PDA

View Full Version : Blog Giveaways

KristineS
02-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Let me say right up front that I'm not fond of this tactic to increase traffic on blogs. I've seen a lot of people use it and tout it as a sure fire way to raise traffic and comments and it generally does, for the one day or week or whatever that you have the contest or giveaway. After that, most of the people who stopped by to try and win something never come back again.

You could make the case that you will snag some of those people who stop by to try and win if your content is good enough and your blog is interesting. I just maintain that the jump in traffic you get from having a giveaway is mostly artificial and you won't hold on to most of those people when you're just writing your every day stuff.

What do you guys think about blog giveaways? Do you think they're a good strategy? Would you do a giveaway on your blog?

Also, if you do giveaways on a regular basis, what has been your experience?

nealrm
02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I think they fall into the same category as coupons, sales, and one time only offers that brick and mortar store offer. It gets people to the site (store) and you hope some of them will return. Yes the spike is artificial, short term and many will not return. But some will return. You just hope that the number returning is worth more to you than the prize you gave away.

rezzy
02-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Contents are intended to be that boost. I ran a contest a few months ago, as a method to boost hits to my blog. As it progressed I learned my prize was not quite as valuable I thought would be. But its important to make sure, your contest is targeted and the prize is something they want.

Otherwise its like selling salt to slug(snail) or water to whale.

vangogh
02-18-2009, 06:14 PM
I think the success goes beyond the contest itself. If you have a good blog and attract people through a contest that would be interested in your content then a contest can work well. I've seen a few blogs grow initially through contests. On the other hand if your content is that great then people might show up for the contest and then leave once it's over.

The contest itself is just a strategy to gain attention. It's like Neal said. The contest pulls someone in once. Whether or not people stay or leave after the contest depends on what they find when they get there.

Think about what has to happen for someone to subscribe to your blog. Someone has to first find your blog, find something in your blog they like enough to want to come back again, and click the subscribe button. A contest done well can help with the first part and I guess the third part too, but it can't do anything about the second part. You still have to have the content that makes people want to come back again and again.

KristineS
02-19-2009, 12:37 PM
I think that's what gives me the most problem with giveaways, people concentrate on what they're giving away, and not on creating a great blog and great content. Drawing people to your blog because you're constantly giving away prizes isn't the same as drawing people because you have content and information they want.

What scares me is that some people seem to rely on gimmicks and giveaways instead of doing the work. There are a lot of fledgling bloggers out there who may be thinking that giving stuff away is their ticket to success.

vangogh
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
That's true. The thing with giveaways and contests is to remember they're only part of your strategy and not the whole thing. Done right I think they can be a good way to draw people to your blog or site, but that's still only one piece of the puzzle.

greenoak
02-22-2009, 08:31 AM
i dont quite get it, arent they already on the blog? ....did they have to be on your blog to hear about the giveaway? if so , hasnt the blog already spoken for itself and the viewer probably already knows if its interesting to him... also what kind of thing can you giveaway that would be any better than whats already on your blog? i never do contests or coupons tho...so im not a very likely target....
i have some freebies on my blog...like the graphics fairy...and might add some more fun freebies ...im hoping for interesting pictures, good content and organic growth......
ann

vangogh
02-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Ann some people will run a contest where part of the rules of the contest are subscribing to the blog. Then they'll promote the contest in a lot of other places. Assuming the prizes are enough people will visit their blog and subscribe for a chance to win. If done well it can bring people to your blog and increase your subscribers. The trick is keeping them there after the contest.

greenoak
02-22-2009, 05:33 PM
do you ever sign up for that kind of stuff? ann

vangogh
02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Depends. In general no, but I think once all I had to do to be part of a contest was subscribe so I did and the blog turned out to be a good one so I stayed after the contest. It was the kind of blog I would have read had I known about it and the contest got me to know about it.

In a way it's not that different from running a big sale. You get people in the store for the sale item and hope they buy other things as well or like your stuff enough to come back when there isn't a sale.

Harold Mansfield
03-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Funny that I just saw this thread. Just yesterday, I gave away 10 free downloads of a new track that came out that I had written a short review on, and posted the new video.

I didn't give them away on my blog...I gave them out to my Twitter followers. It was over and done with in about 20 minutes..(.may have been quicker if I hadn't done it on a Fri night).

I do have a few promo copies of some new releases coming that I will probably do the same thing with.

Will it help ? I don't know but I don't see anyone else doing it and it's kind of fun.

I think on the next one, I'm going to announce it, bookmark it," Facebook" It, and "My Space" it, that I will be giving out copies of a particular album on Twitter at a certain time and see what kind of response I get.

vangogh
03-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Let us know if it leads to more subscribers. It'll be interesting to see what response you get.

KristineS
03-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Definitely do let us know what the results are. I've seen people giving away things on Twitter, but I've never heard what the results are of doing that. I'd be interested to know.

Harold Mansfield
03-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Well....I have actually changed my outlook on getting twitter followers. Not looking for the big number anymore as much as i want to make sure that i am following everyone that has anything to do with, or is a fan of dance music, and I want them following me.

I actually just went through my friends and followers and cut out everyone that wasn't following me back (It's been 2 weeks) unless they were a big name in the industry. What that mostly did was lighten my load of all the marketing and SEO guru's.

So I'm not really looking for the big numbers, but I do want the "who's who" on my list...that is waaayyy more important.

It's more of a "thanks for following" , than it is a "see what you get if you follow me?".

greenoak
03-01-2009, 04:51 PM
that sounds so good and relevant to your thing...i wish i could find something that interesting and desireable for my blog readers......ann

Harold Mansfield
03-01-2009, 06:50 PM
that sounds so good and relevant to your thing...i wish i could find something that interesting and desireable for my blog readers......ann

Of course you can, and you will probably trip over it the same way I do...by mistake:D, but it's the journey that puts you in position to notice it when you do find those little things that you can apply to your marketing.

It's always one thing, that leads to another, that leads to another....and before you know it you got 3 or 4 solid things going on, that you would have never thought of before, had you not taken the steps and .tried a few things out...and threw a few things up on the wall to see what sticks, (or has the potential to stick if you just change the recipe a little).