PDA

View Full Version : Elevator Pitch - What are the facts?

grasshopper
12-28-2013, 08:44 PM
We have a business plan. We are trying to approach investors.
We know that we need an elevator pitch...but there is much confusion.

Some sites say never to send a business plan, only a powerpoint presentation... we don't have one, we don't own microsoft products. Some sites ask for the business plan and never ask for a powerpoint presentation, only an elevator pitch in writing.

I'm looking for a website that has done the work for us, with a nice template ..either for straight email contact or a powerpoint presentation.

OR...Do we want to hire a company to help us do this? We've never done this before..we are idea guys, not secretaries..we really want to stay away from the mundane stuff and focus on our vision and ideas.

We just can't line it up doing this all ourselves. How _should_ people in our position go about getting a good elevator pitch/presentation when we are not professionals at either?

billbenson
12-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Sounds like you need a good marketing person. Most of the activities you mention can be farmed out. Marketing can include sales, traditional marketing, website management and a bunch of other things. You do need someone inside to manage that if nobody knows marketing.

ARMGenius
12-29-2013, 05:48 AM
We have a business plan. We are trying to approach investors.
We know that we need an elevator pitch...but there is much confusion.

Some sites say never to send a business plan, only a powerpoint presentation... we don't have one, we don't own microsoft products. Some sites ask for the business plan and never ask for a powerpoint presentation, only an elevator pitch in writing.

I'm looking for a website that has done the work for us, with a nice template ..either for straight email contact or a powerpoint presentation.

OR...Do we want to hire a company to help us do this? We've never done this before..we are idea guys, not secretaries..we really want to stay away from the mundane stuff and focus on our vision and ideas.

We just can't line it up doing this all ourselves. How _should_ people in our position go about getting a good elevator pitch/presentation when we are not professionals at either?

You want too find investors... I wouldn't be looking online. Not that you can't find a good lead online, but I don't think it is the best place to start. Your friends and family members should be your first targets. Moving on from them, the local elite in your community. Pick up the phone, call their offices, tell them what you're doing. They know their rich, and they know you and about ten other guys are going to call.

I've started some pretty large companies. I've been down the path of obtaining investment capital from private investors. I'm surprised everyone looks to the internet before the resources sitting right in front of them.

Also, I have to ask, out of concern, if you think that preparing the material for the investors is mundane, and want to focus on just your vision, then what do you plan on doing with investment capital, hiring secretaries? That would concern me if I was an investor. I'm not here to make life easier for you, I'm here to put my money where it needs to go in order to see a return, not necessarily to lessen your daily responsibilities, even if it will help the business in some manner. I hope I worded that correctly. You've got to think everything out, as investors ask tough questions and clearly this is your first rodeo.