PDA

View Full Version : My New Chair Finally Came Today !!:) Productivity Soars !

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2009, 11:26 PM
You really do underestimate how important it is to be comfortable while you are working. 2 weeks ago, my old desk chair took a crap, which means it was probably uncomfortable for some time, I just never put 2 and 2 together.

Instead of ordering, (or going out and buying) one immediately, I put it off and suffered. I probably got half the work done over the last 2 weeks that I would normally do, and some days I didn't sit at my desk at all, because I didn't have a comfortable chair, or took frequent breaks to stretch my legs.

So today my new chair from Amazon finally came...nothing special (it's not one of those Herman Miller $800 jobs or anything), leather, high back, padded arms, but it is new and comfortable.
I probably got 10x's the work done today and never even noticed that I had been sitting for hours.
That crappy chair really did affect my production and I was irritable.

Word to the wise, get a good chair if you spend hours at your desk...it really makes a difference.

vangogh
02-13-2009, 11:51 AM
When I saw the thread title I was wondering if you did get one of those $800 Herman Miller chairs. You're right that being comfortable while working is important and improves productivity.

What kind of chair did you get?

cbscreative
02-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Now none of us here on this forum spend too much time in our chairs, do we?

While my office chairs are very comfortable, I think eborg brought up a good point here, and it's something you might not normally think about. I will say one thing for those Herman Miller chairs. They don't wear out. I got mine used many years ago, which is great way to get them. They were made in 1977 and feel like new yet. Sure the style is a giveaway to their age, but they match my office quite well and work great. I've been told they are actually quite valuable, but I have never looked up the value because I intend to keep them.

Harold Mansfield
02-13-2009, 12:17 PM
When I saw the thread title I was wondering if you did get one of those $800 Herman Miller chairs. You're right that being comfortable while working is important and improves productivity.

What kind of chair did you get?

It's not really anything all that special. I spent about $170 on it, Leather , with the real cushy padding support :)
(Won't let me link to Amazon, but here is the model number: Alera NI41CS10B Nico High-Back Swivel/Tilt Chair, Black).

There are obviously more expensive ergonomic jobs out there, but my favorite work position is : Chair tilted back, Feet on the desk, keyboard on my lap with my elbows resting on the arm rests, iPod jacked in listening to different types of music depending on what site I am working on...so if i am working on my Dance Music blog, I listen to new releases or promos that people have sent in, and so forth.

I didn't realize how used to working that way I had gotten and it threw everything off when I couldn't sit like that anymore. I was extremely discombobulated.(Spell check say's it's right)

It's a good chair for the price if anyone is in the market, very comfortable.
I am going to have to raise my income a little before I can spend $800 chair and not stress out over it.

rezzy
02-13-2009, 01:32 PM
For a $800 chair I would need a high priced desk, computer, etc also. It would feel weird sitting in a chair worth more then everything around it.

Harold Mansfield
02-13-2009, 07:20 PM
For a $800 chair I would need a high priced desk, computer, etc also. It would feel weird sitting in a chair worth more then everything around it.

Yeah, No Doubt.:D When I get the Oak Desk, and a custom system pushing more RAM than a Dodge Truck a Terabyte of memory and 3-4 monitors, then we can talk Herman Miller.
For $800 right now, I could outsource at least 10 small jobs, and get a crap load of articles written.

@ Steve..Is it really that fabulous ? I mean is it really the most comfortable thing ever? I don't think I've even sat in one before.

I'd be like Chis Rock if a salesman told me that price right now..."$800 !! What's it made out of Cocaine !?" (you can delete that if it's out of line)

Going out shopping for a new monitor in a sec, I hear Circuit City is just giving stuff away right now. the Vegas store is selling stuff from the California locations, so we'll see.

cbscreative
02-13-2009, 08:21 PM
The ones I have are not the ultra models, so I can't speak for those. Mine are contemporary (70's contemporary that is), so I was getting at the quality. I have no idea what they went for new. They're not high back either, but I don't work the same way you do. The back has a special eronomic arch making them very comfortable for working at a desk. These are not exec chairs, they're grunt office worker chairs. But I don't get fatigued in them, and being over 30 years old they are also quite durable.

If you have a store in your area that handles used office furniture, it's something to keep in mind. While I wouldn't want to buy cheaper brands used, if you find a good deal on something Herman Miller, you shouldn't have to worry about it wearing out.

Dan Furman
02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
My back has become an issue in the last year, so I invested in a better quality chair about three months ago. Before that, I usually went for the "Staples / Office Depot" special, $150-300 range. And they're fine, but nothing special (and not great for the back).

I don't have a Herman Miller (etc) dealer near me (I looked, because that's the direction I wanted to go). I'd have to see it in person, as I'd want to sit in it first.

But I do have a high quality local office supply store, and went there - got myself a very nice chair. I do not recall the name, but it has everything I want, is adjustable in ways that I never knew a chair could adjust, and it's just perfect. It was about $800, and worth every penny.

billbenson
02-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Was your chair made in china eborg?

Man Vs Machine: Boy Killed Anally When Office Chair Explodes (http://i.gizmodo.com/5157354/boy-killed-anally-when-office-chair-explodes)

Harold Mansfield
02-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Was your chair made in china eborg?

Man Vs Machine: Boy Killed Anally When Office Chair Explodes (http://i.gizmodo.com/5157354/boy-killed-anally-when-office-chair-explodes)
Wow, you had to go and put that image in my mind. I will never be able to sit down in an office chair again and not think about that.

That's just not right:(

vangogh
02-22-2009, 05:31 PM
So now it's dangerous to sit? I thought that was at least one safe thing we could all do. Crazy about the boy. That's not something you ever expect to happen.

Blessed
02-22-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm sitting in my nice Amish made rocking chair with a footstool under my feet and my laptop in my lap - maybe I'll have to stay away from my desk and desk chair now and just work like this more often - it seems that it might be safer...

Oh and my chair looks a lot like this one...
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73/CrazyDogsBlog/ohrocker_a_small1.jpg

it is really comfortable - the contour on the back is perfect!