PDA

View Full Version : hi from Aberdeen, Scotland

nighthawk
02-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey guys, I decided to sign up and introduce myself, and hopefully get some feedback and advice.

I currently work full time as a software developer, providing control systems for the oil industry. It has always been my intention to set up my own business, or at least work freelance on my own, the trouble is I am not sure what exactly to do.

I work full time, and would like to take on extra work on the side initially, with a view to concentrating full time on it eventually. I also move around a lot for work, so it needs to be something I can do online.

My area of expertise is I.T, although my experiences are quite wide and varying within this field. I am an experienced software developer, with knowledge primarily of C# for desktop development, and PHP for web based development. I considered picking up some freelance programming work, but it seems to be hard to find work - sites like rentacoder and guru.com have plenty of jobs listed - but for every job there are 5 or 10 other developers from India or China prepared to do the work for next to nothing.

One thing I always enjoyed was problem solving, trying to find solutions for I.T and logistical problems. Perhaps IT Consultancy, finding and recommending software to help businesses achieve their goals? Im not quite sure how to even begin to find work in this area though, perhaps concentrate on a specific area, maybe advising on the use of Open Source software, or perhaps advising on a specific product (i have extensive knowledge of mySQL server and database design...)

Anyway - hi all, and hope someone can offer some advice.

rezzy
02-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Well first, welcome NightHawk.

Secondly that is quite a loaded opening statement. I always tried those sites, guru.com but felt like those places are the right venue for trying to progress, since they are based on keeping costs low instead reasonably priced projects.

I always liked looking on free lance aggregators, which compiled lists from companies looking for workers. The names escape me at the moment.

In any case, post in the forum... this is for welcoming! :o

vangogh
02-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the forum Nighthawk. Is there a name to share with the username?

From what your saying the programming angle can be a good fit. I hear you about the rentacoder sites of the world and some of the low bids. I think many of the people with the projects understand why those bids are so low and would just as soon hire someone not from India or China so it might still be worth trying to see what happens.

You might also want to build a site and start marketing your services. While there are a lot of programmers out there, there's certainly a need. One market off the top of my head would be web designers. Many won't do their own programming, but will have clients who need some web apps developed. If you connect with a few it could be a nice source of revenue.

Another idea is to develop your own products. A quick example might be a CMS tailored to a specific industry. While there are plenty of general CMSs, you don't see quite as many written specifically for the needs of an industry.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas here if you start asking some questions. We've got a pretty good mix of people with some great ideas.

Thanks for joining the community.

CraigFLA
02-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Welcome nighthawk... I spent a week in Aberdeen at Tait Paper years ago...

Craig

KristineS
02-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Welcome Nighthawk.

cbscreative
02-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Welcome aboard, and you will find this is a great place to learn about business. Vangogh's suggestion to hook up with web designers would be a good possibility. Also, since you need something that is Internet based, you may wish to brainstorm an informational site. With your specific experience in the oil industry, there is probably a way you can use your knowledge in a way that is not being done. The same challenges my be faced in other industries, and your knowledge could solve problems which connect people with problems with those who can solve them.

Blessed
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Hello & welcome to the forum

kml9870
02-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi Nighthawk, welcome to SBF. I think Vangogh's suggestion of developing an industry specific CMS is a great idea. There are a lot of industries out there that have specific needs in a CMS that just don't exist right now.

nighthawk
02-21-2009, 11:18 AM
hey guys, thanks for the welcome. Appologies if this topic is a bit too loaded for the welcome section, it seemed more appropriate here than anywhere else.

With regards to the CMS idea - I was originally hired to the company I work for do develop an in house CMS system with the idea of selling it on, so I would have to be careful doing such a thing on my own, it may cause a few issues. Its certainly something I will consider though, if I ever come up with a good idea for a product.

I forgot to mention the web development aspect in my original post - this has been something I have been considering for a while, and it seems to be the best option for me. Sadly I have the design skills of a dead fish, so web design is out, but hooking up with a designer(s) to offer back end systems is certainly a good option.

Thanks again for all the welcomes and comments. BTW the name is Gavin.

vangogh
02-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey Gavin. Yeah I could see how developing a CMS could be a thorny issue at first, though in time it should no longer be an issue. Maybe it's the product for down the road a bit.

Before you sell yourself off the idea of being a designer know that you don't need to be the most graphical person to design a website. If you learn a few basics you can design a site that meets professionalism and you can increase your design skills if you want. However even if you don't want to you, you can always find someone with graphic skills, but lacking the development skills and either partner or outsource to them.

Or like I mentioned above you could be the go to person for several designers who need help with development and programming. I know a few designers who don't know the first thing about turning their designs into a live site, but fortunately work with others who do. It could be a potential market for you.

cbscreative
02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I agree, graphics is the easy part. What you can provide is functionality and there is definitely a market for your skills.

Paul Elliott
03-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Welcome, Gavin. I don't have much to offer that hasn't already been said, so I'll just wait in the weeds for now.

Paul