PDA

View Full Version : Product Licensing with Marvel/Disney

kyoung88
03-28-2014, 01:57 AM
Hi there. I am wondering what the process will be like to obtain a product licensing agreement with Marvel. I was told that I will be required to pay an up-front payment in addition to a per unit percentage. Is there any easy way to find out this information before calling them? They are hard to get on the phone. Any tips, advice or information on the entire process of obtaining a product licensing agreement would be awesome :cool:

Harold Mansfield
03-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Hi there. I am wondering what the process will be like to obtain a product licensing agreement with Marvel. I was told that I will be required to pay an up-front payment in addition to a per unit percentage. Is there any easy way to find out this information before calling them? They are hard to get on the phone. Any tips, advice or information on the entire process of obtaining a product licensing agreement would be awesome :cool:

Hire an attorney. I'd be willing to bet good money confidently that Disney isn't going to take you seriously if you don't have an attorney handling a licensing deal.
In the meanwhile here are pages about licensing requirements which tells you exactly who you need to be and what you need to do:
How to Obtain a Disney License | eHow (http://www.ehow.com/how_5179544_obtain-disney-license.html)

Disney Licensing: https://disneystudiolicensing.com/

gaseousclay
05-10-2014, 06:47 PM

For starters, I'd suggest reading up on and familiarizing yourself with licensing. I tried contact universal studios a couple yrs back about licensing and it soured my experience. First, it's incredibly expensive and not very small business friendly. When I contacted universal they wanted $25k upfront plus something like 7% in royalties on top of that. This was for a 2 yr deal. They basically don't want you wasting their time if you don't know what you're doing or don't have the money. They just wanna get paid and your product idea doesn't really matter, hence the additional royalty. Some companies might be different, so YMMV.