PDA

View Full Version : SEO Beyond Google

yankeerudy
02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Almost all the web-press on SEO tactics covers general-type stuff, or tactics specific to ranking well in Google. What about the other guys?

One has to assume that there is some difference in the search algorithms for Yahoo, MSN, etc. as their search results constitute the differentiating factor for those businesses. But I don't want to debate that aspect, here's what I'm wondering...

What specifically can you do to improve your ranking in Yahoo or MSN?

vangogh
02-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi Rudy. Nice to see you again.

Yes there are differences between the search engines, but much of the usual stuff you read should work well for all. You see the focus on Google mostly because Google has so much market share and only seems to be growing.

A couple of years ago Aaron Wall wrote an article about some of the differences (http://www.seobook.com/relevancy/) between each. It's not a new article, but I think the basic concepts are still mostly true.

What generally seems to be the case is Google is in the lead and the other engines are where Google may have been a year or two ago and playing catch up.

Keep in mind that improving things in Yahoo or MSN could also mean losing traffic in Google. What MSN sees as good, Google may see as bad. For awhile people have considered MSN easier to spam than other engines. So maybe you do a few tricks to rank well in MSN, but at the cost of Google flagging you as a spammer. Odds are you'd prefer the Google traffic, but it depends on your site.

Unless you have a specific reason for wanting Yahoo or MSN traffic (converts better, your market specifically uses either or both, etc) I would sooner continue to stick to the basics that will work across all search engines. Research keywords, build a search friendly site, optimize your on-page copy, attract incoming links.

yankeerudy
02-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Yep, been "otherly focused" for quite a while now, glad to be breathing the clean air again.

Your post clarifies my premise: lots of guidance for SEO in general, with the caveat that it's mostly aimed at Google since Google is the big boy. But, as you said, what happens when you have a situation where your Yahoo or MSN traffic converts MUCH better than Google and you want to increase it? Or, what if you're on Google's 1st page for all your keywords yet nowhere near that for Yahoo or MSN?

vangogh
02-16-2009, 07:02 PM
There is info out there on SEO specifically for Yahoo and MSN. You just won't find as much as you will on Google because of the market share, but the info is out there. Like I said the basics should work across all engines.

Before trying to change things around specifically for Yahoo and MSN ask yourself if that's where you market really is. For example as a generality the more tech savvy your market the more likely they'll use Google. If your market is unsavvy then maybe a focus on Yahoo or MSN makes sense.

What's the disparity between each for the traffic you get now and what are some typical phrases the generate traffic?

billbenson
02-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Everything I have seen indicate that Y and MSN like spamier pages. That leads into what VG said, that could cost you on G. I can't remember the last post I saw on a webmaster forum where someone was trying to optimize for Y or MSN.