PDA

View Full Version : tweetburner (twurl)

orion_joel
02-21-2009, 12:57 AM
For my posting on twitter, when i post a link i try to make use of the tweetburner (http://www.tweetburner.com) service, which if your not familiar with it shortens your URL to approx 23-25 letters (good for twitter because of the character limit)

The other benefit is that it tracks how many clicks your links that you share receive. The thing i have just realized though is that even though my average clicks per link is only about 13.6, this is actually more then double the average for all links shared in this fashion. The average for all links through the Tweetburner service is just 6.3 clicks per link.

In fact to get to the top 10 in the last hour seems at time of writing anyway to only need about 17 clicks. Anyway just thought this was interesting, considering my other finds that the number of followers is not really reflective on how popular a link is.

vangogh
02-21-2009, 02:21 AM
I've been using whatever url shortening service is built into TweetDeck and before that Twhirl. I know there are some that will shorten your url as much as possible. Seems every other day a new url shortening service is springing up.

What it is about Tweetburner that you like? Is it mostly the click tracking?

orion_joel
02-21-2009, 03:49 AM
click tracking mainly, so that i can see how much interest a link i post gets, also good if you want to test different text to get traffic to a link, you can get a different short url each time and see which text with it gives better results (tweetburner, grabs the whole tweet that you post the link with.)

Also as long as you have your twitter account linked if you shorten the url in tweetdeck, it adds it to your tracking stats, when you select twurl, as the short url.

vangogh
02-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks Joel. Good to know. I take it the stats tell you a lot more than what you can see in Google Analytics. Sounds like it anyway.