PDA

View Full Version : What are the most unique forms of marketing you've seen?

LeadMaster
01-10-2014, 08:57 PM
I recently came across a video showcasing lights that seem to be placed on the spokes of a bike tire and as the cyclist rides the lights turn on and can even display images. It's very cool and I can definitely see commercial companies using this as a form of advertising.

vangogh
01-11-2014, 11:12 AM
That is pretty interesting. Definitely something that would grab and hold your attention long enough to read a company name.

I'm not sure these are exactly what you're looking for. In both cases the form is video so not exactly unique. Each is rather creative in how the product itself is promoted though.

I think the will it blend videos for Blendtec blenders are a creative way to gain attention for their product. Most people would think blender and say there's nothing you can say about a blender to make people watch and share videos. Blendtec takes a creative approach that's less about the blender and more about what you put in the blender and the videos are watched and watched and watched. And they do show how strong the blender is.

Here's another. It's more advertising than marketing and again not necessarily a unique form. Still a creative ad that talks about a product most people wouldn't want to talk about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLnhuzh9uY

billbenson
01-11-2014, 12:44 PM
That video is hysterical Steve

Wozcreative
01-11-2014, 03:07 PM
There was also a male version of the poo pouri commercial called "Crap Trap".

Old Spice created a new commercial line for marketing their product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M-sAPobpfY

billbenson
01-11-2014, 05:31 PM
That's great as well Woz.

Zman
01-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Comedy sure gets your video passed around but not sure it gets the product name to stick in the minds of the consumer all the time. All the same... still funny videos.

tallen
01-13-2014, 05:20 AM
Here's an interesting "informercial" done by time-lapse drawing on a dry-erase white board, a the technique that I find particularly interesting (and effective): The American Parasite - 250 Million Americans Infected - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9-aleeQ2ho)

It takes a long time to get to the point, but it is ultimately an ad for a product. As with many ads (especially for products in the diet supplement category), there are some questions about some of the claims, e.g. https://www.truthinadvertising.org/250m-americans-infected-american-parasite/

David Hunter
01-14-2014, 07:00 PM
I love 3D mail. I sent out miniature trash cans in the mail for expired listings. Who's not going to open up a trash can they get in the mail?!

vangogh
01-16-2014, 01:03 AM
There was also a male version of the poo pouri commercial called "Crap Trap"

I haven't seen the male version. I'll have to look for it. Someone in my feed reader posted a link to the one I posted and I thought it was hysterical and also a good commercial. I've been seeing that Old Spice commercial a lit. They do some very "interesting" commercials. I do remember the commercials and I do remember the product so I guess they work. They didn't get me to switch deodorants, but I don't have any compelling reason to switch.

VeritasCustom
01-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Gorilla marketing is always a great way to go!

WhiteRhinoMedia
01-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Most of these brandvertising things we find unique today, are forgotten tomorrow.

Old Spice has had slew of funny and unique ads... yet sales have not increased. At the
end of the day one will not remember a message on tire spokes from a bike blowing by
at 20 mph. Unique, yes. Effective, not likely.

In the era of social media (more so because of YouTube) we think we must entertain to
stand out. To inspire a true interest in the product/service is not so glamorous.

Sean_DeSilva
01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Most of these brandvertising things we find unique today, are forgotten tomorrow.

Old Spice has had slew of funny and unique ads... yet sales have not increased. At the
end of the day one will not remember a message on tire spokes from a bike blowing by
at 20 mph. Unique, yes. Effective, not likely.

In the era of social media (more so because of YouTube) we think we must entertain to
stand out. To inspire a true interest in the product/service is not so glamorous.

Excellent point. Although uniqueness helps with brand stickiness, it alone will not compel a person to walk into a store, pick an item off the shelf and ignore the competition, and then walk to the checkout and exchange hard-earned dollars for it.

For that you need to show unique value, preempt their fears with your explanations, help them weigh the perceived risks from deviating from their status quo solution--into testing out your one for the chance at seeing the possible benefits they could gain. In other words, it needs to sell.

Robert Stafford
01-31-2014, 07:54 PM
I've seen 3D billboards. I don't know if these are common, but the one I saw was definitely interesting. It was for home improvement and the advertisement featured a multitude of different objects related to the niche.

vangogh
02-07-2014, 02:42 PM

True, but they don't have to be remembered forever. They do their job now and tomorrow the company comes up with another unique way to do their marketing. The uniqueness is a way to get attention, which is only one part of the equation. What gains attention today may not tomorrow. If all of your competitors packaging is blue then designing your's to be red will make it stand out. If the competition follows and switches to red, you might want to switch to blue.

I've seen 3D billboards.

I've never seen one that I can remember, though I don't live in an area with a lot of billboards so I can't recall seeing billboards of any kind recently.

LeadMaster
02-07-2014, 03:13 PM
There is a push for connecting with the audience on a much more intimate level which is displayed in Budweiser's "I'm Up for It" commercials, featuring selected people who are taken through a series of exciting events. I tend to skip ads immediately on YT but I watched this whole ad without even realizing I was waiting to watch something else. Props given.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKKVQLDYYcw