PDA

View Full Version : Must Be Some Really Good Tea

vangogh
01-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Look at what you have to go through to get it.

I don't know how you earn the title of World's Scariest Trail (http://www.viralnova.com/dangerous-trail-huashan/), but it's easy to imagine this trail winning. I don't think any tea would be good enough to get me to follow this trail to the end. I assume it's less about the tea and more about the journey.

Would you go?

Wozcreative
01-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Heck yea I'd do it! Only for the experience, the tea is like a "reward".
Every year I have a goal to do something I've never done before.. something daring.
This is awesome, definitely would look into doing this.

vangogh
01-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Yeah, obviously it's for the journey itself and not really about the tea. I started scrolling the page and saw the images of the stairs and I was thinking, "no problem, I'd do this." Then I saw the plank part of the trail and I was thinking, "umm…that's scary looking." I'd someone I knew was going and asked me to go as well, I want to say I would, but I'm not sure. I don't always do well with heights and those planks don't look all that wide. They don't look all that solid in some places.

The real question though, is who built the plank trail in the first place. Seems like it was done long before there was modern safety equipment for climbers. I assume the monastery has been there a long time.

Brian Altenhofel
01-10-2014, 05:30 PM
I'd do it.

I have a half-fear of heights. I get shaky a few feet off the ground, but I don't mind once I'm high enough for the fall to really hurt, and especially calm once it's high enough to likely be fatal.

cbscreative
01-11-2014, 01:34 PM
What's funny to me is there's no mention of how you get back down. Having two way traffic on those planks could be even more thrilling.

Wozcreative
01-11-2014, 02:52 PM
What's funny to me is there's no mention of how you get back down. Having two way traffic on those planks could be even more thrilling.

Down? Who said anything about getting back down? You're going to be stuck there picking tea leaves for the next sucker. LOL. Anyway this is super cool.

vangogh
01-14-2014, 02:30 AM
It would be funny the if the way down was an elevator on the other side of the mountain. I still want to know who built that plank trail in the first place? How exactly did they get up the mountain?

@Brian - that's an interesting half fear. So a couple steps up a ladder and you'r close to a panic attack, but hang you off the side of a mountain and you're relaxed.

Brian Altenhofel
01-14-2014, 02:47 AM
@Brian - that's an interesting half fear. So a couple steps up a ladder and you'r close to a panic attack, but hang you off the side of a mountain and you're relaxed.

I think it's either a coping mechanism or a subconscious recognition of increased situational awareness once I get to a certain height.

Freelancier
01-14-2014, 07:19 AM
I still want to know who built that plank trail in the first place? How exactly did they get up the mountain?

One of my friends is responsible for placing cameras in high places for the Olympics (e.g., the whitewater-based sports usually require bolting the camera to the side of a canyon wall). He's an expert climber, to say the least.

vangogh
01-14-2014, 03:35 PM
I think it's either a coping mechanism or a subconscious recognition of increased situational awareness once I get to a certain height.

Makes sense. Maybe at extreme heights you're so scared you scare yourself straight.

He's an expert climber, to say the least.

He'd have to be. I do live right up against the mountains and see lots of people climbing. It's an interesting site seeing people hanging off the side of a mountain. I'm definitely impressed even if I'm more hiker than climber.

Harold Mansfield
01-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Not me. Don't like death defying thrills. Don't like heights, flying, cable cars, zip lines, ridiculously high bridges, tall buildings with observation decks or glass floors.

I do like roller coasters though. Go figure.

vangogh
01-16-2014, 12:40 AM
I'm trying to figure out why you like roller coasters.

Heights bother me in some places, but not others. Usually if it's something man-made I tend to be less trusting that I'll be ok. I'm fine on the side of a mountain, though quite as fine when on the edge of a cliff.

Here's another cool height thing. Remember Felix Baumgartner who jumped out of a small capsule in space and parachuted back to the ground last year? Here's his jump as seen from cameras he was wearing. When he jumped out of the capsule he was just shy of 128,000 feet. When he opened the parachute he was a little above 8,000 feet. 120,000 feet of free fall. Somewhere along the way he broke the speed of sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raiFrxbHxV0

Why do I think that plan trail to get tea is scarier?

Business Attorney
01-16-2014, 02:09 AM
NO WAY! I'm ok with regular heights but that is scary to even look at the pictures. I'll have my tea on nice level ground.

Brian Altenhofel
01-16-2014, 04:14 AM
In the bottom right, where it's highlighted in red, is the time he was above Mach 1 air speed.

At the beginning of the jump, it's interesting to hear the fluctuations in the air rushing over - like he went into a pocket that was significantly less dense for a short period of time. Probably about where the balloon stalled on the way up and then took off again.

Harold Mansfield
01-16-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm trying to figure out why you like roller coasters.

I worked at an amusement park during summers off while in college and just really started getting into them. It was a great time in coasters back then. They were doing more twisted steel structures, hanging cars, stand up roller coasters, going backwards. You might say it was the golden age in coaster design.

vangogh
01-16-2014, 02:34 PM
I'll have my tea on nice level ground.

I'm a coffee drinker anyway so there's less temptation.

In the bottom right, where it's highlighted in red, is the time he was above Mach 1 air speed.

I missed that. Not sure why. I did find the altitude reading. I noticed that about the air too. I happened to have my volume up to max when I first watched and couldn't help but hear the air current around him. I realize he was always inside the atmosphere, but when you see the image you don't expect to hear wind.

I worked at an amusement park during summers off while in college

That makes sense. I guess they have some good memories and you learned to trust them working around them. It's still a little strange given how you feel about heights, but it's understandable.

KristineS
01-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Oh, there's no way I'd do this. The stairs looked doable, but that path made from the boards, no way. I looks like two guys went out with whatever they could find and slapped it on the mountain. Not for me, no matter how good the tea is at the top.

vangogh
01-17-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not really about the tea. I'm thinking the tea is just the excuse. It definitely looks scary, but did anyone notice in the pictures there's a woman on the planks in a pair of sandals? Makes me think it's less treacherous than it looks.