PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite business blogs?

JohnF
03-03-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm looking for some cool blogs to read- so far all I read is ProBlogger, Four Hour Work Week, and I Will Teach You to be Rich. I'd like to hear everyone's recommendations, not just for strictly business blogs, but any that are tangentially related to business- doesn't matter how big or small they are.

Harold Mansfield
03-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Everyday (M-F) I grab my tablet and hit the couch while the news is on and read (browse):

Mashable
Read Write Web
Engadget
TechCrunch
Fast Company
Search Engine Land
Marketing Land
HOW Design
The Next Web

If I'm still hungry for more, I'll browse a few Android blogs, PC Computing, and Entrepreneur (Although the articles seem to repeat themselves after while).

Brian Altenhofel
03-04-2014, 01:12 AM
Business-related feeds (for me):

Andy Beal
Blogstorm
Conversation Marketing
DesignM.ag (skim the titles... articles repeat quite often... different author, different words, same points... often has advertisement-only posts)
Drupal Planet (aggregator of Drupal-related content)
Matt Cutts
Moz
Official Google Blog
SEO Roundtable
Under30CEO
Web Designer Depot (skim the titles... articles repeat quite often... different author, different words, same points)
WorkAwesome
You're the Boss

And then several of my competitors' blogs...

I also have status feeds for my upstream service providers, but those are mostly for automatic ticket creation.

Hobby feeds:

Balkinization
OpenCongress
SCOTUSBlog
Volokh Conspiracy

And some local political and legal feeds...

Leisurely reading:

Court transcripts and opinions
Cigar Aficionado (actually have a subscription on my tablet for that)
Pending legislation

By the way, if you want to guarantee that I won't follow your feed, don't put the complete articles in the feed.

JohnF
03-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Okay, I see some awesome blogs in there. Totally forgot about Under30CEO- saw that one years ago then didn't keep up with it. Going to go through the rest of those today, see which ones I want to follow. Thanks guys.

eina26
03-05-2014, 08:48 PM
My favorties are The Next Web, Techcrunch and Mashable. :)

LeadMaster
03-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Those are great recommendations. I tend to brief through specific Google+ communities for blog articles and news about recent news, I like variation.

JohnF
03-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Awesome. What I'm especially looking for are blogs with a pretty sizable following where I can either write guest posts or hold a giveaway to draw attention to my site. Under30CEO sounds like it fits the bill- I'm reading through it right now. A few others might too. Figure I'll just e-mail them all if I'm not sure, but it probably rules out major news sites. I'm also looking at GiveGetWin for that purpose- not a blog though. Any other good ones that are more about business/marketing rather than pure tech?

Harold Mansfield
03-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Awesome. What I'm especially looking for are blogs with a pretty sizable following where I can either write guest posts or hold a giveaway to draw attention to my site.
You'll be hard pressed to find a blog that is already successful that will let an unknown guest post unless they are experts in their field and can write content that is beneficial to them in some way. People don't just let others guest blog out of the goodness of their hearts so that they can promote their own stuff to their audience. Most successful publications are trying to make money, not send readers to another website.

Also, no one is going to let you use the following that they've built up to promote your website. They will possibly allow you to advertise if it's not a conflict of interest. But that too is doubtful. Most websites don't advertise other websites to their audience unless they are part of a parent company that owns many websites.

You won't see Mashable advertising Gizmodo. But you may see "House Beautiful" running an ad for "Country Living" because they are the same company.

JMO

JohnF
03-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Yeah, that's what I was figuring. I know places occasionally solicit donations for giveaways- I know problogger did a while back. But it's like you say, that intersection of having the audience and being willing to do it is rare. So that marketing strategy may not be a winner, at least for now.

Harold Mansfield
03-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Yeah, that's what I was figuring. I know places occasionally solicit donations for giveaways- I know problogger did a while back. But it's like you say, that intersection of having the audience and being willing to do it is rare. So that marketing strategy may not be a winner, at least for now.

Not only that, but depending on your giveaway (assuming your target audience is U.S.), you have state, territory and D.C. laws to contend with. Every state doesn't allow every type of contest. Most general (sign up here for a chance to win this) are covered by most states. I think there's 2 that don't even allow that.
But other states have strict rules and you'll need to find out who or what area you are allowed to take entries from.

Gabe
03-13-2014, 02:27 AM
The be honest I don't follow any blogs religiously, I haven't found any that are consistently good enough. Besides, if you do you tend to miss out on others. Aggregator sites are a good option because you get a broader view and the best of everything. Any blog I have an interest in, but not the attention for, I'll just scan the RSS feed for.

It's more tech/startup related, but I like Hacker News (HN). You can skip all of the programming stuff, but it's just generally interesting stuff for the tech crowd. They tend to post the best stuff from around the web as well. Also the appropriate subreddit on reddit.com is pretty good, but I don't use reddit much, just HN.

Podcasts are also pretty great too. Mixergy is great and worth the subscription (especially for the courses and the older stuff), but the free stuff there is good as well. I listen to it for an hour a day while I'ma t the gym. For more WordPress relevance, check out The Matt Report.

Unfortunately there's a lot of garbage out there.

Gabe
03-13-2014, 02:33 AM
What I'm especially looking for are blogs with a pretty sizable following where I can either write guest posts or hold a giveaway to draw attention to my site.

Try Duct Tape Marketing. I tend to keep a low profile on the web (no blog or twitter), and just sent them an email out of the blue asking to do a guest post. They said sure and posted it. As an example you can check out the post here (http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/blog/2014/01/16/new-competitive-advantage/).

kamilagornia
06-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Some of my favorites:

Marie Forleo
Derek Halpern
Social Media Blogs
Convince and Convert
Jeff Bullas
Seth Godin

Steelfoxmedia
09-02-2014, 11:41 PM
These are all great recommendations! i'm going to have to pick up a few..

Hizest
09-04-2014, 12:17 PM
I suggest Quicksprout.com and Backlinko.com Great websites to learn about SEO & inbound marketing

Qmind
10-30-2014, 03:48 AM
I would check out OkDork (http://okdork.com) it's run by Noah Kagan who was #30 at Facebook and #4 at Mint. His advise on starting and growing a business is stellar. Plus he's pretty darn nice and a taco enthusiast. One day I hope to have coffee with him. Anyway, enough with my man crush. As far as a guest post, if you know your stuff and can get his attention then go for it.

will.i.earn
11-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Check out the blog of Ramit Sethi's brother - Maneesh. Hack the System (http://hackthesystem.com/)

I find it a more enjoyable read because it's like a less serious version of business/habit blogs.

MosheC
02-25-2016, 06:46 AM
My favorite blogs are:
four hour workweek
Smart passive income
problogger
Lazy ass stoner
And I will keep adding more to my resource page as I find them.

KatySmith
04-08-2016, 08:08 AM
I read Chris Brogan’s Blog, Convince & Convert, Smart Passive Income, Michael Hyatt’s Blog, Entrepreneur on Fire. They are all great as for me.

Youltorbed
04-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Thanks for asking, here is a quick list of the most popular blogs about business and whatnot:

All Business
Church Of The Customer
WiseBread
Steve Blank
Penelope Trunk's Brazen Careerist
Both Sides of the Table
LinkedIn Today
Copyblogger
Convince & Convert
Marie Forleo’s Blog
Duct Tape Marketing
Michael Hyatt’s Blog
PandoDaily
Smart Passive Income
Gary Vaynerchuk’s Blog
Amy Porterfield’s Blog
Entrepreneur on Fire

jelita
08-01-2016, 05:48 AM
There are so many business blogs out there. Thanks for sharing. Very helpful..

NaharVats
02-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Below i have mention my favourite blogs:-

Mashable
Search Engine Land
Marketing Land
TechCrunch
Matt Cutts
The Next Web

grayson
04-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Brian Dean's.