PDA

View Full Version : Question About Hosting

seolman
02-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I've never worked with Windows Hosting, always preferring to work on LAMP (Linux, Apache MySQL and PHP). I have a situation where for the first time in a decade I will be FORCED against my will to purchase Windows hosting...:mad:

It's for a good friend of mine. I'm helping him set up an auction site and he already purchased the Windows based software so...the things we do for love. :p

I'm looking to Vangogh and others for advice on good sources for Windows hosting. I was going to PM Steve but I figured it would be better to post this here and we can all benefit from the wisdom of whatever answers spew forth from the mass of web wisdom that can only be called "THE STEVE" and other minor deities he has surrounded himself with (bow bow bow)...:D

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to give folks. I am completely ignorant about most things Windows.

Now chocolate? That's another thing!

rezzy
02-12-2009, 12:55 PM
The only windows host that comes to mind is HostGator. I know a friend who hosts Linux with them.

The other way is find a Linux server that uses Chillsoft, although not the best option, because it simulates ASP functionality on Linux.

seolman
02-12-2009, 01:10 PM
The only windows host that comes to mind is HostGator. I know a friend who hosts Linux with them.

The other way is find a Linux server that uses Chillsoft, although not the best option, because it simulates ASP functionality on Linux.

Hey - that's cool. I'm going to do some homework on the Chillsoft. I'd much rather use a Linux option if possible but I'm a little afraid of the learning curve on such short notice. But I could put the software on one of my servers with Chillsoft.

Great advice rezzy. Thanks. Keep 'em coming!

cbscreative
02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Is this friend doing self hosting, or looking for a hosting company that does Windows hosting. If it's the latter, there are a lot of companies that can do this.

We also have a member (pete (http://www.small-business-forum.net/members/pete.html)) who is not super active here, but he does specialize in hosting. You may want to PM him. He was (and is) a long time member of the .com so I respect his advice.

seolman
02-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Is this friend doing self hosting, or looking for a hosting company that does Windows hosting. If it's the latter, there are a lot of companies that can do this.

We also have a member (pete (http://www.small-business-forum.net/members/pete.html)) who is not super active here, but he does specialize in hosting. You may want to PM him. He was (and is) a long time member of the .com so I respect his advice.

Thanks for this tip. I will do that.

rezzy
02-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I like many people stay away from Windows branded products. So, I dont know how well Chillsoft works. But its as close as open source can get to Windows.

SteveC
02-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Our hosting platform of choice is windows and all our own dedicated servers are windows... so we are the complete opposite... I would suggest you steer clear of Chillisoft as that will not really work in that is it designed to run ASP pages but it won't run all of them... whereas windows on the other hand will run php and mysql... so dependant on the software your friend has... he could require a windows server with php and mysql...

And we don't offer shared hosting... but there are lots of companies that do, suggest you start with Pete...

vangogh
02-13-2009, 12:15 AM
While I've worked on several sites sitting on Windows servers I've never set up hosting on Windows since I prefer Linux. I would think the usual suspects that provide decent Linux hosting would also offer decent Windows hosting. Granted they aren't the same, but if you find a company with good customer service you should be fine.

seolman
02-13-2009, 12:20 AM
....but if you find a company with good customer service you should be fine.

..the Holy Grail...

orion_joel
02-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Maybe the holy grail, however something that many businesses seem to be searching for so much still these days.