PDA

View Full Version : pep talks

greenoak
02-14-2009, 09:14 AM
i think i need to go back and read all pauls nice pep talks to me..... im spending time lolling around on the internet, having fun...in the zone, considering all kinds of little things ...many that would be neat but no big bucks....
and
i have a worker who could install a plan if i just got it together....and i have 2 or 3 plans that i have decided on but just havent done the details...plans we really need to do......
a press release for area papers...and some tourist companies
and
a girlfriends getaway presentation...for the website and maybe to some groups..
and
a good ad campaigne for spring...

in other words im here doing the fun easy stuff and ignoring the big hard stuff....and none of my family crew has any interest in the planning parts of these ideas...and the paid workers just want a good detail of what they should do...so neither group is much help on this....
ann

vangogh
02-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Just take each project and break it down into smaller chunks. That usually makes it much easier and more manageable to do the work and in time you'll look back and realize how much you've gotten done.

Breaking things down into smaller tasks makes it much more easy to tackle the whole.

Blessed
02-14-2009, 01:57 PM
I know what you mean Ann! But just think about long term - you'll be much happier with yourself if you go ahead and get some of those hard projects done!

seolman
02-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Sounds like you just need a couple days off to get refreshed. Get away from the web - get away from everything. Then you'll get fired up again.

greenoak
02-14-2009, 11:23 PM
right , im just swamped right now at the store...and the fun part of the web, blogs and forums are kind of my relaxation.... the store is the major thing always.......our big sale is coming up next weekend,just sent 4000 postcarsds out... a big buyer is coming in next week, and ive rented a wonderful new consignment space that will take 2 or 3 boxtrucks to fill up..right after the sale......

and i hate pr and ads...im so picky and so bad at it...
ann

vangogh
02-15-2009, 01:52 AM
Sounds like some good things may be coming next weekend. I'll definitely be keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well and then you can get back to more relaxing things.

nealrm
02-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Ann,
It sounds like you need a quick vacation. Turn off the computer, turn off the cell, get out and do something physical.

When you get back, remember you don't need to do everything at once. Follow Toyota's approach of incremental improvements. So instead of trying to get to the top of the mountain in one leap, look for handhold's that put you just a little bit higher than you are now. Soon you will be on top looking down on everyone trying to leap up.

KristineS
02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Ann,

Have you considered hiring someone to do some of this work? I know the economy is tight, but if you only need a few hours a month, which it sounds like you do, it shouldn't be all that expensive.

I did a post on the dollar value of time (http://afrugalhousewife.com/the-dollar-value-of-time/) recently, and the fact that people think they're saving money by doing things themselves, when actually they're wasting money. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate, and you time could be usefully spent in a lot of areas. If this particular one is something you don't enjoy, or it takes you a disproportionate of time to complete, then you might want to think about outsourcing it.

greenoak
02-17-2009, 05:05 PM
i do have a lot of help..about 7 full and part time and the carpenters... a big payroll really and im trying not to lay off anyone.....the trouble is , or the good thing...is the more help we get the more i figure the business can accomplish.... so i stay as busy or busier.....i dont do much of the actual work past figuring out what to do and laying it out for the workers....or taking a break and painting stuff in the back room.... ...i have about 4 people working for me everyday....
we made great progress today...almost ready for the big weekend....
.and had a great time yesterday ...got out of the store and bought a big load of furniture and cool smalls.....from a neat supplier with a big warehouse ...just getting out on the road felt really good...my favorite part ....
i still have jobs im not very good at but im going to get my part done and get rid of them and delegate them away after the sale...
my skills that grew the business at first arent what i have to do now....which is kind of crappy....at first i just bought and the buyers flocked to me and dh did the books and mechanical stuff..it was just the 2 of us....it was a different time then .....we sell more in a good month now than we used to sell in a year.....so its a big lot of details past the fun part.
..ann