PDA

View Full Version : FTP Program

billbenson
02-13-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm on Linux and use Filezilla which I like. However, unless I just don't know how to do it, I can't edit files directly server side. If anybody knows how to do this with Filezilla or has a recommendation of another program that will work with Linux I'd appreciate it.

GarethS
02-13-2014, 08:00 AM
I'm on windows and use Filezilla. I just tried changing a css file and was able to edit it on the web server. I just right clicked view/edit, clicked save and was asked if I wanted to upload the changes made. Once I had done that the changes were on the web server's css file, it did ask if I wanted to view the offline copy when view it the next time, this was because I didn't delete the offline copy when saving.

I would assume that the same option would be on the Linux version but might be wrong.

cbscreative
02-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Filezilla is very temperamental about doing this and does a poor job of knowing which app to use for editing or even accessing it. I've never dug into solving this issue because if you can access the File Manager through your hosting CP you can edit directly that way.

vangogh
02-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Bill if you break the site, I'm coming after you. :)

I think that's how FTP programs work in general. They aren't editors. If you want to do live editing you should look for a code editor that has FTP built in. I don't know editors for Linux, but I do know that Sublime Text 2 (http://www.sublimetext.com/2) works on Linux. It's the cool code editor on the block. It doesn't come with FTP built in, but there are extensions you can add so it has FTP. There's a learning curve to the program and the FTP extension I remember cost about $12 if I'm remembering correctly.

Another option is Bluefish (http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html), which I think has FTP and is free. It's probably easier to set up and uses as well.

Brian Altenhofel
02-13-2014, 05:01 PM
In Filezilla on Linux, you can right-click the file and there should be an edit option. It will open the file in your default GUI editor (typically Geany on Debian-based distributions).

I'm not much of a GUI guy, though... On the rare occasion that I need to deal with a file over FTP (and that's maybe once every couple of years), I just open it in Vim. Much easier for me that way since I get all the features of my favorite IDE without the unnecessary keystrokes and/or clicks.

CD2 Solutions
02-24-2014, 06:54 AM
I'm on Linux and use Filezilla which I like. However, unless I just don't know how to do it, I can't edit files directly server side. If anybody knows how to do this with Filezilla or has a recommendation of another program that will work with Linux I'd appreciate it.

buried within the options, there is a setting to specify the editor.

go to edit > settings > file editing > and select use system default editor, filezilla will sue the program associated with that file on the system.

there is also a section for providing custom file associations.

now you just need to right click the file to edit, and click view/edit.
i did this in windows, but i believe it should work similarly.

Harold Mansfield
02-24-2014, 02:05 PM
I use Fire FTP ( a Firefox extension) and edit files with it all of the time. I've also used Filezilla to do the same. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem. After you set it once to perform the open or edit function with whatever your file editor is ( I use Notepad or Notepad++) then that's what it does.

The only time I've ever seen a problem is if you don't have the proper file permissions set. Then it won't let you do anything.

Sean_DeSilva
02-27-2014, 09:40 AM
I use a free program called to winSCP. I prefer to Firefox and it does have an option for editing files and then immediately pushing changes back to the server.

billbenson
02-27-2014, 05:40 PM
I just noticed you can do it through cpanel as well

vangogh
02-28-2014, 12:32 AM
Yes, but it's not the smoothest way. I much prefer using an editor. I don't like editing inside a window that inside a browser. Just seems clunky to me.