PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a collections agency

nealrm
02-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Has anyone used a collection agency that they are willing to refer? I have an account that unfortunately needs some incentive to pay her bill. :(

CraigFLA
02-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Here's my experiences.... I've tried them off and on for the last 10 years and never had any reasonable results with them. There is only one case, some 5 years ago, where I actually RECEIVED some money -- about $50--- after they took their part and only after I found out from my customer that they had paid. I then had to fight with the agency to get my small part. One place actually took my money and never gave it to me! Most of these places are borderline bad businesses because they have to be in order to get the money. I still use them now but with the understanding that i just want to make it difficult for places that refuse to pay their debt. So I look for the "pit bull" agency that keeps calling and "harassing" them to let them know that not paying their debts isn't a good thing. Of course I really do know that they don't really care anyway or they would actually pay. Once you turn one of these places on them, don't count on them ever being a customer again.

I actually did try a legitimate place once that follows all the rules. They call only during the proper hours and say only the legal things. They do report to the credit bureaus so it will be on their credit record but most deadbeats don't care anyway.

The other alternative is small claims court but that usually doesn't help you against the true deadbeats anyway. The end result of that is usually a default judgment(because they never showed), which you can paper your walls with. But.. I have received the best results by threating court suit. I usually fill out the paperwork and send it to them saying if they don't send my money, I will be filing this in court...

phanio
02-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Have you done everything that you possible can. I understand that, depending on the time past due, these companies that 25% to 90% of the account. While getting something is better than nothing - how good is this customer overall? Would you like to keep him?

Have you talked face-to-face? Have you sent a polite legal letter? Is the person just having a hard time and could pay later? And, could you set up some payment options (e.g. $20 per weeks)?

Just some thoughts

nealrm
02-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I've exhausted every option that that I can think of. She was given the option of sending monthly payments of the amount she choose. She was given the option of paying on a credit card. Three months ago she promised a payment if we gave her until the end of the month. No payment.

She has received monthly statements, detailing the amount due and why. We have also sent her letters requesting payment.

At this point we have not received any payments in 8 months, so it's time to bring this to an end. I have terminated her account with us and notified her that she no longer has permision to use any of the photos. Maybe that will encourage her to pay.

huggytree
02-12-2009, 10:49 AM
i have been told that collections agencies dont do well.

ask for their %'s

id go right to small claims court. im 2 weeks away from doing the same.

i am a member of prepaid legal and for $20 a month i get all the legal letters i want for free...i can send a customer a legal letter letting them know small claims court is coming.

everyone is having trouble collecting from what ive heard.