PDA

View Full Version : Question about using a facebook account login to sign up on another social site

Russ in Vancouver
02-16-2014, 03:06 AM
is it safe to do so?

It gave me a warning that my contacts info would be something,,,,, and something else as well. Not sure if its a good idea to do this anymore or not.

Comments?

Harold Mansfield
02-16-2014, 10:21 AM
I don''t log in with Facebook anymore. Yes, Facebook log ins, apps and games all have access to what ever information is in your account including list of friends, your wall, photos and the can technically post an updated status on your behalf.

Now, most times those updates are limited to you posting about the game or app, but there are instances of some apps posting promotional material without the user doing anything.
Facebook is a big marketing mill. Being marketed to is nothing new. Marketers have been accumulating information about our online habits for years.

In my opinion, the easiest way to ward off any unwanted access of personal information, is to limit the information that you put in your Social Media profiles. You don't have to put it all online.

Wozcreative
02-16-2014, 12:09 PM
The benefit of using Facebook is that you don't constantly need to create new profiles whenever you signup for something.

Brian Altenhofel
02-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Facebook log ins, apps and games all have access to what ever information is in your account including list of friends, your wall, photos and the can technically post an updated status on your behalf.

Only if you give explicit permission. Apps must define the permissions that they want. Responsible developers only require the minimum amount of permissions necessary. If an app changes it's permissions requirements, users are required to reauthorize that app.

All a log-in solution needs is access to your Facebook account's email address. Typically, they'll also ask for your name and maybe some other information (location, d.o.b., gender, profile photo, etc.) to autopopulate your profile on the non-Facebook site, but usually those are optional. Very rarely should a log-in app request permissions to write to your Facebook account.

Harold Mansfield
02-17-2014, 12:59 PM
http://whiskeyandbacon.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/friend-optimizer-permissions.png

This is a common opt in screen. Notice how there are no options to pick and choose which information they can access or functions they can perform. It's all or nothing.

Brian Altenhofel
02-17-2014, 06:24 PM
http://whiskeyandbacon.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/friend-optimizer-permissions.png

This is a common opt in screen. Notice how there are no options to pick and choose which information they can access or functions they can perform. It's all or nothing.

That's because that application has said those are required. It's still up to the user to decide whether or not they want to allow that access.

If those permissions are excessive for the features of the application, then the developer was irresponsible.

If the permissions of the app change at a later date, Facebook will prompt re-authorization. That's one reason some irresponsible developers just go through and check all of the boxes initially whether or not their application truly requires them.

Russ in Vancouver
02-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Hey all thanks for the info. My worry was about disclosing contacts to these 3rd party apps would be providing email spam lists to the developer/owner who may not be a lawful abiding netizen.