PDA

View Full Version : Direct mailing legal issues

cocoy
02-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Are there any legal issues that one needs to be aware about when it comes to direct mailing?

Something like those email spam laws?

My customer base is specific and all my mailings are targeted. I just find names and companies via the phone book or internet.

Steve B
02-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Not that I am aware of. If you pay the proper postage and have it addressed correctly it needs to be delivered. You can check out the Direct Mail Marketing Association for a better answer or the usps.com site.

thx4yrtym
02-11-2009, 05:50 PM
You might want to familiarize yourself with the rules regarding HIPAA. That's one area that I know there can be issues. If you expose sensitive medical info in your mailings you could have problems. I had a client who wanted to send out postcards to patients reminding them of their next appointment but couldn't do it because it would be exposed to the public on the card.

Regards,

KristineS
02-12-2009, 01:04 PM
The direct mail laws are less stringent than the e-mail spam laws. I don't think there's much to be aware of, except I do believe there is something for postal mail similar to the "do not call" thing they have for telephone solicitations.

O.k., just did a search and there are voluntary programs, but nothing government mandated.

You might want to check out the Direct Marketing Association (http://www.the-dma.org/index.php). There might be information there that could answer some of your questions.

Paul Elliott
02-16-2009, 10:17 AM
O.k., just did a search and there are voluntary programs, but nothing government mandated.

You might want to check out the Direct Marketing Association (http://www.the-dma.org/index.php). There might be information there that could answer some of your questions.

The DMA keeps a list of people (individuals) who don't want to receive unsolicited bulk mail, e.g., catalogs. Large mailers run their lists against this list.

Most list brokers do the same thing as a courtesy to the list purchaser so as not to raise the ire of any recipients.

It does not apply to businesses.

I don't think any governmental entity imposes any sanctions.

Paul

IT-GUY
02-19-2009, 03:13 AM
The DMA keeps a list of people (individuals) who don't want to receive unsolicited bulk mail, e.g., catalogs. Large mailers run their lists against this list.

This works for me. I sent snailmail to the DMA a couple of times, asking them to put me on their "Do Not Mail To List" at least twice in the last 10 years. I was getting so much junk, and I just hate it. It cut my junk mail down by at least 90%.

And I agree, this is a lot like the telephone "DO NOT CALL". There are some who do not fall under the "Do Not Call" rules. And there are some junk mailers who don't work with the DMA and aren't "large mailers".

I still got junk from local folks trying to loan me money. I would call them and ask them how they got my mailing address. One actually said "from the phone book". I believe it, because it was hand addressed. What a hoot. I would ask them to tak me off of their list. Then I got something (same lending company) from another nearby town. It finally fizzeled out.. Thank God!

Oh, did I mention I really dislike junk mail?:D

Paul Elliott
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Oh, did I mention I really dislike junk mail?:D

I did too until I developed an interest in marketing about 30 years ago. Then, I began to study them.

If you see something mailed again and again, you can be sure it's working. If you only see it once it didn't do very well. If it had, the company would have done more of them. If the company is no longer in business, this is another evidence that it didn't work well--at least well enough to keep them in business.

For every piece I got, I crudely analyzed it to see if I could figure out which ones would be coming again and which would not. As time went on, I got better at those assessments.

Of course, the catalogs are a little different, since they present large groups of items. However, analyzing those from the same company month compared to month.

Many are doing split testing and are making changes based on the results.

See what the new products are. Check the ads for the same products. Are they different? If so, how?

See if any are using DAK's principle of mailing the same catalog in a different wrapper.

Paul

huggytree
02-24-2009, 10:17 AM
i send out mailers to all my potential customers (500 of them) every 3 months...been doing it for 2 years now...never 1 complaint

i do follow up with phone calls and i have had some people seem angry to hear from me (annoyed).....for the most part people are glad to hear from me...i keep the phone calls quick and to the point though.

no one gets angry over targeted mail...no laws that im aware of

Paul Elliott
02-24-2009, 10:41 AM
i send out mailers to all my potential customers (500 of them) every 3 months...been doing it for 2 years now...never 1 complaint

Send them tips on care of plumbing issues, e.g., water heater maintenance, washing machine/dryer care, etc.--one with every mailing. That way they will enjoy seeing them come and remember your tips.

i do follow up with phone calls and i have had some people seem angry to hear from me (annoyed).....for the most part people are glad to hear from me...i keep the phone calls quick and to the point though.

Offer a completely free, no strings attached, inspection of some sort. If there is an issue, state it in writing, give them the statement, and urge them to have it attended to assuring them that you do such work--offer a killer deal if they want to engage you at the time--but reminding them that any qualified plumber can take care of it.

If they don't take you up on it, write a card several days later re-stating the issue and offering again to fix it or answer any questions.

Paul

bwat05
03-15-2009, 09:47 PM
I was in real estate for awhile so I would check the public record once another agents listing expired so that I could contact the homeowner. Almost all were on the do-not-call list so I never bothered with phone calls.
The public record (tax records) would indicate 'NO MAIL' from time to time so I would refrain from sending a post card. I know some pushy-types would do it anyway though. I don't recall ever hearing about direct mail complaints though.

Paul Elliott
03-16-2009, 02:26 AM
The public record (tax records) would indicate 'NO MAIL' from time to time so I would refrain from sending a post card. I know some pushy-types would do it anyway though. I don't recall ever hearing about direct mail complaints though.

It just makes good sense to do marketing this way, doesn't it.

Paul