PDA

View Full Version : Using an old phone from 2007. Like a trip down tech memory lane

Harold Mansfield
03-03-2014, 07:07 PM
This past weekend I lost my phone. Looked all weekend and couldn't find it and my anti-theft program couldn't locate it. So it's just gone.

So while I'm waiting to replace it, I dug up an old 2007 (pre-Android, pre-iPhone) phone out of the bottom of a box to use for now.
It took me 5 minutes to remember how to turn it on.

It's like a trip down technology memory lane. It wasn't that long ago that this was the height of technology. This was when Bluetooth was just getting popular, and 3G was the gold standard.

It's an LG Rumor Touch (this is the actual features list)

Featuring a Large 3" Touch Screen
2.0 Megapixel Camera/w camcorder
Mobile Web
One Touch Speakerphone (how many touches did it used to be?)
Music Player
262k Color 400x200 Pixel Screen
Social Network Capabilities
Fast connection speed over 3g Mobile Network
Full Slide Out QWERTY Keyboard

This is the actual description

With the LG Rumor Touch Phone, you can enjoy the convenience and style of a touch-screen phone along with a five-line QWERTY keypad. Quickly scroll through your selections on the big, 3-inch screen, where you can update appointments, search the web, make a call, watch TV, or access your favorite music. With its familiar QWERTY layout, the slide-out keypad makes it easy to text, email, or enter data.

The Rumor Touch is compatible with Bluetooth wireless devices, so you'll have the option to put down your phone and enjoy a hands-free conversation.
Man we were living back then, weren't we?

By the way, it never could do most of that stuff comfortably. It has all of the stuff on it like Facebook, Twitter, POP Email and so on.. but the phone is so slow and so small that it was a nightmare to actually try and use it. Probably one of the worst phones I've ever owned. But it's saved my ass twice now.

Brian Altenhofel
03-04-2014, 12:47 AM
I still have my Nokia 3310 somewhere...

carloborja
03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
I remember back in 2007, the Motorola Razr was like the iPhone of its time. Oh man. Flip phones.

Can't imagine phones looked like that before.

And yup, like Brian I had some good times with the Nokia 3310. Space Impact was like the "boss" of games before.

Harold Mansfield
03-05-2014, 01:38 PM
I remember back in 2007, the Motorola Razr was like the iPhone of its time. Oh man. Flip phones.

The Razr was the "must have" phone. I had at least 3 of them ( I lose phones periodically).
Remember how excited everyone was when they came out with colors?

Didn't take much to make people giddy back then, nor for companies to have an excuse to charge an extra $100 for a handset.

billbenson
03-05-2014, 05:25 PM
But think about each individual step. Rotary to touch tone; The first clunky cells; the flip phone as mentioned above (beam me up Scotty), to texting and the other features we have today. I personally think that texting was a sinister government plot for population control. Each one of these steps was major at the time. And the trend is only going to continue.

Harold Mansfield
03-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Remember texting by having to hit the number key multiple times depending on which letter you were trying to add? It was brutal.
That seems like decades ago, but it was only a few years back.

Now I just hit reply and talk into the phone and hit send.

I think there's a way to just say "reply" and "send". Also I think I can just say the person's name and "Message" and then speak the message, but I haven't taken the time to figure all of that out.

Brian Altenhofel
03-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Remember texting by having to hit the number key multiple times depending on which letter you were trying to add? It was brutal.

I knew a girl in high school that could be taking a test while having a full conversation via text message in her pocket. She'd slip it out every now and then to read replies, but she had the keypresses so down that she'd catch mistakes without ever looking at the phone. It was fascinating to watch.

David Hunter
03-06-2014, 09:10 PM
I remember in 2003 I got the first LG camera flip phone. I couldn't believe it... a camera on a phone! hahaha

Harold Mansfield
03-06-2014, 10:50 PM
My replacement phone comes tomorrow and not a minute too soon. As much as I complained about not liking my Motorola POS, I can't wait to get it back. It's a Star trek Communicator compared to what I've been using this week.

LeadMaster
03-07-2014, 04:22 PM
I am actually perfectly content with pre-smartphone phone, I'm having to force myself to transition for work purposes ;] We do have smartphone integration.

Jordan Miller
03-22-2014, 02:55 PM
LOL nostalgia is always awesome!