PDA

View Full Version : Working as a contractor and hiring contractor telemarketers?

ng89
02-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Hey everyone, this is a mix of a legal/tax question,

I've started a web development business, and am located in Pittsburg California. I haven't obtained any licenses or registered the business officially yet because there are a few fees included with this that would be a big hit right away. I'm literally starting this whole thing as barebones as possible, and in order to get more business I am looking to hire non-aggressive telemarketers. They would work at home, on their own schedule and with their own equipment, I only provide them with a script and we negotiate a commission. Firstly I want to clarify that that makes them 1099 contractors. Secondly, I have a website, when they call potential clients can they refer to us by the website name, or how does that work? To clarify, I don't have a fictitious name yet, so is it legal to say "hey this is joe from xyz.com" or even more simply "hey this is joe from xyz"? If that is not legal, what is the alternative if any? My goal is to boost the money I have through telemarketing so I can rush and get the necessary licenses, the fictitious name and the EIN asap but I don't want to be doing anything immoral or illegal here at all.

vangogh
02-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the forum ng89. I'm not a legal or tax expert, but I think everything you describe would be you hiring contractors and I don't there would be legal issues in saying it's joe from xyz assuming it is joe talking and he's working for you at xyz.

However, I think what you're looking to do isn't going to result in any kind of success. You really don't generate web development business by hiring telemarketers and cold calling people. It's a quick way for you to throw away your money. Hiring someone to build a website isn't an impulse buy you make on the phone. Most people aren't looking to have a website built for them. Most people with a website aren't looking to redo it. Developing a website is going to cost you a good amount of time and if you're going to be in business for yourself you're going to need to charge more than what anyone would agree to over the phone.

I certainly can't stop you from trying this approach, but I'd strongly advise finding another way to build your business.