PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Theft

Wozcreative
01-14-2014, 05:10 PM
So I was doing research for a current client of mine and came across a "designer" that had 7 of my portfolio pieces in his portfolio claiming its his.
I haven't contacted him yet as he lives in UAE. I decided to contact his hosting company and complain to get all this crap off the site ASAP, but I am having a difficult time finding who is the host.

All I was lead to was this page: WebsiteWelcome.com (http://websitewelcome.com), seems like a reseller. Does anyone have a quick way of finding out this person's hosting so I can contact them?

Thanks!

Freelancier
01-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Part of CyrusOne in Houston.

Reverse IP Lookup (http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#ipInformation|type=ipv4&&value=192.185.93.75)

Wozcreative
01-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Actually I found out by goggling a bit more and it turns out it's owned by hostgator. Thanks! I'm on my way to writing up a DCMA complaint.

David Hunter
01-14-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm more curious in... how in the world did you find someone who took your portfolio pieces in UAE?!! It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all... blah blah blah. :-)

Wozcreative
01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm more curious in... how in the world did you find someone who took your portfolio pieces in UAE?!! It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all... blah blah blah. :-)

I've done this twice. Once it was for a client.. I was doing research on competitors and looking at google images. Their competitor ended up stealing their product photographs they took themselves. They not only didn't change the name of the image but they also kept the WATERMARK LOGO ON IT! Dumb.

As for my work, I was also researching other forms of brochures and marketing material for a specific industry. I have a tendency to name my files properly for google search engines under industries. I ended up finding a brochure I previously designed for THAT industry. I went to the designer's website and found 6 more of my pieces that were stripped off my site and put onto his "portfolio website". The guy ended up using all the same file names I did.

Too lazy to create your own work? Well you must be too damn lazy to cover your tracks properly too.

David Hunter
01-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Dang! Well, most criminals are morons. That's why they're criminals!

Now I'm curious, how do you determine what to name your files? Do you use Google Analytics and search keywords and phrases, then name your files after the results?

Wozcreative
01-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Dang! Well, most criminals are morons. That's why they're criminals!

Now I'm curious, how do you determine what to name your files? Do you use Google Analytics and search keywords and phrases, then name your files after the results?

It just comes with experience, researching for the project and learning about the industry the client is in.

FlyPizzaGuy
02-01-2014, 02:45 AM
Find anything about a domain through Netcraft | Internet Research, Anti-Phishing and PCI Security Services (http://www.netcraft.net). Ip blocks. Name servers etc.