PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for my business

mattw
02-20-2009, 06:23 PM
I've just joined the forum and would like to get as much feedback from everyone as possible.

I have recently created a business, which focuses on 4 business areas: (given the fact that i'm based in Poland, only two activities are actually directed at English-speaking clients)

1. business english workshops - targets the Polish corporate environment

2. translation services - polish-english, english-polish

3. communication outsourcing - directed at Polish companies needed assistance with communicating with English-speaking clients, partners, associates, etc.

4. language consulting - directed at foreign firms looking to bring their business to Poland (this is where I would like to get the most feedback for)

It'll probably be best to check out the website first as it'll give you the best outline of my business. I am particularly looking for suggestions in terms of business development abroad and any ideas related to language consulting.

It'll be very interesting to hear your thoughts on my company and I will definitely appreciate all input.
Matt

vangogh
02-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Welcome to the forum Matt. I think we're going to need a link to the website in order to check it out :)

I'll be honest that I don't know much about translation services or what the Polish market is like, but I would think there would be plenty of businesses who could use your service though. I think for any company looking to do business in a foreign country, particularly one with a different language it makes a lot of sense to have someone fluent in both languages to do the translation. I know how easy it is to have the translation come out poorly.

I would think you could sell your services with the idea that you know not only the language, but the local culture, and market in general and because of that could add a lot of value and help any business needing translation.

You may or may not be planning this, but you might think about translating web content for English sites with a presence in Poland. Many are probably using some auto translation, which I'm sure reads poorly in the native language. Might be another market for you.

Don't forget to post a link to your site or add it through your forum signature. Also feel free to introduce yourself with a thread in the Introduce Yourself so everyone can give you a proper welcome.

billbenson
02-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Is english or polish your first language? I once did a sales presentation in Haiti. We happened to have a Haitian who spoke French. French is the official language of Haiti although very few actually speak it but rather creole. The presentation had to be done in Haitian French in any case. So I flew over there with our Haitian employee and did the presentation.

I would think that companies who have North Americans doing presentations could use your services as well? Just a thought.

orion_joel
02-21-2009, 12:10 AM
I would think that the fourth area you have there could be a little broader then just language consulting.

It assumes that you are just filling the language barrier. But another service you could work this with is actual consulting on connecting international customers with either distributor's in Poland or Manufactures with international suppliers.

mattw
02-21-2009, 02:20 AM
Welcome to the forum Matt. I think we're going to need a link to the website in order to check it out :)

I'll be honest that I don't know much about translation services or what the Polish market is like, but I would think there would be plenty of businesses who could use your service though. I think for any company looking to do business in a foreign country, particularly one with a different language it makes a lot of sense to have someone fluent in both languages to do the translation. I know how easy it is to have the translation come out poorly.

I would think you could sell your services with the idea that you know not only the language, but the local culture, and market in general and because of that could add a lot of value and help any business needing translation.

You may or may not be planning this, but you might think about translating web content for English sites with a presence in Poland. Many are probably using some auto translation, which I'm sure reads poorly in the native language. Might be another market for you.

Don't forget to post a link to your site or add it through your forum signature. Also feel free to introduce yourself with a thread in the Introduce Yourself so everyone can give you a proper welcome.

good suggestions, much appreciated. i'll need to put more emphasis on the fact that we know both, our domestic market as well as the north american market and culture, thus we're sensitive to the way business is usually conducted in america and can apply that knowledge to working with our clients.

web content is mentioned on the website, but it's not as big a point as it should be, that's another thing i'll be looking into.

here's the link: Language Consulting, Translation, Workshops-Expert English (http://expertenglish.pl/en)

mattw
02-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Is english or polish your first language? I once did a sales presentation in Haiti. We happened to have a Haitian who spoke French. French is the official language of Haiti although very few actually speak it but rather creole. The presentation had to be done in Haitian French in any case. So I flew over there with our Haitian employee and did the presentation.

I would think that companies who have North Americans doing presentations could use your services as well? Just a thought.

polish is my first language although here in poland i'm considered a native speaker of English for teaching/consulting services since i gained all my education and work experience in america.

yes, that's exactly the kind of firms i am looking to target. they might not be moving into our market, but simply need to do a presentation or take a trip to poland and would require assistance with that.

mattw
02-21-2009, 02:27 AM
I would think that the fourth area you have there could be a little broader then just language consulting.

It assumes that you are just filling the language barrier. But another service you could work this with is actual consulting on connecting international customers with either distributor's in Poland or Manufactures with international suppliers.

definitely a good thought, and i have taken it into consideration before. i am at a very early stage now though, so taking it one step at a time seems like a good idea. depending on how the business grows, i will like to see it expand and include more comprehensive services for foreign clients.

vangogh
02-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Matt I'll tell you that just your few posts here have already convinced me you're good at what you do. Polish may be your native language, but your writing here is better than most of the people I see on forums who's native language is English. You're obviously fluent.

Do you have any connections to the type of companies you want to work with? I assume it will be more corporate clients, though I suppose small businesses might still make a presentation from time to time. Is there a way you can be at some presentations and that way introduce yourself or would most of these presentations be private for a specific business?

Is there a way you can find lists of companies presenting in Poland in order to build a list of potential leads for contact? Is it easier to find Polish companies now that need help with translation into English. That could be a way into the other side. You clearly have the ability and I would think some here would be impressed by the Polish company and inquire about how they were able to present so well.

I know there's a great need for translators in general and I would think once established in the market you'd have people seeking you out instead of having to seek them out. I'm guessing demand outweighs supply, but in all honesty I don't really know.

vangogh
02-21-2009, 02:56 AM
Just did a simple search for 'how to find a translator' and found some directories where it looks like you could list as well as the American Translators Association (http://www.atanet.org/index.php). Maybe the way in is to get yourself listed with these kind of associations.

I was thinking if I needed a translation service I would have no idea where to look and it occurred to me that might not only be me. Maybe the key is to think like a person who's looking for a translator and think about where they might look. Then make sure to have a presence there.

Steve B
02-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Here's a bit of interesting trivia. I have no idea where I heard this or why I remember this.

What is the only word that you can change the meaning of and the pronunciation by changing the capitalization of it?

You guessed it ... Polish.

huggytree
02-21-2009, 04:52 PM
will your business be locally based in your city or will you be traveling all over the country?

i wouldnt think there would be a large enough local market.....i would think you'd spend most of the time on the road?

Spider
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
If I was looking for a translator of any language for a particluar country, I would contact the embassy of that country - in this case, I would call the Polish Embassy or whichever other embassy was representing Poland, if there was no actual Polish embassy where I live. Once I had made contact, I woud ask for the Commerical section or whoever handled commercial inquiries.

That person would perhaps be a good reference for you or at least give you some guidance. I would think that many people seeking the sort of service you will be offereing would contact the Polish embasssy, commerical section or commercial attaché. If you could find out what advice they would normally give, you could position yourself on the other end, to receive that lead.

Obviously, you would need to contact this person at every Polish Embassy or Polish representative in every American city that has such an office. Then the Polish Embassy in other English-speaking countries. Consider also, Polish-American or Polish-English, etc. Chambers of Commerce

Also, many cities have a large Polish-American population. Perhaps much of your business would come from businesses in these areas.

Good luck.

mattw
02-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Matt I'll tell you that just your few posts here have already convinced me you're good at what you do. Polish may be your native language, but your writing here is better than most of the people I see on forums who's native language is English. You're obviously fluent.

Do you have any connections to the type of companies you want to work with? I assume it will be more corporate clients, though I suppose small businesses might still make a presentation from time to time. Is there a way you can be at some presentations and that way introduce yourself or would most of these presentations be private for a specific business?

Is there a way you can find lists of companies presenting in Poland in order to build a list of potential leads for contact? Is it easier to find Polish companies now that need help with translation into English. That could be a way into the other side. You clearly have the ability and I would think some here would be impressed by the Polish company and inquire about how they were able to present so well.

I know there's a great need for translators in general and I would think once established in the market you'd have people seeking you out instead of having to seek them out. I'm guessing demand outweighs supply, but in all honesty I don't really know.

thanks for the kind words. like you mentioned, the early stages will be toughest ones to get through. once i build up a client list, it should be much easier. the thing is i have a fairly good idea about different ways of attracting domestic customers, but i also do want to focus on the other side, finding foreign clients wanting to bring their business over here, and seeing as i'm not actually abroad right now, it is more challenging.

mattw
02-24-2009, 07:53 AM
will your business be locally based in your city or will you be traveling all over the country?

i wouldnt think there would be a large enough local market.....i would think you'd spend most of the time on the road?

definitely right, as far as language cosulting there must be a lot of travel involved. business english courses are based locally though, and most translation is done electronically anyway. so yeah, the entire polish market is in play as far as i'm concerned.

mattw
02-24-2009, 07:57 AM
If I was looking for a translator of any language for a particluar country, I would contact the embassy of that country - in this case, I would call the Polish Embassy or whichever other embassy was representing Poland, if there was no actual Polish embassy where I live. Once I had made contact, I woud ask for the Commerical section or whoever handled commercial inquiries.

That person would perhaps be a good reference for you or at least give you some guidance. I would think that many people seeking the sort of service you will be offereing would contact the Polish embasssy, commerical section or commercial attaché. If you could find out what advice they would normally give, you could position yourself on the other end, to receive that lead.

Obviously, you would need to contact this person at every Polish Embassy or Polish representative in every American city that has such an office. Then the Polish Embassy in other English-speaking countries. Consider also, Polish-American or Polish-English, etc. Chambers of Commerce

Also, many cities have a large Polish-American population. Perhaps much of your business would come from businesses in these areas.

Good luck.

great advice! much appreciated. ill definitely look into that and keep you updated on how this progresses.

vangogh
02-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Matt do you have any connections here in the U.S.? Frederick's idea about the embassy is a good one and could be the way into the U.S. market.

dynocat
02-25-2009, 02:52 AM
Another direction is offering your services to American businesses interested in exporting their products. Most US states have an active department promoting global trade. I know our state puts on workshops to help smaller businesses introduce and promote their products globally. You may want to contact the US or state governments' commerce departments or associations offering your services.

Best of luck.