PDA

View Full Version : Yea! Hubby is working again!

Blessed
02-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Well after being laid off for 7 weeks Hubby started a job on Monday. It isn't something he would have accepted normally, but it is with a good, large company, he does have awesome benefits, didn't have to take a paycut and it's going better than he thought it would.

Unfortunately he's still looking for something else because after he is done with his training he'll be on third shift (11 pm to 7:30 am) and he hates working third shift. But for now, at least he's working again and since he is deciding that he likes this job he'll be real picky about accepting another position which means he might stay there for a long time.

The other good news is that between cutting and selling firewood, which he did while he was laid off, unemployment (about 1/3 of what he normally brought home a week), the jobs I was able to finish and collect payment on, our well-stocked pantry and the $1k cushion we keep in the checking account we were able to pay all of our bills for two months, eat decent food and keep fuel in our vehicles without having to touch our savings account. Now we have to rebuild that cushion, restock the pantry and pick up a few things we "need" but have been living without (wood glue, batteries, ink cartridges) - but he's working again, we can do it and we're thankful!

Patrysha
02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Way to go Blessed! And congratulations to your hubby.

rezzy
02-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Thats great! Its always hard when someone loses a job, especially with everyone tightening their belts.

vangogh
02-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Congrats to hubby on the new job, though sorry about the 3rd shift. That's hard. I'm sure he'll find something better sooner or later, but it's good to know he's working again.

cbscreative
02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
I never doubted that he would be working again soon. Congrats. Even though it's 3rd shift, I'm sure there is a reason for that, and it will make more sense later even if it doesn't right now.

KristineS
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm glad to hear things are working out.

kml9870
02-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Congratulations! Maybe it will work out that he can transfer to a different shift after a little while.

huggytree
02-26-2009, 09:15 PM
good news....id try to 5x that cushion next time..a $1k cushion would cause me to lose sleep...

i worked 3rd shift for 7 years and 2nd shift for 2.....it was a nightmare.....i started over in careers at age 27 and cut my wage in 1/2 just to be 1st shift.

its a miracle that he held his wage in this economy....your very lucky! or skilled at finding jobs....maybe both...

Blessed
02-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi Huggytree!

The $1k cushion is in our checking account then we keep $4k to $5k in our savings account at the bank too. I agree if $1k was all we had to fall back on I'd loose sleep too.

We are paying off our truck with our tax refund this year (we owe less than $4k on it) and then we only owe my grandmother some money because when we finally put an end to the irresponsible financial habits we had developed we borrowed a lump sum from her to pay off high-interest credit cards. If my income continues like it has so far this year we should have her paid off in a year. At that point all we'll owe on is the house! And honestly, we could sell our house, pay off Grandma and still have enough cash for a 20% down payment on something else - but we'll probably wait another year to do that so hopefully we'll end up with a 30-50% down payment on another house, depending on what the market is doing at that time.

Since we'll have the truck paid off soon - some of that truck payment will go into savings every month to build that up so that if my 10 year old vehicle with 180k miles on it decides to kick the bucket we can find something used that is still nice to replace it with without having to finance anything. The rest of that payment will go to grandma to get her paid off faster.

I can see a light at the end of the debt tunnel and it isn't a train! We are really happy to be at this point - we've paid off over $50k in the last two years making less than $75k a year combined. We have less than $25k to go and aside from the being laid off for two months setback we're well on our way to knocking that out as well.

Steve B
02-28-2009, 06:59 AM
we've paid off over $50k in the last two years making less than $75k a year combined.

Dave Ramsey would be proud. As should you! Nice work.

Blessed
02-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Dave Ramsey would be proud. As should you! Nice work.

Thanks Steve - I am... especially because it hasn't been easy, but it is definitely well worth it to know we can take a lay-off, etc... in stride now.