PDA

View Full Version : I read today that is not necessary to have multiple page website to rank well

snooder
12-17-2013, 04:10 AM
according to matt cutts it doesn't matter if your site is a homepage website. it can still out rank a well multiple page site. any experiences out there with homepage websites?

cbscreative
12-17-2013, 12:56 PM
It depends entirely on your needs and market. Yes, a single page site can rank well and yes I have built single page sites that rank well. The same is true of a small site that's just a few pages.

Google is smart enough to know that, as an example, if you have only one product, you probably don't need more than one page. Anything more might be spam which gets you penalized.

DeniseTaylor
12-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Spammers would probably translate this point as saying the more links to the page the better. Because that's the actually one of the hallmarks of a spammer. Put up a page, then get tons of links to it. That practice would eventually backfire, if it worked at all.

If the page contains valuable information and if visitors to that page react to it better than they react to other competing pages, then yes, it can outrank other pages.

Iconiplex
12-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Spammers would probably translate this point as saying the more links to the page the better. Because that's the actually one of the hallmarks of a spammer. Put up a page, then get tons of links to it. That practice would eventually backfire, if it worked at all.

If the page contains valuable information and if visitors to that page react to it better than they react to other competing pages, then yes, it can outrank other pages.
A spammer, sure, given that by nature all a spammer does is spam. I believe, however, you are trying to allude to blackhat SEO, and no blackhat would ever advocate relying on a one-page site unless you know you can get away with it, and before even talking about "spamming" backlinks, they would tell you you needed to have damn good on-page optimization for your one page before even worrying about off-site, which is certainly the case here.

vangogh
12-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Nothing is really necessary. You can be successful with a single page site. You can be successful with a thousand page site. Regardless of what Matt Cutts said, however, I'd sooner go with the multipage site. More pages usually means more opportunity to appear in the results. Google has typically shown a preference for larger sites probably because of the increased opportunities.

Ultimately I'd build the best site for the people who you want to visit. If that means it's a one page site, build a one page site. If it means multiple pages would be better, then create multiple pages. I wouldn't decide how many pages the site should have based on whether or not Google is ok with a certain amount of pages.

marrick
12-18-2013, 03:53 AM
I think practically, you can maximize your site's performance by having multiple pages rather than 1 page website especially if you are doing some tweaks to it. Regularly, one page websites are long ones that you need to scroll down if you want to see additional information. On the other side, having a multiple page website allows you to divide it into portions which can give users a good experience.