reaction to the advertising in general. Most people don't like having advertising thrown in their faces and while the gold course is often a place where business gets discussed, it's still seen by most as a way to get away from things for a few hours. It's possible people will take a negative view toward them. If that happens they could end up associating negative thoughts with anyone who has a sign.

Otherwise it's hard to see why you wouldn't take up the golf course on their offer.

thx4yrtym
02-28-2009, 04:52 PM
I might try something like

Focus
Relax
Have FUN!

your company name (smaller letters )
Your phone (smaller letters )

and put it on the easiest hole

Regards,

Steve B
02-28-2009, 04:58 PM
That's a good point Steve. I don't golf very often, but I'd probably not want to golf at a course with billboards on display.

vangogh
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
It's hard to know how people will react. When baseball teams started placing more ads around the stadium I remember people not being happy. Now their common enough that they've become part of the scenery. Similar for stadium naming rights. I can see where the signs might upset people on the golf course at first, but if they're present long enough they'll just be part of the background again.

huggytree
03-01-2009, 09:27 AM
i cant figure out why they would want to clutter up their golf course for a couple of thousand dollars...it all seems too cheap...too good to be true....i would have thought $3,000 instead of $300

I am in the E-mailing back and forth phase and am waiting for the answer to 'can i have my phone # and a slogan'....i think it will just be my name and thats it...ill day no to that.

I am contacting all my networking friends about this opportunity.....if i get a contractor, electrician, heating contractor,handyman,etc...all to sponsor as well their lead becomes my lead..no matter who they call they fall into my circle....

Steve B
03-01-2009, 09:43 AM
I think I paid $250 for the banner to be hung in the high school gym and it included being hung on the football field fence too. It's a pretty big high school - it probably has over a thousand students and hosts a few regional sports tournements.

huggytree
03-01-2009, 01:38 PM
i got the ok for a tagline and phone number

anyone have any other creative idea's for a tagline?

what would make this sign memorable....i want something that people will think is funny or different.....i dont want to be a boring..'we do it right' or 'were the best'...

id prefer something funny which relates golf to plumbing....

without being crude im drawing a blank.

nealrm
03-01-2009, 03:59 PM
What type of business are you in?

greenoak
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
sounds pretty good...since most of the guys would rather be playing golf than working on their plumbing..
.i would forget the #2 idea....
somehow get across i can help you and call anytime and that youre small and local..
ann

billbenson
03-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Reading through this thread, my initial reaction was why on earth would someone in marketing for the golf course want to put up signs. Must have had a lobotomy. I bet the signs get taken down as fast as they get put up. They'll get a lot of complaints I bet.

Just H
03-03-2009, 08:18 AM
If you're going for it, I'd try to do something like Get a Hole in One with . . . or No Bogeys with . . . There's lots of golf analogies. Are you in plumbing? I can't remember. Find one that plays on your biz - the Hole in One might work well with plumbing.

Not sure I'd be thrilled about ads on the golf course but who knows? I was infuriated when the beloved Mile High Stadium became Invesco Field - as long as money's being made though, people tend to forget the subliminal messages and it becomes a standard. Good luck and keep us updated on the results!

Spider
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
I can see that advertising where there was no advertising before and where people go to get away from stuff like constant advertising, would reflect badly on the advertiser. So, I suggest not advertising.

Place a sign that says, "Have a great game -- from Dave at Wa..... Plumbing."

Do not include a phone number or a tagline. Nobody will write down your phone number or be sold by a tagline - if they want to find you, they can find you in the phone book with the name of your company. The name of your company is the name of a nearby town, so it is suitably memorable.

By not including your phone number or any other contact info, you are saying, "This is not advertising, I'm just a sponsor of your golf club, keeping your membership fees low, and wishing you a good game."

By giving your name, you have made it a personal message and the name of your company is now only to indentify which Dave.

It's now a completely non-advertising message that will rest pleasantly with everyone who tees off from there. And to catch them at their happiest, I'd place the sign on the first tee, if you can.

Steve B
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I think that's awesome advice Frederick.

I want to change my answer to what he said!

Dan Furman
03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Agree with Spider (again... what the heck is going on here?) This is not the place for responsive type advertising (phone number / slogan) but more sponsorship advertising. That way, when they look for a plumber, they say "Dave from Wa... plumbing..... I've heard of him."

Pay the $300, and don't track whether you directly get a job from it - that's not the focus of an ad like this. Your business is getting to the point where you need both types of advertising - the type where you track if it "worked", and the type that is impossible to track, but will yield results over time in an overall sense (there's a reason companies pay millions to attach their name to a stadium, for example, and they do so without a tagline or phone number.)

vangogh
03-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I agree as well. Like Frederick said golfers won't be talking your number down and calling on the course. Make this about branding. Give a positive message that isn't in your face marketing. Your goal should be to leave a positive feeling with anyone seeing the sign.

The sponsored by message Frederick suggested is perfect.

the goat
03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Is this a private club or a muni? I can't imagine a private club selling ads.

I like the suggestion of not having it be "add-y" but I would put it on the ninth hole, there is generally a wait there which means more visibility, but by then the golfers will be used to the advertisements and they won't make them want to puke as much.

The fact that this is happening on a golf course is a sure sign of the apocalypse IMO.

Just H
03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
What other sport do the participants walk casually through talking about their lives w/ pencil and paper in hand? I'm not sure jumping to the assumption that no one will write them down is the best approach.

vangogh
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
That is true. It is one sport where they at least have the means to write your number down while playing. It's hard to know how people will react to an add on the golf course though. Also most people won't specifically be looking for a plumber while golfing. If you're not looking you probably won't bother writing down the name and number.

I think Frederick's suggestion would create a lot of good will. You're seeing all these other signs pushing a marketing message and then get to one that's just saying glad we could help support your fun time. It's going to create a positive feeling and I think the name would be remembered.

You are right though that the means to record the number are there in your hand.

Blessed
03-03-2009, 09:06 PM
A lot of times on advertising we make the phone number BIG and BOLD - what if you took Frederick's approach and then smaller, but still there under your name is your phone number. That way if someone's wife called while he was on the way to the golf course to say that the kitchen sink just exploded and the guy saw your sponsorship ad, he could write your number down.

I don't know - it's just a thought. I do really like Fredrick's idea better than actually trying to make this an advertising message - let it be a sponsorship message.

Spider
03-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I like H's reminder that golfers walk around with pencil and pad in hand. I still wouldn't like to see the phone number on the "Have a great game" sign but....

....Don't rely on them writing your number down. As a complement to your on-tee "Have a great game" sign, offer to supply the club with the score pads or score card (or whatever the score is written on) with a discrete notice at the bottom saying, "Supporting your club - score card provided courtesy of Dave at Wa...Plumbing. Tel: 123-456-7890"

Of course, any business could do this for any sport or activity that keeps score - bowling, bridge, canasta, bingo ....

vangogh
03-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Interesting. I wonder what it would cost to print the scorecards. Where are our printer members? I would think you could print a reasonable amount within a budget. Maybe you wouldn't be able to supply the club with scorecards forever or even a year, but a promotion lasting a month might be doable.

Then again if it works to bring in business maybe you could justify the cost for longer.

Just H
03-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Great idea on sponsoring the score cards. On a similar note, I know golf tees can be personalized too so you could look into which might be more cost effective for the quantity and offer one or the other in the club house before they head out. Not sure about the little placeholders but might be worth looking into. I think Frederick's idea of wishing them a good game rather than pushing an ad is a great idea!

Spider
03-04-2009, 10:03 AM
I used to sell advertising specialties (the doo-dads companies give away with their name and phone number printed on them) and the golfing world has many, many standard products that can be imprtinted

Tees
Golf balls
Hand towels
Ball markers
Pencils
Club covers
and many of these come in combination packs.

I've seen a minature bag of clubs that was actually a tissue dispenser.

Plus any number of things that are "golf" shaped, like a round mouse pad printed to resemble a golf ball, or golf club shaped key tag.

Your imagination is your only limit, if you start to delve into this form of advertising.

cocoy
03-04-2009, 04:34 PM
I'd pick the ninth tee or whichever one is the farthest from the bathroom.

"Don't you wish you had a plumber now?"

:D

huggytree
03-04-2009, 07:47 PM
private golf course..

i may just use my website....its easy to remember.

i agree that no one will write the phone # down anyways.

i think if i can come up with something funny on the sign it will get me business or atleast noticed...

maybe even just the typical phrase 'were #1 in #2' may be good enough to get a chuckle and be noticed..

i am going to put my city and say 'locally owned'..

Steve B
03-05-2009, 05:32 AM
'were #1 in #2'

I think that's a good tag line for someone in the Port-A-Potty business. It doesn't seem consistent with the high end work you like to do. It doesn't make me think of first class remodeling work or top-notch new home installations with quality fixtures.

huggytree
03-05-2009, 09:40 AM
i met with the golf course owner today...the sign is not stand alone, its the bottom 3rd of the granite sign for the hole.....i chose the 3rd hole because he said it gets backed up there and people will linger around the sign...

im giving up on being funny.....ill just stress that i do the job correctly and that im local

1 or 2 jobs and ill be happy

0 jobs and i wont renew...everything ive ever done has always gotten me atleast 1 job