PDA

View Full Version : Worst Web Sites of 2008

KristineS
08-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Looking at good design is helpful, but so is looking at bad web design. It can certainly point out what not to do. I've found the site Web Pages that Suck to be quite interesting. It has provided me with a checklist of things I don't want to do when building a site.

The 2008 List of Top Suckers (http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/) is now on their site. I'd be interested to hear what people think about it.

cbscreative
08-10-2008, 02:04 PM
It's been a while since I've been to that site, but I always loved doing so. I will again when I get a chance, so thank you for posting that.

vangogh
08-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Been awhile since I'd been there too. I just went through the top 10 contenders for worst site of 2008. A few of them I didn't think were so bad to be on the list. They weren't good, but they're better than others I've seen.

A few are among the most hideous looking and least useful sites I've ever seen.

Web pages that suck has to be one of the best sites every created.

KristineS
08-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I always thought this site was kind of fun, plus it did bring some web design faux pas to my attention. Sometimes you can learn more by looking at how to do something wrong than you can by looking at how to do something right.

cbscreative
08-10-2008, 03:06 PM
I think you just stated the premise of the guy who created the site. I recall him saying pretty much just that somewhere.

vangogh
08-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Yep, that was his reason for starting the site. The hope that by pointing out the worst in design we'd all learn to design better sites.

yankeerudy
08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Is it just me, or does anybody else have that little worry in the back of their heads that you'll see your own site listed there?

KristineS
08-13-2008, 12:08 PM
I've never particularly worried about that, but I suppose anything is possible.

vangogh
08-13-2008, 01:54 PM
I was pretty sure I wouldn't find my site on the list, but it did cross my mind and put a little worry in there while I was looking at the nominations.

degadar
08-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Oh wow!

Brill Publications - Online Readers & Writers Community - Share Your Story With The World! (http://www.brillpublications.com/)

that's my favourite - not because it's particularly the worst - just because of how much work has gone into making it so bad. I've enjoyed every minute and still don't know what's going on.

vangogh
08-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Funny. They don't even use Flash right. When you click on a link you shouldn't need a new Flash file to load. If you're going to use Flash take advantage of what Flash can do and don't treat it as moving from one page that takes a long time to load to another page that takes a long time to load.

My favorite is Haven Works (http://www.havenworks.com/). Warning: If you're susceptible to seizures you may want to avoid this site. It will bring you back to a different version of the web, circa 1997-8. It's hard to believe anyway still puts up a site like this, but apparently soneone does.

cbscreative
08-13-2008, 04:48 PM
If you don't see me around here for a few days, it's because I am busy reading the Haven Works site. I figure I can get through the Home page in that amount of time. On second thought, maybe a couple of weeks because in just a matter of seconds, I can already feel the eye strain. WOW!

vangogh
08-13-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm afraid if you spend more than a few minutes on that site we may never see you again. You could get sucked right through your computer monitor and never be heard from again.

Can you believe sites like that still exist?

cbscreative
08-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I remember when I was in the sign biz. I subscribed to a trade publication, and one of the highlights they ran every year was the Ugly Sign Contest where they invited everyone to send in their pictures of ugly signs. It's amazing (and hilarious) what some people will put up to promote business.

vangogh
08-13-2008, 06:36 PM
You have to ask yourself sometimes what someone was thinking and how they could even think someone else would like what they did with their site (or sign).

billbenson
08-14-2008, 12:30 AM
oof!! I just looked at that. I wonder what their stats look like? 100k uniques per day; average time on site 17 picoseconds.

vangogh
08-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Think people even stay that long? Did anyone stay long enough to notice the horizontal scrolling required because of what I want to say is part of the header. I'm not really sure where the header begins and ends, but it's that red and yellow section.

How could someone not know that presents a problem? Is it possible that anyone could really think they did something good with that site.

Right now they're getting a flood of traffic from the Web Pages that Suck site and thinking how great it is that people are visiting.

lav
08-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Is it possible that anyone could really think they did something good with that site.Ahh you guy's are behind the times this type of website is the new trend (cutting edge). People are going crazy over it, they love it.

vangogh
08-23-2008, 01:11 PM
I guess I missed the new trend.