PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Indiana

IT-GUY
02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Greetings to all,

I just came from the (.com) version of this website. Not much going on and they mentioned this one. So I dediced to come join an see what's happening. I used to lurk the other site, and enjoyed the conversations. I actually posted a couple of times under the UserName OldTechie.

I am retired from a large telcom company and have worked with computers a lot for friends and family for the last 10 years. I finally started back to a community college and am taking courses to obtain my A+ certification.

I have no desire to ever work for a large corporation again. I have hopes of starting a small Computer business, mainly aimed at helping seniors etc. I have seen that some have a lot of difficulty with their PCs.

My background is strong on technology, but weak in the business area. I am good at managing money, but don't know jack about actually running a business.

I do not need to make tons of money, but would like to help people and at least come out clearing around $10.00 per hour after expenses and taxes. I think that is very reasonable, even in this economy.

vangogh
02-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Welcome to the forum IT-GUY. I think I remember you posting as OldTechie, but it's only a vague recollection. I think you'll find most of us feel the same way about working in the corporate world. I know I could never go back to it.

I think you'll be able to do better than clearing $10/hr too. It's hard to realize at first, but you can often do better charging more than you can charging less. Think of selling based on value instead of price.

I know we'll be happy to help you with anything we can and I also know you'll be helping us right back.

Thanks for joining the community.

rezzy
02-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Welcome IT-Guy.

Score one more for the .net version!

IT-GUY
02-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks vangogh for the kind reception. And rezzy, I hate to say it, but visiting the other forum was like going to a party and suddenly realizing you are at the wrong address.. LOL

vangogh
02-19-2009, 12:24 AM
It used to be a good place until the new owners dropped the ball and we all moved here. Every so often I visit the old place and look around. It's just sad there now. Very few new posts and most of those are pure spam. What I don't understand is why the spam stays around so long. Actually I do understand. The owners there don't care.

The good news is we do.

Steve B
02-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Welcome IT-GUY. We'll share everything we can to help you turn your business idea into a success.

kml9870
02-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Hi IT-GUY...it sounds like we have some common background in computers, I'm sure you will do well!

cbscreative
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
I already posted in your other thread, but let me say welcome here. It's great you found us from the place that used to be great but no longer is for reasons vangogh pointed out. I second vangogh's advice to keep your prices in line with going rates because you will do better that way. As you probably have already gathered, this is a great resource to help you learn the business side of things.

KristineS
02-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi IT-Guy. It's always nice to see another refugee from the old forum.

I'm glad you found us. We have a lot of good people here and we can certainly help and support you as you start your new business venture.

Business Attorney
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Hi IT-Guy, from one refugee to another. This is definitely the place to be!

Paul Elliott
02-19-2009, 06:27 PM
I have no desire to ever work for a large corporation again. I have hopes of starting a small Computer business, mainly aimed at helping seniors etc. I have seen that some have a lot of difficulty with their PCs.

My background is strong on technology, but weak in the business area. I am good at managing money, but don't know jack about actually running a business.

I do not need to make tons of money, but would like to help people and at least come out clearing around $10.00 per hour after expenses and taxes. I think that is very reasonable, even in this economy.

Welcome, IT-GUY!

By all means, make a written Business Plan that contains a good Marketing Plan within it.

I suggest you should plan to make tons of money! Money is like data, if you ever get too much, you can always throw some away!

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting a greedy approach to life. I'm suggesting massive success.

From the standpoint of customer perception, you never want to be the least expensive and likely not the most expensive in your market area ... just the best value.

When you preempt that market position, your customers will become your best sales and referral sources. (See my Word-of-Mouth 7 below.)

When you are very well off economically, you can modify your prices or give your services away to those who truly need it.

Hope you have a very rewarding experience here on the SBF.

Paul

Blessed
02-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Welcome to this forum IT Guy! It's good to have you around.

Just H
02-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Welcome IT Guy! Good luck with your new biz. As long as you're going back for some computer education, why not throw in a business class here and there to help you feel more comfortable in that area? I feel the same way about the corporations and think targeting to help the seniors is a great idea!

IT-GUY
02-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Welcome IT-GUY. We'll share everything we can to help you turn your business idea into a success.

What a cute (and appropriate) avatar you have there, Steve. :)
We had a dog for 13.5 years. Just like a member of the family. The poor old guy had liver disease, and had to be put down in 2008. Very sad day..:(

IT-GUY
02-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Welcome IT Guy! Good luck with your new biz. As long as you're going back for some computer education, why not throw in a business class here and there to help you feel more comfortable in that area? I feel the same way about the corporations and think targeting to help the seniors is a great idea!

You know, I had just recently told my wife the same thing. Perhaps I should look for a small business course. I don't need to study business administration. (I don't think I do. I do not need a degree in it.) But I'm sure there is something available that would do me a great deal of good.

I think I will consult with some of the staff at IVY TECH and let them know my goals. They probably will have some good suggestions. I just don't want to be sold more courses than I need, and become a perpetual student.:(

Thanks for your suggestion.