PDA

View Full Version : facebook advice

huggytree
01-01-2014, 06:02 PM
after seeing a friends business listing on facebook ive decided to do more w/ mine

he has contests and gives stuff away...posts his recent jobs, etc

funny stuff seems to do well

how do you find more people you know for your facebook? (you have to pay don't you?) to get a linked in type way to try to get people to join your facebook page

I know a few people closely, but I know 100's in a mid level/business level...if I could send them some kind of invite like on linked in im sure I could have 100s of people instantly...right now I think I only have a few of my wives friends(she's doing my facebook for me)

im planning on doing some funny stuff and having a contest of my own...anything to get people to show their friends and grow my facebook network

im not into facebook at all.....but my wife pays with it all the time and gets updates from people she barely knows or hasn't seen in 30 years

can facebook be used to spread my business around? or am I just wasting my time and writing things for people who already know im a plumber?

Wozcreative
01-01-2014, 07:14 PM
can facebook be used to spread my business around? or am I just wasting my time and writing things for people who already know im a plumber?

Pretty much. You need new customers, find where those new ones are hanging out. I wouldn't like a Facebook page of a plumbing company unless I'm related to the construction industry.

If it's anything my boyfriend has to run from, is the "friends" that keep calling him to do plumbing favours. Whenever there is an issue, oh boy do they remember he's a plumber! (reasons he runs from it is because they take advantage of him, he hates doing residential and doesn't know how to do these things as a "business" and not a "favour".. always blows up in his face). Anyway point is.. those 100's that you know.. already know that you're a plumber. You probably need new clientele unless your in a line of business where you get a lot of repeat customers.. but I'm kind of assuming its once a year type of thing?

You mentioned a lot of your clientele are women/home owners and construction/contractor companies. Figure out how they look for a service. Mothers usually look at google, and contractors are usually referral based... they don't want to risk a random company.

Patrysha
01-01-2014, 11:51 PM
I disagree with Woz...but then my boyfriend is a locksmith and not a plumber. I think especially with the fact that you do upgrades and renos and not repair work that you could really do well with an informational plumbing page - working with local business owners like the home decor store and interior designers might be a step in the right direction in the residential/woman-y type market. Personally, since your wife is into it - I'd pay her to take the courses and/or deal with a social media consultant and you just give the assent on the plans she develops from that. Play to your strengths and allow her to play to hers. I would love to work with this with you if you're looking at hiring not local at all this time around.

huggytree
01-02-2014, 08:48 PM
uggghhhh another internet thing to spend money on???????????(just kidding)

thanks for the offer Patrysha (haven't seen you around in a long time)

I will pass on it for now.....its a hobby for the wife....she's posting something there every few days.....im sending her pics of my latest projects....hoping the few people there may pass some of the more interesting projects to their friends to look at. I figure you gotta start somewhere

Patrysha
01-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Yes you do have to start somewhere, and it is something that she'll have to keep on top of as far as changes in the way Facebook does things...but if she likes it, it can be done in-house with just a little training and direction. It's not something you need to spend money...spending money just reduces your learning curve and increases your reach quicker.

I've been popping in and out but haven't been very active lately. But it's a new year and I'm home full time again after killing my day job last month.

LeadMaster
01-03-2014, 02:13 AM
That's a good idea Patrysha - hand it over to his wife ! Hopefully she is open to marketing on FB rather than using it strictly for social matters. I've known folks that I assumed would be perfect for social media managers due to their obsession with it but turns out they're not interested in using it strategically.

KristineS
01-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Make sure you have a page and not a personal profile. Make sure you keep it about the business. You can talk about funny things that happen on the job, share pictures of completed work and stuff like that, but don't muck the feed up with personal stuff. Keep in mind people who like this page aren't friends, they're customers, and they're looking for a different experience. Follow strategically, which means pursuing people who are likely to need and have the ability to buy your services. It's a bit longer and more time consuming to build likes this way, but the end result is an audience that actually needs what you have to offer rather than a bunch of random people who couldn't care less.

Sean_DeSilva
01-12-2014, 03:44 AM
Marketing on Facebook and other social media is a lot easier when your company has a guiding vision beyond making money.

Figure out what charities or other noble causes complement your type of business, and make a habit to communicate those ideals in your Facebook posts. Talk about them, link to them, promote their promotions, maybe even consider a joint fundraiser at some point. The goodwill you generate will rub off on your own business and organically draw people to your brand and your website.

NZBSS
01-13-2014, 10:15 AM
I agree with Kristine - keep it totally separate. A personal Facebook page is for family & friends. A business page is for business. I use Facebook targeted adds, started with small budget of like $5.00 a day, and it works form me.

Harold Mansfield
01-13-2014, 12:35 PM
I just feel the need to reiterate that you SHOULD NOT use your personal profile for business. Create a business page and invite your friends to join it.
Do not mix your business with your personal profile. Treat your business like a separate entity, because it is.

kjpublicrelations
01-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Contests and promotions are a great way to get new followers on Facebook. And I agree with the other posters, a Facebook page is proper (vs. a profile). This way you can truly act as your brand online.