PDA

View Full Version : G'day eh

theGypsy
08-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Hi peeps... Dave here....

I figured since Steve (aka VanGogh) had done so much as a friend of mine and industry cohort I would take the chance to join up and hang out from time to time here with ya'll

As a social networking 1.0 veteren (you know, forums) there is still soooo much to offer on boards that other forms of social networking just can't offer.

While I have been building web businesses since 1998, SEO is my main strong point these days...

I hope to get to know you peeps and look forward exchanging ideas....

vangogh
08-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey Dave. Welcome to the new forum. You know I didn't realize until a couple of days ago you were a member of the old forum way back in the day. You used a different username which is what threw me off.

Thanks for rejoining the community. I'm hoping we'll get enough conversation in the marketing/seo forums to expand them a bit and I think that's right up your alley.

KristineS
08-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Yay, the Plurk people are starting to join us.

Welcome to the forum.

vangogh
08-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Dave is a good friend from many sources, plurk being one. You'll find he's never short of opinion and knowledge and fortunately both are always good and entertaining.

cbscreative
08-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Welcome, Dave. I don't think I have crossed your path yet, or just don't remember it. Glad to have you join us and lend any web and SEO insights you have, or engage in any other discussions we have here.

theGypsy
08-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Yay, the Plurk people are starting to join us.

Welcome to the forum.

He he... I really haven't been plurking the last few weeks... As I was saying forums are much better as one can actually find threads they participate in after the fact... duh... what a concept?

And to be honest, peeps in social media are creeping me out as they seem to be chasing the 15 minutes of fame. Everyone wants to be a top digger, sphinner, plurker etc... ultimately Plurk and Twitter remind me more of a glorified chat room than anything.

Welcome, Dave. I don't think I have crossed your path yet, or just don't remember it. Glad to have you join us and lend any web and SEO insights you have, or engage in any other discussions we have here.

Actually, I have been building the web on many levels since 1998 and we also own a web design/development company and a hosting company (which the missus runs) - so I will get in on more than a few chats beyond SEO around here... SEO is just my main passion ;0)

vangogh
08-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I noticed my plurk timeline has been a lot less full the last week or so. It's not just you.

Many people probably don't realize that Dave was a member of the old forum before most of us. cdsadmin if I'm not mistaken was the username.

theGypsy
08-11-2008, 12:03 PM
yes 'tis true Steve.... before 'theGypsy' I was using my company moniker (comprehensive development services aka cdsadmin) - over the years I had been on many, many boards... more than 8 or so actively at one point....

Gypsy was a nickname from my youth and I migrated to that eventually and have that handle on most boards...

As for Plurk, not to be a bandwagon type, but the qualitative research I did and other monitoring has lead me to believe it will be a niche site and not truly hit the major leagues...

While it has some nice features, not being able to segment my conversations and track them makes it a short term temporal activity as going back to previous threads (such as subs in a forum) is next to impossible... this merely fragments discussions which is counter productive IMO

Beyond that, how much 'chit chat' can one take from strangers? I enjoy talking shop (web business development) more than than about your freakin dog. Sure, folks tried with 'PlurkShops' but even those a re a mess really... much rather use a forum....

This week I am going to be playing with SocialMedian some more... pimp that and see if some discussions can be created there..... but if it's anything like my FriendFeed Experiments.... might not be much there either...

Long Live the Forum(s)!! Still my fav way....

vangogh
08-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I only recently realized it was you under that old moniker. I guess we've known each other longer than I thought. I noticed Brent Csutoris used to post on the old forum back in the day too.

One thing I will say in Plurk's favor is that in a short amount of time it's become one of my better sources of traffic. It's #4 for the last couple of months in terms of driving traffic. The bounce rate continues to fo down and the time spent and pages viewed keeps going up.

I think with all social media and networking the important word is social. The medium will change. In a year we may not be talking on Plurk or Twitter, but the important part is we're still talking to each other.

I also think while forums aren't the sexy place to chat they still fall under the social media umbrella. There's a lot to be said for being able to use more than 140 characters per message.

One of the issues I see lately with social media is there are just too many sites. As soon as a new one is announced everyone jumps over and signs up and then never goes back again. It's inevitable that more will arise, but it also gets very fragmented.

Coach Morse
08-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi Dave,
Welcome aboard! :)

theGypsy
08-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Tnx Coach... glad to be here.... :o

Paul Elliott
08-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Welcome, Dave. Nice to know you.

Paul