PDA

View Full Version : I got stumbled

orion_joel
02-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Well, i do not know exactly what was stumbled, but i know it happened saturday just gone. I know there had been a spike in visitors that day but only today when i was looking closer at my stats have i realized it was from stumble upon.

Nothing earth shattering just 62 visitors according to Google analytics. Although nothing to be shuned in my opinion. I had thought it was fallout from my push to create a twitter profile for the site, and this may have been where it originated. But either way i just need to figure out how to replicate it. I doubt it would have made the front page either, so i can just imagine what some people would see when they do make it to the front page.

tuitionsource
02-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Congrats. It's cool when you get to see a surge in traffic even if you are only starting out.

vangogh
02-26-2009, 02:22 AM
You should be able to tell in Analytics which page was stumbled. Check your traffic for referring sites, which is how I assume you know the traffic came from SU. Click on the stumbleupon.com link so it's the only referring site showing. It should then show as referrer.php. Just above that you'll see a drop down called Dimension. It'll be showing Referral Path by default. Select Landing Page in the drop down and you'll know which page or pages were stumbled.

rezzy
02-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Thats great. I haven't used stumbled upon in a while now. I like you have started focusing on doing alot of more via twitter. I have "met" people I wouldnt have normally met, and found people I know tweet with people near me, which is always interesting.

Spider
02-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Can one "stumble upon" one's own site? Or this considered bad form?!

vangogh
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Better to have someone else stumble it for you. The traffic will come after several people have voted for the submission and if you submit your own content you run the risk of others thinking it's spam and not voting. That doesn't mean you can't submit your own content, but make sure to submit other people's content too.

Also know that SU traffic isn't always that great. It tends to be hit and run. You do have to submit content the community there is looking for otherwise people will quickly leave.

rezzy
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
I tried stumbling my own content. Early in my blog days as a marketing idea, it didnt add any thing. The stumble market is more about shock value then any long lasting community. I find stumbled brings alot of users quicker then you can imagine. Then they disappear. They create spikes with no long lasting visitor increase.

vangogh
02-26-2009, 02:13 PM
That's generally what I've seen too. I think if you have the right content for the community and get consistently stumbled over time it can pay off. For me SU is usually one of my biggest referrers each month, yet very little has come from it. I don't see people sticking around and coming back. Some of that is my fault, but it's also the nature of stumbling. The people landing on your site aren't really looking for you. Most just randomly end up on your site.

rezzy
02-26-2009, 02:38 PM
If I ended up on a text site and it didn't catch my attention within the first 3 seconds, I stumbled on to the next.

I literally moved that quickly.

vangogh
02-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Which is usually what's happening when someone clicks and lands on your page as well. Just the way stumbleupon works.

orion_joel
02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
The landing page just showed as "/" So not sure. Anyway about the visitors, yes many quiet quick. a bounce rate of about 60% is showing, so many stopped looked and moved on.

vangogh
02-26-2009, 06:19 PM
60% is a pretty good bounce rate from StumbleUpon in all honestly. I think there's an issue though in how SU works and many people get recorded as visiting two pages on your site when in fact they've only visited one. I had seen an article about that awhile back, but haven't been able to find it again.

If all you're seeing is / it's possible it was your home page that was stumbled. To check go to:

stumbleupon.com/url/url-of-your-webpage

You'll be able to see if anyone has stumbled your page and who has voted and left reviews if it has been submitted.

bizcard
03-24-2009, 08:17 AM
The best way to get stumbled in stumbleupon.com is to keep on stumbling and post a review on the site you have stumbled.

vangogh
03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Of course just because you get stumbled and get traffic from SU, doesn't mean any of that traffic is useful. A lot of people see traffic as the end goal, when it's not. I'd rather have one visitor who buys something than 1,000,000 visitors who bounce.

orion_joel
03-25-2009, 03:01 AM
I guess in regards to a blog, buying something would be subscribing. So i guess it then comes down to if you want page views or genuine visitors. This of course most likely would depend on your advertising method.

vangogh
03-25-2009, 03:24 AM
If your goal is to show stats so you can sell advertising then I guess you're looking for pageviews. The problem with that is it's really not a sound business model. Say I advertise on your site because you're showing a lot of pageviews and visitors. A month or two in and no sales for me and I'm pulling the ads no matter how much traffic you show.

The concept of getting traffic solely to show to advertisers is artificial. Ultimately it leads to nothing more than meaningless stats. I'm sure you can make money with it for the short term, but the money could go away overnight. Better to build a sound business model that can sustain itself over a longer period of time.

janicejan
04-06-2009, 12:24 AM
If your page has got stumbled upon then it seems to have a very interesting post, good for you, your pages are optimizing for itself :p

vangogh
04-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Not necessarily. You can get traffic from StumbleUpon without having a good page. Better to get less, though targeted traffic, than a lot of traffic that isn't interested in what you're offering.