PDA

View Full Version : Hostgator/Bluehost/HostMonster down again!

Wozcreative
12-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Looks like hostgator/bluehost/hostmonster is down once again.... Just figure I notify those who may have sites up on those hosting servers.
Keep an eye out for it going back live and any updates. You may want to end up switching depending on what their excuse is this time ;)

Harold Mansfield
12-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Yeah, one of my clients is saying their email is down. Sucks, I have many clients on Bluehost at my suggestion and I've been really happy with the service for at least 3 years now.
Can't wait to hear what the issue is this time.

Wozcreative
12-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Well... they must be working hard getting their servers up! See their live Cam (youtube video) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d4RtvMQp10&feature=youtu.be)

cbscreative
12-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I noticed it too. They've been very reliable until recently. This year has had a lot of outages. I'm seriously considering other options for my clients and I've never had cause for that until now.

jimr451
01-02-2014, 11:21 AM
I agree their outages are really bad for this day and age. I moved to HG earlier this year, after years with 1&1. I encountered more downtime (and major downtime, once about 6-8 hours straight) in a few months than in years with 1&1. If it weren't for the big effort to move again, I'd have left by now.

I hope they will get things straightened out, otherwise I'll be moving my sites again in 2014. :(

-Jim

cbscreative
01-02-2014, 02:09 PM
I agree their outages are really bad for this day and age. I moved to HG earlier this year, after years with 1&1. I encountered more downtime (and major downtime, once about 6-8 hours straight) in a few months than in years with 1&1. If it weren't for the big effort to move again, I'd have left by now.

I hope they will get things straightened out, otherwise I'll be moving my sites again in 2014. :(

-Jim

The irony of that, Jim, is that 1&1 had a terrible reputation at one time and Bluehost and HostGator have had great reps until now. I can't speak for HostMonter's rep. 1&1 developed a nasty rep for holding customers hostage and providing bad service that was extremely difficult to break free from. They've cleaned up their act but it's a bad way to build a business.

I have and have had clients using 1&1 and have never had trouble with them. However, the CP leaves much to be desired compared with companies like Blue and Gator. But a nice CP and features mean little when you have the problems that have sprang up too frequently lately.

vangogh
01-02-2014, 08:19 PM
One of my clients on Bluehost had a site down for a bit. I'm not sure how long, but it was back up within a few hours. I currently recommend both Hostgator and Bluehost and for the most part haven't had any issues with either. The thing I've found with most every host I've used is that the service changes over time and from person to person. It also depends a lot on what kind of hosting you buy. Most people get the lowest cost shared hosting and there can be something of a luck of the draw. If you happen to be on the same server as some sites using too much resources you're going to be affected. A different server with the same company might not have as many problems.

Brian Altenhofel
04-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Apparently, they had issues again yesterday. I saw several people complaining about their dedicated servers in the Utah DC not being accessible for several hours.

Does this mean it's time to send the "you get what you pay for" sales emails again?

Wozcreative
04-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Hahah... yup, they were down for over 12 hours for most people... and some of the dedicated servers were down until this morning still.
I'm thinking of switching my small website to another provider (open to suggestions). I am also going to have to build my client websites on other servers as well. They've been going down too much.

Any suggestions for hosting/email servers that have a robust but easy to use cpanel?

MyITGuy
04-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Apparently, they had issues again yesterday. I saw several people complaining about their dedicated servers in the Utah DC not being accessible for several hours.

Does this mean it's time to send the "you get what you pay for" sales emails again?

Would probably be recommended, especially considering the events surrounding BurstNet (A DC with locations in Florida, Texas, California and Pennsylvania that is aggressively consolidating locations causing weeks of downtime and either lost/abandoned servers)

David Hunter
04-19-2014, 10:40 PM
I'm a fan of GoDaddy.

Their customer service is outstanding!!!

Harold Mansfield
04-20-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm a fan of GoDaddy.

Their customer service is outstanding!!!

I haven't heard anyone say this in at least 3 years.

on_my_own
04-20-2014, 01:03 PM
What are your opinions on using arvixe.com as opposed to hostgator?

billbenson
04-20-2014, 02:52 PM
I haven't heard anyone say this in at least 3 years.

I use them for domain registration and no complaints. You do have to weed through the upsells though. I don't know, but I would thing they would be ok for hosting for newbe's. They have had good customer service the few times I have called them. 20 min hold times, but that’s why God invented speaker phones. I wouldn't use them for hosting for more experienced people though. Also, I wouldn't use the same company for domain registration and hosting, but I think a newbe would be ok with them. I've never heard of any domain squatting issues. with them.

Oh, I'm referring to real hosting, not a website builder. I'm assuming with the right plan they can do a wordpress install in one click.

Harold Mansfield
04-21-2014, 09:51 AM
I use them for domain registration and no complaints. You do have to weed through the upsells though. I don't know, but I would thing they would be ok for hosting for newbe's. They have had good customer service the few times I have called them. 20 min hold times, but that’s why God invented speaker phones. I wouldn't use them for hosting for more experienced people though. Also, I wouldn't use the same company for domain registration and hosting, but I think a newbe would be ok with them. I've never heard of any domain squatting issues. with them.

Oh, I'm referring to real hosting, not a website builder. I'm assuming with the right plan they can do a wordpress install in one click.
I can agree with that. I've never had a problem with them as a domain registrar either. But you are correct, for hosting they would drive an experienced person crazy. Although they do host some high profile web companies.

Harold Mansfield
04-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Never heard of them. But that doesn't mean anything, there are a million hosting companies out there.

Brian Altenhofel
04-21-2014, 02:33 PM

Never heard of them, but I don't use any shared hosting services. The sites I work on tend to handle personally identifiable information, and shared hosting is no man's land for that kind of data (even in transit).

I did go take a look... their ToS is wacky - spells out a formula for refunds due to downtime, then says you can't get a refund for downtime - among other things.

RayC
04-21-2014, 02:48 PM
We use Millennium Systems Inc (http://www.millsysinc.com/) for our websites - One is a hosted website with emails and storage, the other is a url redirect with emails and storage. They can host WordPress and we've gotten great support from them. Mind you though we don't make many changes to the hosted website.

Hope this helps!