PDA

View Full Version : Pitching your product to retailers?

votrechien
02-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been importing boating products for some time now and selling these products directly online to customers. I'd like to now have retailers stock my items.

I know I can go the route of selling my products to distributors, but I'm not sure if I want to go in this direction just yet. What I'd like to do is to pitch my product to some of the local boating stores.

So a few questions:

1) Are most stores receptive to purchasing products directly from an importer or do they prefer to go exclusively through a distributor?

2) Assuming I walk into a medium sized boating store, should I simply ask for the person in charge of purchase decisions?

3) When I make an agreement for a purchase order, should I require payment in full upfront for the products? At a later date? Should I offer to buy back excess inventory after xxx amount of time?

Also, if anyone knows of any good books/websites for the above, I'd love to hear them :- )

Dave

KristineS
02-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Dave,

Are you looking to get your product in a chain store or in an independently owned store. If you're pursuing a chain there is usually a buyer at the corporate office who buys for that specific category.

If you're trying to get into an independently owned store, your best bet would probably be to ask to either speak to the order or the person who makes purchases. These people may well be one and the same.

I'm also not sure you should walk in, I'd call first and try to set up an appointment.

greenoak
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
mainly you need to get the good info and pictures to the right person...usually a new account had to pay when they get it..... i dont mind a salesperson calling on me...but many want an appt first....i would probably send a good brochure and then call.... buying back isnt something anyone offers in my part of retail....
your best bet would be to display at a wholesale boat show...also a store wants to pay at most ...half of retail...
ann

Dan Furman
02-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been importing boating products for some time now and selling these products directly online to customers. I'd like to now have retailers stock my items.

I know I can go the route of selling my products to distributors, but I'm not sure if I want to go in this direction just yet. What I'd like to do is to pitch my product to some of the local boating stores.

So a few questions:

1) Are most stores receptive to purchasing products directly from an importer or do they prefer to go exclusively through a distributor?

Some big chains may want a distributor, but smaller stores (and smaller chains) will likely be receptive to you.

2) Assuming I walk into a medium sized boating store, should I simply ask for the person in charge of purchase decisions?

For a small store, yea, I would. For a larger store, I'd send something, then setup an appointment.

3) When I make an agreement for a purchase order, should I require payment in full upfront for the products? At a later date? Should I offer to buy back excess inventory after xxx amount of time?

Also, if anyone knows of any good books/websites for the above, I'd love to hear them :- )

Dave

Again, this will depend on the store. A small store might reach right into the register to pay you and be done with it. WalMart will want six months dating and a full buy-back guarantee (I don't know this for a fact, but the bigger the place, the longer they want to take to pay.) You'll have to feel your way.

As far as books... Harvey Mackay's first two books (sharks and naked man)might touch on this stuff a little (more like getting in, getting an appointment stuff than straight pitching retail.) But he's a good read regardless.

Good luck!

phanio
03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Why don't you just try it without a product. Find a local, small to medium sized boating store - use the chamber's website or other source to find out who the owner is - and set up an appointment to meet with them. Do not try to sell anything - but, ask them these questions. Ask how they buy - why they buy - when they buy - quanities - returns and refunds - etc. Tell them when you are setting up the appointment that you are not selling but just getting information - and stick to it. Business owners like to talk about their business and themselves.

Why not try getting the information you seek directly from the horse's mouth.

Just some thoughts

Spider
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Cold calling must be the most antiquated and ineffective approach still being attempted by sales people. It is cold calling whether you walk into a showroom unannounced or telephone them cold.

As you are planning local contact (although this applies to non-local as well) I would expect you to have far, far greater success if you are introduced by someone who knows the owner of the business you want to speak with. You don't need to contact the owner, you need to contact someone who knows the owner, and let that person introduce you.

So, who do you know who knows the owner? Or who do you know who knows someone who knows the owner?

It's called networking.