PDA

View Full Version : What type of Business Owner are you?

Steve B
02-22-2009, 06:59 AM
I thought I'd give the poll option a try.

Patrysha
02-22-2009, 11:39 AM
I voted...as the second option...I could support myself and family at a subsistence level, but not at our present lifestyle...

vangogh
02-22-2009, 12:01 PM
I voted for the first option. I figure since I haven't worked for anyone else in years and get all my money from my business, I must be supporting myself from the business.

I see you managed to get the poll working.

Dan Furman
02-22-2009, 02:20 PM
I voted the first, although I think your results will be off based on the end of the first question. I think almost any business can say "well yea, that's the goal..." regardless of if they are doing it now.

billbenson
02-22-2009, 02:28 PM
I voted for the first one as well as I am presently the only household income.

Steve B
02-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Dan you're right. That last part was done before I thought of the second option. The Poll only gives you five minutes to do an edit - so it can't be removed.

vangogh
02-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Who says you can't edit the poll? All you need to do is look for the invisible 'edit poll' link. It's good to be the king :)

All fixed.

I'll see if I can find on the backend how to give you a little more time to edit your polls.

kml9870
02-22-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm part-time, probably for another year. I work full-time for my church conference. The conference exists to help the local churches get group discounts on things like liability insurance, health insurance, etc. We are in the process of merging 4 conferences which will more than likely eliminate my job as of July 1, 2010. It will work well with my plans since I had already intended to be full-time from home by then :D

Blessed
02-22-2009, 11:42 PM
I picked the second option although I'm kinda sorta a blend between #2 and #3. Once my kids are older (I'm guessing in about 10 years) I'll be reaching for #1 - but right now I don't work another job myself and I'd like to be able to support my family in my income but it isn't there yet which means I need to pick option #2. However, my husband does hold an outside job and he is the one whose income we depend on - if it were just up to me I'd have to work another job at least part-time while working my job, so I guess that makes me #3.

OK, I think I confused myself... off to design work, I know how to do that :D

Steve B
02-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks VG. I thought of asking you to do that, but I didn't want to bug you.

I'm really number 2 - the withdrawals from my bank account in the last 18 months prevents me from being #1 ... yet. It's certainly the goal to support the family with this income.

Steve B
02-23-2009, 11:27 AM
We've had 75 views and only 14 people take the poll so far.

C'mon - it won't hurt. Noone will send you unsolicited e-mails or anything :)

I'm pretty sure there is an answer that would fit anyone viewing this thread.

vangogh
02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
No problem on the change. I don't mind. It's easy to change if you have the access.

Evan
02-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Part-time on my end, though it almost seems like a hobby! I'm careful not to use that word though.

Steve B
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
I'll explain the Hobby business. At least what I'm thinking of anyway. When we were selling advertising for our magazine, I would be amazed at how some of the small businesses in town could possibly make a profit. I.e. a coffee house that sells coffee for $3 a cup (or whatever). I would go in there at what I would think would be their prime time and they might have 2 customers. Same thing for some of the little gift shops in town. Then, I found out that many of them are run by the spouses of someone that has a very high paying job and they just wanted something to do with their time. They probably aren't making any money after they pay their rent etc., but they don't care. So, I called it just a hobby business.

Evan
02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
That makes a bit more sense!

Well, I'm part-time for now. At some point, I'll be full-time, but that'll be years down the line after many certifications and college degrees. :)

ghusa
03-03-2009, 03:37 AM
I voted the second option.......... (Full-Time - Trying to develop business to the point it supports self/family.) :)

Steve B
04-19-2009, 06:23 AM
There's probably been several new members since this post was being viewed - so I thought I'd sent it back to the top to catch some of the new folks. Or, anyone else that missed it a couple months ago.

vangogh
04-19-2009, 05:03 PM
It might be interesting if we also started talking about our goals for business. Some people do want to be full time and some are happy with the hobby business. Maybe even some of our reasons for wanting to be in business.

For me it was mostly a lifestyle decision. I'm not my most productive between the hours of 9 to 5 on a daily basis. I also enjoy the responsibility of being responsible for my own success. When I worked for others I felt there was too much luck involved in the equation and I was never one to play political corporate games. I could tell I was only going to rise so far in any company and would never really feel all that connected to my job.

Having my own business changes that. I am connected and I can go as far as I'd like

Steve B
04-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Very similar reasons for me. It's definitely hot a hobby however, three kids who aren't earning any money on their own yet.

vangogh
04-21-2009, 02:11 AM
C'mon get those kids working already :)

It's interesting how many of us probably are in business more for the lifestyle than the money. Don't get me wrong I want to make as much money as I can, but I'm willing to trade some money in order to enjoy my life.

graphic designer
05-17-2009, 11:38 PM
able to support family and self

<Please set up a signature through your control panel. Thanks>

Steve B
07-04-2009, 04:22 PM
I thought I'd resurrect this thread in hopes of capturing info. from our newer members. Or, anyone else that hasn't taken the pole yet.

Vivid Color Zack
07-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I would be somewhere in between the first two. As my partner and I (business, not the other kind) can afford rent, but we still eat like we're in college and we're living a rather minimalist lifestyle for now. I certainly couldn't support any kind of family right now.

It always surprises me how much it costs to keep the business running. Every month i see so much profit and then after all the bills are paid I'm back to mac n cheese and top ramen. heh.

Margarita_Planet
07-06-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm actually in between full and part time.

Harold Mansfield
07-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I am full time, I do support myself, but it's not as comfortable as I hope it will be. I have been full time for 6 months now, and I am right in between making it and thinking about picking up some side work so I can buy more stuff.

Steve B
02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
It's been over 6 months since this thread was on the front page and I wanted to give all the new members a chance to take the poll.

For clarification - the "Hobby Business" is one that doesn't really have to make much money because it's done as a way to keep busy (perhaps in semi-retirement or for someone with a spouse that makes enough money to support the family).

Spider
02-23-2010, 10:22 PM
I didn't even see this poll before - thanks for bumping it, Steve. I guess I'm the only business hobbyist (who'll admit to it, at least.)

I made my money before, retired, and now I'm in spending mode. Plus my wife has a grooming and boarding business that covers life's basics. I coach small business people as a way to pass on what I have learned and to help anyone in need. The people who can most benefit from business coaching are those who are doing well and want to accelerate their business from 'good' to 'great' - they are the ones who can afford it, too. However, the people who ask for coaching more are generally the ones who can least afford it, and I find myself doing more coaching pro bono than being paid for it. Thus, I answered " a hobby business" but it's no less serious and meaningful for that.

billbenson
02-24-2010, 09:42 PM
"Full-Time - currently capable of primary support of self/family"

But, Frederick, If you woke up tomorrow and didn't have anything but $10k in the bank and your "hobby business", could you support your family at a modest lifestyle with it?

Spider
02-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I won't wake up tomorrow with nothing but $10,000 and my coaching business. Why contemplate an impossibility?

I don't get it!

billbenson
02-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Answering a question with a question?

greenoak
02-25-2010, 01:49 AM
im definitely #1...and the only support in our family, delivering a pretty good lifestyle...imho,having to make a living was a great influence...lol...
v.g.im heavily into lifestyle reasons...that means so much ...i like the money tooo,but no boss and doing my own thing is the greatest.......
the busness is so serious tho it sometimes cramps my lifestyle issues....
.also i have the time for a fun hobby business....steampunk art....
and spider,didnt know you did freebies....thats nice..
ann