PDA

View Full Version : Stimulus Plan?

Steve B
02-19-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm ready to try another direct mail campaign (I'm a glutten for punishment since several other attempts have failed or barely broken even).

Based on some advice from Paul on a previous thread - I'm going to try again with a "teaser" on the outside of the envelope. I was thinking of some kind of a play on the stimulus package ... like "stimulus check inside", or "see inside for your stimulus package" - then have some kind of cute thing inside that would qualify (I can't think of what it would be right now). I don't want to make anyone mad by trying to fool them - but, I thought it would be good timing if I could come up with something cute that played on this topic.

Or, I'm open to any other suggestions for a teaser to put on the envelope that would be appropriate for my business.

vangogh
02-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Interesting idea, though I'd be careful about saying something like "stimulus check inside" I don't think people would look too kindly on you if they didn't find a check. There's a fine line between a tease and a lie. I think you can play on the stimulus package idea, but you still need to deliver on your promise outside with what's inside the envelope.

I'm not sure what the right way to say it is, but I think maybe a connection with the word stimulus to the idea that your dogs will get more stimulation by being free to run around the yard. That seems to me to be the logical connection to make the whole thing work.

billbenson
02-19-2009, 09:56 PM
How about "dog stimulus plan inside???

No idea if that makes sense or not. Way out of my area of expertise.

Spider
02-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Here's an idea for you, Steve--

I don't think President Obama has picked a White House dog yet. On the basis that dog lovers generally would be at least mildly interested in what the Obama family chooses, you could work a campaign around that. Get all geared up ready for the decision so you can just plug in the information and be first off the block with it.

If the envelope Teaser says: "Info on President Obama's new White House dog...." most dogowners would open it, I think. And as you are only interested in dog owners reading your material, you get the attention of the prospects you want and not the prospects you don't want. Very focussed.

Inside would be a news report, picture, etc. of the Obama family and their new dog. Along with your fencing information and promotional material.

What do you think of that?

vangogh
02-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't know what Steve thinks of the idea, but I like it. I think the tie in to Obama's dog is something people in general and dog lovers in particular would be interested in. By giving some news, pics, etc you fulfill the promise on the outside of the envelope and get some of your own marketing materials into the mix.

Not sure if this exists, but it would be very cool if the White House was using some kind of underground fencing system.

I think the tie in to the future first puppy would work well.

Blessed
02-19-2009, 11:57 PM
I like Frederic's idea too... even though I personally could care less what kind of dog the Obama's finally pick :) I have to admit I have wasted a few minutes here and there looking at the "what kind of dog should the Obama's get" kind of articles online! I'm sure I'd open your envelope before I threw it away.

Steve B
02-20-2009, 03:04 AM
I like the idea too.

I'll still need another teaser since we don't know how long it will take them to make that decision. That might be a good second mailing.

billbenson
02-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm a dog lover, but I could care less what dog obama chooses. That makes me a poll of 1 :)

vangogh
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
What about something like a question

Which is easier? Stimulating the economy or stimulating your dog?

Blessed
02-20-2009, 01:50 PM
what about "Another Stimulus... see inside for details" or something along those lines.

Aack... I've got to start thinking about teasers again - my once a year project that requires me to think of them is coming up! Thanks for getting my brain kick started!

jem
02-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Steve,

I'll share an idea I am actually thinking about using - and how it might work for you.

Buy a box of the small dog biscuits - the brand we have at home are "Milk Bones" the small size. They are PERFECT - lumpy enough but not too heavy. You could put a stimulus teaser on the front and tie in inside in the letter (some kind of stimulus plan for dogs?).

I believe lumpy mail open rate is way higher than regular mail (may be wrong but it's what I've repeatedly heard)

Anyway just a thought!

Simon

Steve B
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
That's not a bad idea about the lumpy mail.

I guess because the dog may be eating what I send them I'd be paranoid of getting sued for poisening their dog.

Aaron Hats
02-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Personally, I think the whole "stimulus" angle has already been overdone. That's just me though. ;)

IT-GUY
02-21-2009, 11:09 PM
I agree with Aaron. I get tired of hearing about government bail outs and the likes. I would be really ticked off to get "junk mail" with anything like that on it. :mad:

I hate that stuff that comes "RSVP you've won..." whatever... And I know darn will I did NOT win anything. :mad: I think we need to be very careful what we send out. Just be honest. People appreciate that.:)

IMHO, RSVP has been used this way so much that by now when you send out a real RSVP for a party, people ignore it. And they don't let you know (head count, for catering purposes). Happened to us when we had a big birthday bash a few years back.

My 2 cents worth.

huggytree
02-22-2009, 08:18 PM
i recommend against using the word 'stimulus' anywhere on your advertising.

i stay away from anything political...the word stimulus is a political word right now.

48% of the people didnt vote for our president

I am personally not at all neutral polically....but my company IS neutral

im sure 90% of your customers wouldnt think anything of it..but 10% may read something into it....either your making fun of it or your in support of it...i just wouldnt risk it

Remipub
02-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I've noticed the use of the word "stimulus" more and more with advertisers. I too thought about creating a mailer using that angle, but I may have waited too long (I had this idea quite a while ago) since the theme is being played out quite a bit now.

That being said, if you targeted a specific niche and said something like "finally a stimulus plan for dog owners" it could grab attention.

I love the dog biscuit idea - though I wouldn't try and tie it into the stimulus theme. But I hear you on your concern about poinsoning, etc. Unfortunately that's the world we live in - that we have to worry about such things.

As for the Obama's dog idea - (and I realize I may be in the minority here), but as soon as I saw the word "Obama" I'd toss it without a second look.

vangogh
02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
finally a stimulus plan for dog owners

I like that. It plays on the stimulus angle, without making promises that can't be backed up.

Just H
02-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm not convinced using "stimulus plan" or some variation is either good or bad. Bush used it last year w/ our $600 refund and now Obama is using it so it's not really tied to what party you voted for. I'm seeing it on commercials for various things but hard to know if that's working. Maybe you could do some promotion that matches the refund this year - what is it this year? $300 or 400 (I'm not sure)? So can you offer $300 or 400 off on a full package? I don't know what that imply for the cost of your service but maybe something to show they'll get more off by applying their stimulus refund to your product.

vangogh
02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I think the $300 or $400 might be too much of a discount for Steve, but the idea could work to offer some kind of rebate on any fence install and call it part of the Derby's stimulus package.

Some people are probably tired of the word, but for many more the word would likely generate some interest. No marketing idea will appeal to everyone. It's not meant to. It's meant to make something stand out to a certain group of people.

Harold Mansfield
03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
I still think that you should prepare a mailing for when the Presidential Dog is picked, and have it waiting to go out as soon as the news breaks.
The only thing you should have to add is a bio of the dog with a picture and send it off.

I did that when the government announced vouchers for DTV, but hadn't worked out the details yet......had the post ready, just needed to change the headline, add a link or two and a few points and I got the drop on everyone for a day or so, even the major news sites.

Upcoming news can be your best friend sometimes. In internet marketing, they call it the Oprah effect.....looking ahead in the T.V. listings to capitalize on an upcoming story about a new product.

vangogh
03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Good idea to be prepared for it too. As soon as they choose a dog the news will be everywhere. If you can be first you can be the one others cite as a source. But you have to be ready to go with your story as soon as the news breaks.

Steve B
03-05-2009, 03:58 AM
I think HT gave good advice. I'm going to stay away from anything that even hints of politics. I do so in my personal life, so I like the idea of doing so in business as well. There are plenty of other things to grab people's attention.